NSW team to beat Queensland in 2012

ScottWoodward.me Roar Rookie

By ScottWoodward.me, ScottWoodward.me is a Roar Rookie

, , , , ,

We all know what happened in the 2011 State of Origin series. So how’s this for a New South Wales Origin team for 2012?

Fullbacks: Josh Dugan or Brett Stewart.
    Wingers: Akuila Uate and Brett Morris.
    Centres: Michael Jennings and Mark Gasnier.
    Second receiver: Jarryd Hayne.
    Halfback: Todd Carney.
    Hooker: Kurt Gidley.
    Props: Gallen and Keith Galloway.
    Second row: Ben Creagh and Glenn Stewart.
    Lock: Luke Lewis.
    Bench: Anthony Watmough, Jamal Idris, Tariq Sims and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

Big games are decided by the crucial 1, 6, 7 and 9 spine positions, and NSW Blues coach and selector Ricky Stuart got it horribly wrong during the 2011 series.

I cannot find a place for any of his starting spine players he chose in the deciding Origin III. All four are outclassed by their Maroon counterparts.

The selection of Minichiello was more incompetent than embarrassing, but the Blues will gain a huge boost with either Dugan or Stewart, who are both world class and arguably in the same class as Slater.

Jamie Soward and Mitch Pearce are both wonderful clubs players but can only ever be described as “handy” at the elite level. “Handy” is simply not good enough when you have to counter Jonathan Thurston.

The troubled Todd Carney has the god given talent to equal any player, and if he can get his head right and find his best form, he would be an automatic selection.

Jarryd Hayne is too good to be left out (as he was in Origin I) or put on the bench, and he certainly adds more to the Blues at second receiver than what Jamie Soward has. Importantly, Hayne and Carney are both freakish and would complement each other well and be a major worry for Mal Meninga who has not lost much sleep over the Soward-Pearce pairing.

Kurt Gidley is one of the best and fittest players in the world and could do a Cam Smith and play for 80 minutes offering an extra interchange.

Lewis is a better player than Bird and should start. I would add to the bench Jamal Idris, Tariq Sims and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs who are all impact players.

Gone would be Anthony Minichiello, Jamie Soward, Mitchell Pearce, Michael Ennis and Tim Mannah. Beau Scott and Greg Bird would also go despite the fact they both went well this year, but unfortunately there are players in their positions who offer more to the team.

So, there is my blueprint pipe dream for a winning Blues team. I would back this team to win more games than they lose, but sadly that is all it is, a dream.

As long as NSW have a dictator as a coach who wants to be sole selector and god, the Maroons will continue to have the edge.

The Maroons have lost Lockyer and probably Petero, but they will get back Shillington, Taylor, Te’o, Costigan and Crocker to consider and may introduce big Rooster prop Martin Kennedy along with future national rep player Matt Gillett.

Leading try scorer Ben Barba could be a bench consideration. The Maroons will lose young Raider forward Josh Papalii to New Zealand, although maybe the new IC will correct that dumb clause.

With a Queenslander tipped to be the new chairman of the Independent Commission, it is unlikely that NSW will get independent selectors.

This video could win $10,000!

It's one of the favourites to take out the Club Roar most popular video award on Monday!

• July 12th 2011 @ 7:58am
      JCVD said | July 12th 2011 @ 7:58am | ! Report

I completely agree with Kurt Gidley at Hooker! Im a passionate QLD fan but when Gidley comes in at hooker, NSW or any team that he plays for, he has a knack of getting a good roll on and speeding up the game.

Brett Morris is an over rated player. There are plenty of other wingers from NSW who are much better. Uate is a gun and I think he was NSW best player of the series. Everytime he touched the ball I had my heart in my throat as he was constantly making half breaks and was very dangerous.

Apart from that if you compare QLD players in same positions we are still miles in front in the majority of postions. Slater, Inglis, Thurston, Cronk, Smith, Scott and list goes on 🙂

July 12th 2011 @ 3:10pm
        ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:10pm | ! Report

JCVD
        Thats not correct. Lets stick to the spine.
        I think Slater is the best 1 I have seen, but history may say in 10 years that Dugan is better. The fact that I am even saying this puts them both in the same bracket. Game 1 proved that.
        I think Carney has more god given talent than Cronk and certainly equal or better.
        If Hayne can get used to 6 there is no doubt that he can give Thurston a run for his money in an Origin series. Thurston is clearly number 1 but Hayne is world class which is not something we have ben able to say about our 6 since Fittler and Daley.
        You have already pointed out how good Gids is at 9 and like Smith will will offer an extra interchange.
        I rated the game 3 spine 8 points behind Qld but this spine would be much closer.

• July 20th 2011 @ 11:06am
          Tom said | July 20th 2011 @ 11:06am | ! Report

2012 state of origin

Fullbacks- Hayne (if injured stewart, Dugan, or Mini)
          Wingers- Uate and Morris or TRex Williams (otherwise D.Simmons) Morris defence can be horrible over the past origins and even this year.
          Centres- Jennings and Idris (need that speed and physicality)
          Five eigths- Soward (proved very good in game 2-3)
          Half back- Carney, Mullen or Pearce
          Hooker- Ennis (maybe even Farah)
          Props- Kade Snowden and Gallen
          Second row- Ben Creagh and Watmough
          Lock- G. Bird

Bench: Glen Stewart, Kurt Gidley, Luke Lewis and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs. (or beau champion and tariq simms, B. Anasta and Hindmarsh also notible mentions.

• August 27th 2011 @ 11:57pm
          Tom said | August 27th 2011 @ 11:57pm | ! Report

Creagh is not as good as Bird so start him, some issued the stats b4 and here they are
          stats are as follows
          Creagh and Bird:
          Game 1: Bird 89m and 28 tackles, 4 tackle breaks and 1 try assist, Creagh 40m and 19 tackles, no tackle breaks or try assists
          Game 2: Bird 105m and 24 tackles, Creagh 73m and 26 tackles, 2 tackle breaks a piece
          As you can see Bird puts in more work
          Why not Hayne at Fullback or Wing where he is best?
          Why not Kade Snowden and Tom L L?

• July 12th 2011 @ 8:05am
      Dingo Bob said | July 12th 2011 @ 8:05am | ! Report

Keep dreaming Scotty one day it might come true if you squeeze your eyes shut really tight and wish three times upon the morning star. But more likely not.

July 12th 2011 @ 3:15pm
        ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:15pm | ! Report

Bob
        My team has no hope of happening as politics will be involved and Ricky will pick his favs again like Pearce and Bird. Q’Land have a separate very professional selection group who seem to get it right every year.
        Based on what we have seen, Stuart should never be aloud to select anyone.

• July 12th 2011 @ 3:16pm
          Steggz said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:16pm | ! Report

Care to think about Game 2? Or any of the games for that matter, for this side has done better than any other NSW side for a long time!

• July 12th 2011 @ 8:57am
      league guru said | July 12th 2011 @ 8:57am | ! Report

Your picking the side a bit early champ. I sure that NSW will have at least another couple of (best players in the world) emerge by then.

July 12th 2011 @ 3:17pm
        ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:17pm | ! Report

Guru
        No doubt there will, but my point is NSW cannot select “handy” players in the crucial spine positions. Ennis, Perace, Soward and Mini are nothing more than good club players which is not good enough for Origin, especially in the spine.

July 12th 2011 @ 9:36am
      M1tch said | July 12th 2011 @ 9:36am | ! Report

Tariq Sims is a player we need to pick and stick with, he will be a star!

July 12th 2011 @ 3:18pm
        ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:18pm | ! Report

Mitch
        He is a star now. he will be good off the bench.

• July 12th 2011 @ 10:03am
      Steggz said | July 12th 2011 @ 10:03am | ! Report

Getting rid of Soward is ridiculous. It was hard for Soward to work wonders when QLD had so much ball (look at how Thurston and Lockyer struggled in Game 2 without the ball!) And Gidley works better as a bench impact. I’d put Farah at 9 with GIdley off the bench. That’s what you don’t have on the bench: a hooker/half impact player.

July 12th 2011 @ 3:20pm
        ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:20pm | ! Report

Steggz
        If I can be brutally honest, Soward would not play ist grade at club level if he could not kick. Lockyer made him look sick.

• July 12th 2011 @ 3:22pm
          Steggz said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:22pm | ! Report

Absolute hogwash. His defense has markedly improved in the last 18 months, and he’s growing in confidence to run at the line

July 12th 2011 @ 3:24pm
          ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:24pm | ! Report

Steggz
          also
          When you have Lewis in the team he can play any position in the backline if there is an injury.

• July 12th 2011 @ 3:28pm
            Steggz said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:28pm | ! Report

A bench needs to have a front rower, a forward who can play either front or back row, a back rower who can cover the centres and a utility, who can especially play 6/7/9. Lewis is not a 7 or 9, he can cover centres and he might be sufficient to play 6 (he’s probably do a better job than Bird!), and therefore there’s a need for a player like Gidley to be on the bench.

July 12th 2011 @ 3:39pm
              ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:39pm | ! Report

Gids is the fittest player in the NRL and it is a waste to have a true 80 mins player on the bench. You are giving Qland an advantage as Cam Smith plays 80 mins.

• July 12th 2011 @ 3:41pm
                Steggz said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:41pm | ! Report

But would Gidley have the same impact as an 80minute player? I think his impact in Game 2 was due to him playing off the bench, whereas he didn’t have such a major impact with 60 minutes in Game 3

• July 12th 2011 @ 3:40pm
              mushi said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:40pm | ! Report

The bench – hell the starting 13 needs another prop.

But hey it worked so well last week…

• July 15th 2011 @ 3:10pm
          George G said | July 15th 2011 @ 3:10pm | ! Report

thats just like saying Nadal wouldnt be playing pro tennis if he didnt have his forehand or Kobe Bryant wouldnt be in the nba if he couldnt shoot.

• July 12th 2011 @ 11:31am
      Jimbo said | July 12th 2011 @ 11:31am | ! Report

I don’t think Gasnier has done much to deserve selection after this series. Also Steggz is correct in saying that it is unfair to judge Soward based upon the ball he had. I agree that Mitch Pearce shouldn’t be anywhere near a rep jersey again though.
      Hayne was tried and failed at 5/8 for Parra. He has had success on the wing for NSW, so why not select him there and get rid of the over-rated Morris at the same time?

Gidley for mine has never put in a particularly compelling performance at origin (he was alright in 2010 I will admit), but he has a tendency to overplay his hand and steal the thunder of the halves. Farah is clearly the best hooker NSW have. I am sick of this nonsense about Ennis being an ‘origin player’ – he is just a grub.

Watmough can play 80 minutes, I would have him starting and Luke Lewis as the utility on the bench. Greg Bird has been solid at origin, and I can’t think why you would leave him out – especially for the powder puff Ben Creagh. Creagh’s best performance this year was in Game II for 73m and 26 tackles – hardly a huge justification to keep him in there.

Of course I would rather select players on form, and a lot can change between now and Origin 2012

July 12th 2011 @ 3:32pm
        ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:32pm | ! Report

Jimbo
        U made many comments that made sense but let yourself down with others.
        Lewis is also an 80 min player and a much better player than Bird which leaves Bird out as he is too small for the back row.
        I agree that Gids can be greedy but that can easily be coached, however I am a Farah fan and would not bag him.
        Jimbo, I assure you than Creagh is crucial to how the Dragons go. he is very important to them in both attack and defence and they are not as good without him. His in my team.
        Dont judge Hayne on previous years at 5/8 as he has never had good service from 7.
        Sadly if Sandow plays 7 for Parra next year the same will probably happen again at club level but he would be great with Carney for NSW.

• July 12th 2011 @ 3:34pm
          Steggz said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:34pm | ! Report

Except that Sandow is a Queenslander…

July 12th 2011 @ 3:36pm
            ScottWoodward.me said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:36pm | ! Report

Steggz
            Fanks scoop….I was referring to club level with Sandow. READ!

• July 12th 2011 @ 3:47pm
              Steggz said | July 12th 2011 @ 3:47pm | ! Report

Apologies. But even so, with Roberts and Sandow coming in, is Hayne a cert to play 6 next year??

• July 12th 2011 @ 4:08pm
          Jimbo said | July 12th 2011 @ 4:08pm | ! Report

Scott, I will let the statistics do the talking re. Creagh and Bird:
          Game 3: Bird 85m and 37 tackles, 5 tackle breaks, Creagh 65m and 25 tackles, no tackle breaks.

There is a big difference between club football and origin – Creagh is a good club man and nothing more. He has not performed at origin level. Hence, I would have Creagh missing out and not Bird.

And with Hayne, he has never performed at 5/8. We know he can perform at wing, and it gives the added bonus of not having to select Morris. So why not do that? Soward isn’t a Lockyer but he is a serviceable player, and doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

, , , , ,