Green keen for re-match with Mundine
A boxing re-match between arch rivals Danny Green and Anthony Mundine is back on the cards, but whether the long-anticipated fight will actually go ahead remains up in the air.
Green has been desperate to avenge his 2006 loss to Mundine, even coming out of retirement in 2009 to take up the offer of a re-match.
Negotiations swiftly broke down and the difference in weight between the men has proved to be a continual stumbling block.
In 2006, Green struggled to make the super-middleweight limit of 76.2kg in his points loss.
The pair have gone in drastically different directions since then, Mundine dropping to the light-middleweight limit (69.9kg) and Green moving up to cruiserweight (90.7kg).
Despite the difference in body mass, the pair have re-ignited talk of a re-match in recent days, with Mundine even declaring he would contemplate conceding 10kg to ensure the fight goes ahead.
“Choc has come out and said that he’s been chasing the big fights, and he’s finally come to his senses and realised the biggest fight anywhere in the world is right here in his backyard in Australia against myself,” Green said on Friday.
“He’s also said he’s prepared to give away 10 kilograms to make this fight happen to prove he’s the best.
“I’m just saying, if you want to put on the biggest fight this country has ever seen, if you want to back your mouth up, then I’m here and I’m ready to go.”
Green has tasted euphoric highs and devastating lows since coming out of retirement three years ago.
In 2009, Green was on top of the world after retaining his IBO cruiserweight world title with a first-round knockout of legendary American Roy Jones Jr in Sydney.
But consecutive losses to Antonio Tarver and Krzysztof Wlodarczyk has left some critics questioning whether Green should retire.
Mundine, who recently opted against taking on WBA champion Austin Trout, has struggled in his bid to crack the lucrative American market.© AAP 2014