Palu keen to repay Waratahs

By ,

 , , ,

30 Have your say

    Waratahs coach Michael Foley has hailed Wycliff Palu’s decision to extend his contract with NSW as a massive vote of confidence in the Super Rugby outfit’s current roster.

    Palu will remain with NSW for at least another season after signing a new one-year deal.

    “It’s a great endorsement for the guys that he plays with,” Foley said.

    “They’re a good bunch of blokes and he wants to keep playing with them.

    “He’s one of those rare forwards that has that x-factor, he can do things in a game that other people can’t.”

    The 29-year-old Palu, capped 38 times by the Wallabies, feels another season in the NSW and Australian system will help him become the dominant force he was before being hampered by injuries in recent times.

    “At the moment I’ve finally got back to where I am playing footy week in, week out, and if I was to leave, all that hard work would be undone,” Palu said.

    “After another six months playing here, and another full pre-season I think I’ll definitely be back to where I want to be.”

    The dynamic No.8, who attracted interest from Japanese clubs, said that playing overseas is an option he is keen to explore when his next contract expires at the end of 2013 season.

    After a frustrating 23-6 loss to the Brumbies last weekend, Foley said his team is looking forward to returning home to Allianz Stadium.

    “We can’t get away from the fact that we are very disappointed about the result from the weekend,” he said.

    “We spoke today about significance of playing in front of our home crowd.”

    In-form winger Tom Kingston remains a key injury concern for the Waratahs as they prepare for Friday night’s clash with the Bulls.

    “He got a nasty quad cork, which at the moment is the thing stopping him from training, not his hamstring,” Foley said.

    Hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, who suffered a heavy head-knock against the Brumbies, will also be assessed later in the week.

    “He’s not too bad today although we sent him home so he could take a little bit longer to recuperate,” Foley said.

    “We’re hopeful, but we won’t be making any hasty calls.”

    © AAP 2017