Webber should consider Ferrari, says Jones
Australia’s last Formula One world champion Alan Jones has backed a possible move by Mark Webber to Ferrari saying it would inject a “breath of fresh air” into the latter stages of his compatriot’s career.
Webber thrust himself firmly into contention for this season’s F1 world title with the eighth victory of his career on Sunday, and second around Monaco.
Webber has hauled himself level on points alongside Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel, with the duo three adrift of Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari.
The suggestion has long been this would 35-year-old Webber’s final season with Red Bull, who he has driven for since 2007, although given he has been linked with Ferrari as a replacement for Felipe Massa, he could be lured to Maranello for a swansong end to his days in Formula One.
Jones, the 1980 world champion for Williams, says driving for Ferrari is something that every F1 driver aspires to, and that Webber should consider a stint at the famous Italian team.
“Mark has already done one of the two things that most Formula One drivers would like to do, and that’s win Monaco – the other one is to drive for Ferrari,” Jones said.
“I’m sure he’d have a look at it. If he goes to Ferrari, it could be a breath of fresh air – it’s very prestigious and something really good to have on your CV.
“He gets on extremely well with Alonso, so maybe that could be a good way for him to go.
“Personally, I think that Mark is with a good team (but) having said that, if he signed on with Red Bull next year, he’s still going to have Vettel as his teammate, which is a pretty hard task.”
Meanwhile, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner can see no reason why Webber would want to leave – even if Ferrari came calling.
“Why would he want to leave?” Horner asked.
“He is comfortable in the team. The team know Mark very well and he knows the team very well.
“We are only at race six and a lot depends on his motivation and desire going forward which, at the moment, looks very clear.”
Webber is on a rolling one-year contract although, over the past two years, has signed at different stages.
Two years ago, he put pen to paper on a deal for 2011 during the course of the Monaco Grand Prix but, last year, did not sign up for this season until very late in the day.
It is clear no talks have yet taken place on the prospect of staying on for next year, as Horner said: “We’re only in May this year.
“Mark is doing a good job, so let’s focus on his latest Monaco win and his future will take care of itself.
“We have a very open and straightforward relationship with Mark and this does not change that situation.”© AAP 2013
The Roar is giving you the chance to win 1 of 19 prize packs to Australian Open 2014! Each lucky winner will receive four evening tickets to Rod Laver Arena, plus access to 3 hours in the Heineken VIP Bar. Enter here.