Moltzen happy to seal Tigers NRL deal
Tim Moltzen admits his form and focus were affected by uncertainty surrounding his future with the Wests Tigers and vowed to return to his best after agreeing to a new three-year deal.
Moltzen was at the centre of a war of words between the Tigers and St George Illawarra last year after agreeing to an early release from his contract to join the Dragons for the start of this season.
The Tigers accused the joint-venture of being arrogant and disrespectful by announcing the deal without their knowledge just hours before a Friday night clash with Parramatta last July.
Dragons chief executive Peter Doust denied the claims, but his club were fuming later in the year and considering legal action when Moltzen reneged on the deal, opting to stay with the Tigers.
Moltzen, who battled back from a serious knee injury last year, was given a red-hot welcome by Dragons supporters when his side played at Kogarah in round three.
And although he admits his confidence was affected, the versatile 23-year-old is delighted to have agreed terms with the Tigers.
“It’s good to have some security at the club I love and the chance to keep playing with some of my closest mates,” Moltzen said
“It was tough heading out to that game at Kogarah and then losing the game made it worse.
“Everything that happened in the off-season got to me a little bit.
“I went into my shell and let it affect me, which is why I am happy with nutting this out and have a new contract.”
Back-rower Adam Blair says he can’t wait to get back into action after missing last Saturday’s win over Penrith due to suspension.
The New Zealand Test star was banned after being found guilty of unnecessary contact with the leg of Canterbury centre Josh Morris last week.
“It’s always tough sitting on the sidelines watching your team play without you,” Blair said.
“You feel pretty helpless and can’t help out. It happened so quick. I got done for a leg pull but it is over now and we move on.”
Blair is no stranger to the judiciary, but the 26-year-old said he did not feel he was being picked on because of his reputation or the fact he is a former Melbourne player.
The Storm have been heavily criticised for their wrestling techniques in the play-the-ball, but Blair said he has no problems with the officials.
“Refs watch everyone that plays, mine is just a name they call out along with everyone else,” he said.
“I just try and stay away from those things. I work hard on the ground, but I got in trouble last week and I have to work harder on improving what I do.”© AAP 2013
The Roar is giving you the chance to win 1 of 19 prize packs to Australian Open 2014! Each lucky winner will receive four evening tickets to Rod Laver Arena, plus access to 3 hours in the Heineken VIP Bar. Enter here.
The Roar needs an editor! Tristan is off to tackle a new role with us over on Techly.com.au, which means we're looking for someone to fill his boots. Love sport, know digital publishing (yes, that does mean being a bit of computer guru) and keen to work with the team in Newcastle? If you're a proven superstar, or someone on the rise with a record to back it up, we want to hear from you. Apply now!
We're also looking for freelance writers who know tech, gadgets, games and trends inside and out to join us on this new adventure. Get in touch if you've got the goods.