Live scores
vs
Reds : 19
| Fulltime

CAMPO: What I really meant with my Tweet

The Roar Roar Guru

By The Roar,

I’ve been saying things all my life which are controversial and it’s one of those things that they occasionally cause more of a stir than I intended them to.

This is what happened today. I read an article by the Sydney Morning Herald’s Georgina Robinson about the Wallabies over in Europe. I’ve been reading her articles for a while and I have nothing against her, she’s doing her job.

But I felt that with the Wallabies struggling – Deans has not done the job for Australia – we needed someone like (former Fairfax rugby writer) Greg Growden to get stuck into the real issues.

So I tweeted about this.

My wording wasn’t the greatest and people take offence against these things. I do apologise.

But my point was that if we had someone over in Europe covering the Wallabies who’d been in the job for longer, like Growden, then we’d have had a tougher line in the article. We need this. As I’ve been saying on The Roar for a while, Deans isn’t doing the job. We need someone else to lead the Wallabies forward.

But using the term ‘girl’ in the tweet wasn’t the greatest, I accept that. I was getting at the need for someone with more experience. A journo who has been in the job longer would have gone a lot harder – that’s my point.

The thing about Twitter is that it’s so immediate. You can say something on it and people can respond straight away. And that’s great. But I made a mistake with the way I said it. But Gillard’s trying to use the sexist thing about everything right now in Australia – I’m not sexist but the way it came out wasn’t right.

This was one of those comments you make, it came out wrong, and things just went from there.

So I apologise for the offense it may have caused some people. My words weren’t the greatest. But I hope we can look at the real point I was trying to make: that Deans hasn’t done the job for Australia and we need the media to be pointing this out.

This video could win $10,000!

It's one of the favourites to take out the Club Roar most popular video award on Monday!

• November 28th 2012 @ 6:20pm
      BrindiCruiser said | November 28th 2012 @ 6:20pm | ! Report

Campo – we all make mistakes and say the wrong thing. BUT When you say the “tweet wasn’t the greatest”, you sound worse than the Fonz trying to say sss.ssss sorry. I get that you were trying to say a more experienced journo would have gone harder, but that is not what you said in the tweet.

• November 28th 2012 @ 7:32pm
        joe b said | November 28th 2012 @ 7:32pm | ! Report

agreed. Say you are wrong and sorry (if you mean it), don’t be a gutless cop out and say it “wasn’t the greatest”. Your use of the term “girl” was clearly meant to be derogatory, very sad that you think that way about half the population. As you say tweeting is immediate…may I suggest you take a few deep breathes next time before you start tweeting. It is ironic that the backs seem to have the brain snaps but it is the forwards who get the head injuries.

November 28th 2012 @ 10:07pm
          Shop said | November 28th 2012 @ 10:07pm | ! Report

• November 28th 2012 @ 11:45pm
          Fishface said | November 28th 2012 @ 11:45pm | ! Report

Agreed – if when you mean to say “callow and not up to the job” but the word that unthinkingly comes to mind for that is “girl”, then yes, that makes you a sexist.

• November 28th 2012 @ 6:35pm
      Harfish said | November 28th 2012 @ 6:35pm | ! Report

Bollocks, you made a grossly sexist remark and are now trying to deflect the criticism by claiming you were “misunderstood” or “joking” (the final refuge of a bully asked to back up his words), and then confuse the issue by having a dig at Deans. Instead of being a man about it and apologising, you’re just diging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself by trying to justify it.

You owe Georgina Robinson a personal and heart felt appology, but I doubt you are man enough.

November 28th 2012 @ 9:28pm
        Phil Bird said | November 28th 2012 @ 9:28pm | ! Report

Suggesting that taking responsibility for your actions is “being a man” is a totally ironic thing to say.

It’s as sexist as anything David Campese said.

When Greg Growden left the SMH a few months back there were plenty of people slating him

Why, when the critisism is levelled at a lady, or an observation at her lack of experience in a subject matter, does society have a collective aneurysm?

Frankly, like Campese, I’d also like more insight into the game than SMH are giving me. That’s why I log onto The Roar – to get my fix.

• November 29th 2012 @ 12:04pm
          Bakkies said | November 29th 2012 @ 12:04pm | ! Report

Growden was only let go last month.

• November 29th 2012 @ 2:02pm
          Fishface said | November 29th 2012 @ 2:02pm | ! Report

Phil – “criticism” wasn’t “levelled at a lady” – that’s the whole point. It’s not sexist to say Jane Doe is an idiot who doesn’t know what she’s doing. It IS sexist to use the term “girl” as shorthand for being an idiot who doesn’t know what they’re doing – which is what Campese had done.

If his tweet had been “Why is an unqualified and incompetent person writing about rugby” then there would be no complaints about this. What Campese did was to trivialise an entire gender by suggesting that none of us could be competent to write about rugby.

And to those claiming this is political correctness gone mad, or other such cliches – no, it isn’t. This sort of thinnking is exactly why women are unperpaid and marginalised or don’t get jobs at all. It has a real, measurable and significant adverse effect on our economic and social status and wellbeing. Campese suggested that Robinson should not be employed to do what she does not on the basis of whether she was competent or not, but simply because she was “a girl” (and by definition therefore not competent).

This isn’t some theoretical discussion about a feminist hypothesis. This is a discussion of a real assertion that a real person should be deprived of her real livelihood on the basis of her gender.

• November 29th 2012 @ 4:46pm
            Bball gurl said | November 29th 2012 @ 4:46pm | ! Report

Well said Fishface

• December 3rd 2012 @ 1:50pm
            Jen said | December 3rd 2012 @ 1:50pm | ! Report

Hear, hear Fishface!!!

• November 28th 2012 @ 6:35pm
      oncewerewallabies said | November 28th 2012 @ 6:35pm | ! Report

Oh Campo! Sometimes it’s best to just accept what you said and not respond…..
      You did mean what you said and I’m certain there are a number of readers (including me) which agree with you…
      Georgina is the least bit critical of Robbie and quite frankly, we did require a correspondent with more guts and nerve to put Robbie and his men to the sword…
      Grow up Australia…one tweet shouldn’t diminish the value Campo has added to Australian Rugby

• November 28th 2012 @ 8:16pm
        Frank black said | November 28th 2012 @ 8:16pm | ! Report

Your right, dont judge him for the tweet just the astoundingly gutless defence if it he published…using gillard as a human shield was breathtaking and gutless. Get off twitter campo if you cant stand by your own words !

• November 28th 2012 @ 6:38pm
      sittingbison said | November 28th 2012 @ 6:38pm | ! Report

There are many who think Growden is a farce. So no, having him comment on Wallabies or Deans is neither here nor there.

Campo, sometimes its better to apologise and leave it at that. And sometimes its better to not shoot from the lip, especially when criticising colleagues (ie journos). Ask Quade how that turned out.

• November 28th 2012 @ 6:39pm
      cantab said | November 28th 2012 @ 6:39pm | ! Report

you have done the crime and given the picture they published of you in the courier mail you have now done the time.

November 28th 2012 @ 6:40pm
      biltongbek said | November 28th 2012 @ 6:40pm | ! Report

We all say things that comes out the wrong way, and the electronic media isn’t helping, these days you can’t summarily retract what you say as it is out there immediately.

However I would still like to be a fly on the wall when Campo gets his cross ct from the young lady.