Warne banned for one match
Australian cricketer Shane Warne poses for photos at the MCG in Melbourne
Melbourne Stars Big Bash League captain Shane Warne has been suspended for one match and fined $4500 after being found guilty of three out of four charges stemming from Sunday night’s clash with Melbourne Renegades.
Warne is not expected to speak with reporters following Monday’s hearing which has just been completed.
The veteran is set to miss Tuesday’s game against Sydney Thunder at the MCG, although an appeal is under consideration.
Warne was found guilty of making “inappropriate and deliberate physical contact” during a heated exchange with Renegades allrounder Marlon Samuels and of using language that was “obscene, offensive or of a generally insulting nature”.
He was also found to have dissented an umpire’s decision.
But the veteran leg-spinner was cleared of another charge of throwing the ball at or near the West Indian in an “inappropriate and/or dangerous manner.”
Warne charged up to Samuels soon after the West Indian arrived at the crease, tugged at his shirt, swore at him and gestured angrily.
It was seemingly remonstration for an incident earlier in the match when Samuels grabbed Stars batsman David Hussey’s shirt to prevent him attempting a run.
Warne also struck batsman Samuels on the body with the ball with an underarm throw while fielding.
Samuels, who hurled his bat in response to Warne’s antics, is also facing several charges, although it is uncertain when they will be heard as he is nursing a suspected serious eye injury which could end his BBL campaign.
Samuels has been charged with “unbecoming behaviour” and with making “inappropriate and deliberate physical contact”.
Stars batsman Cameron White earlier received a suspended fine of $1000 after he pleaded guilty to showing dissent to an umpire’s decision.
Warne is now expected to speak with reporters shortly.
Warne claimed he’d been harshly treated.
“For me as the Melbourne Stars (captain) I’m very conscious of the image of the game,” Warne said.
“I’m disappointed in some of my actions last night. Also I’m pretty disappointed with the severity of the penalties too.
“I think that was pretty harsh. We’ll keep you updated through the day (on a possible appeal) and see what happens.”
Stars’ chief executive Clint Cooper said the BBL’s highest-profile club were considering their legal options.
“At some point throughout the day we’ll be issuing a formal statement of what that process will be,” he said.
Watch Glenn Mitchell's wrap of the second Test, where Australia were victorious early on the final day, winning by 218 runs and taking a 2-0 series lead into the third Test in Perth.
The Roar is giving you the chance to win 1 of 19 prize packs to Australian Open 2014! Each lucky winner will receive four evening tickets to Rod Laver Arena, plus access to 3 hours in the Heineken VIP Bar. Enter here.