The top 35 players have now been selected for the inaugural A-League All Stars match. Over 30,000 votes were cast by fans who were able to choose from all 10 A-League teams in picking a squad of 15.
The fans vote counts for 50 per cent of the final 18-man squad that will be involved in the match up against English Premier League champions, Manchester United.
The top players in each positional category selected are:
Goalkeeper – Mat Ryan (Central Coast Mariners)
Defender – Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Western Sydney Wanderers)
Midfielder – Shinji Ono (Western Sydney Wanderers)
Striker – Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC)
Fans were also able to select their preferred formation and the consensus was a 4-4-2.
The A-League All Stars Expert Panel, which includes Han Berger, Craig Moore, Tony Vidmar, Mark Bosnich, Stan Lazaridis (ex Socceroo, WA), Craig Foster, Andy Harper, Tom Smithies, and Michael Lynch, who account for 20 per cent of the overall vote and will now take charge of the squad’s evolution with key selections set to take place in the coming weeks.
A-League All Stars Coach Ange Postecoglou (Victory coach) will then use his 10 per cent before including his three coach selected players.
An announcement in regards to the A-League All Stars Coaching support team will be made on the 13 May. It will include an assistant coach, goalkeeper coach and medical and support team.
The top 35 players in order of fan voting
1. Mathew Ryan (Central Coast Mariners)
2. Ante Covic (Western Sydney Wanderers)
3. Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United)
4. Michael Theo (Brisbane Roar)
5. Nathan Coe (Melbourne Victory)
1. Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Western Sydney Wanderers)
2. Pedj Bojic (Central Coast Mariners)
3. Patrick Zwaanswijk (Central Coast Mariners)
4. Adama Traore (Melbourne Victory)
5. Michael Beauchamp (Western Sydney Wanderers)
6. Lucas Neill (Sydney FC)
7. Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar)
8. Trent Sainsbury (Central Coast Mariners)
9. Michael Thwaite (Perth Glory)
10. Joshua Rose (Central Coast Mariners)
1. Shinji Ono (Western Sydney Wanderers)
2. Thomas Broich (Brisbane Roar)
3. Youssouf Hersi (Western Sydney Wanderers)
4. Michael McGlinchey (Central Coast Mariners)
5. Aaron Mooy (Western Sydney Wanderers)
6. Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory)
7. Dario Vidosic (Adelaide United)
8. Marcos Flores (Melbourne Victory)
9. Richard Garcia (Melbourne Heart)
10. Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide United)
1. Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC)
2. Marco Rojas (Melbourne Victory)
3. Emile Heskey (Newcastle Jets)
4. Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory)
5. Daniel McBreen (Central Coast Mariners)
6. Besart Berisha (Brisbane Roar)
7. Jeremy Brockie (Wellington Phoenix)
8. Shane Smeltz (Perth Glory)
9. Mark Bridge (Western Sydney Wanderers)
10. Bernie Ibini (Central Coast Mariners)
With the top 35 now selected who would you choose as your final 18?