Fresh start for Sydney FC’s Simon

By AAP,

Experienced striker Matt Simon has signed a one year deal with A-League club Sydney FC.

The free agent completed the deal on Monday following a two week trial with the club, during which he scored and notched an assist in a pre-season victory against Macarthur Rams.

The 29 year old has more than 150 appearances in the A-League and is Central Coast Mariners’ record goal scorer with 45.

“I’m excited to have signed for Sydney FC and I’m hugely thankful to have been given the opportunity by the club,” Simon said.

“Last season was a tough year, I missed all of pre-season due to personal reasons and had a couple of injuries towards the end of the year, so was disappointed to be released.

“I see this as a fresh start and with a full pre-season under my belt, I’m confident I can produce my best form playing for one of Australia’s premier clubs.

“Competing for three trophies, including the Asian Champions League, was a huge lure in joining Sydney FC.”

Head Coach Graham Arnold praised the signing and said he was pleased to have Simon within the Sky Blues ranks.

“Matt is a quality player and has exceptional personal attributes as well,” Arnold said.

“He gives us something completely different to what we already have up front and he has done extremely well for us in the last two weeks.

“He is aggressive and strong, his attitude is first class and I’m sure he’ll be a success at Sydney FC this season.”

Simon will go straight into the Sky Blues squad to face Sorrento FC in the FFA Cup on Wednesday night.

© AAP 2018

• August 4th 2015 @ 8:40am
      The Minister said | August 4th 2015 @ 8:40am | ! Report

And in other news…Graham Arnold has advocated for SFC to change its jersey colours to yellow and navy blue and for two giant red, inflatable tomato sauce bottles to be positioned at either end of Allianz stadium.

• August 4th 2015 @ 8:47am
      Franko said | August 4th 2015 @ 8:47am | ! Report

“The free agent completed the deal on Monday following a two week trial with the club” – Bit harsh on a 29 year old that has played nearly 200 games.

β€œHe gives us something completely different to what we already have up front” – I always thought he played fairly similar to Shane Smeltz, is he about next season…………?

• August 4th 2015 @ 9:26am
        Barto said | August 4th 2015 @ 9:26am | ! Report

Smeltz isn’t quite as physical as Simon. Sydney don’t a lot of those kind of strong players in the front third at the moment since Janko left so he could be useful, especially in the Asian Champions league where he might be able to dominate.

• August 4th 2015 @ 3:38pm
      Batou said | August 4th 2015 @ 3:38pm | ! Report

Nooooo!

I liked the bit where we got the *good* players, coaching staff etc from the Mariners (even if I did feel a little bad about it), but there’s no need to start taking players who aren’t even any good from them.

As for Simon offering something different, well that is true. Most of our front line options were pretty handy last year whereas he is hopeless.

• August 5th 2015 @ 11:40am
        The artist formerly known as Punter said | August 5th 2015 @ 11:40am | ! Report

Very difficult to get excited about this signing. In Arnie we trust.

• August 5th 2015 @ 11:48am
          AZ_RBB said | August 5th 2015 @ 11:48am | ! Report

He’ll be your 3rd or 4th choice striker. Not sure what you can expect from that position in any squad. Simon seems capable of scoring 5 or 6 goals in a season maybe a couple in the ACL.

• August 5th 2015 @ 12:03pm
      The artist formerly known as Punter said | August 5th 2015 @ 12:03pm | ! Report

As I said (3th or 4th striker) very difficult to get excited.

• August 5th 2015 @ 12:13pm
      Midfielder said | August 5th 2015 @ 12:13pm | ! Report

• August 6th 2015 @ 4:12am
      MatthewSkellett said | August 6th 2015 @ 4:12am | ! Report

I think this is a “public-consumption ‘diversionary story to take the pressure off CCM for the ‘gawd-‘elp-us’ strip they’ve inflicted on the poor unsuspecting public this season πŸ˜‰

• August 6th 2015 @ 1:47pm
        Fadida said | August 6th 2015 @ 1:47pm | ! Report

One of the worst I have ever seen. Truly hideous. What were they thinking?

• August 6th 2015 @ 2:44pm
          Midfielder said | August 6th 2015 @ 2:44pm | ! Report

Come on as I said in my post … “””” This move will undoubtedly lift the quality of both squads .. ie. South Gosford FC and the Mariners …””””