All the key information about the upcoming Nitro Athletics.
WHEN: February 4, 9 and 11
WHERE: Lakeside Stadium, Melbourne
WHO: Six teams each including 12 men and 12 women – The Usain Bolt All Stars, Australia, England, China, Japan and New Zealand
WHAT: A teams-based competition, with competitors earning points for their squads
EVENTS AND ATHLETES TO WATCH:
* Anything that Usain Bolt is involved in. The sprint megastar has yet to confirm which events he will be targeting, although he is contracted to run at least once every night. It might be a relay, it could be in the 60m or the 200m and there’s a slim chance he could even tackle the long jump.
* Fellow Jamaican sprint superstars Asafa Powell and Michael Frater, England’s 400m gold medallist from the 2008 Olympics Christine Ohuruogu, Rio Olympics 400m hurdles champ Kerron Clement and American long jump and sprint sensation Jarrion Lawson are also show-stoppers.
* The biggest names in the green and gold are long jumper Fabrice Lapierre, 400m runner Morgan Mitchell and co-captains Ryan Gregson and Genevieve LaCaze.
* The elimination mile. At the end of the first, second and third laps, the last-placed runner in is pulled off the track. Tactics will be crucial – do the competitors jog for the first three-quarters of each lap and sprint the final 100 metres?
* Mixed medley relays. Different distances, alternating between men and women. Potential for all sorts of drama here.
* Nitro Power Play where double points are on offer for one event per team as nominated by the captain.
* Nitro Turbo Charge in the final round of the long jump where the athlete will attempt to better a declared distance.