Barnes copping criticism after farcical finish in France

By , Julien Pretot is a Roar Rookie

 , , , ,

25 Have your say

    Referee Wayne Barnes was the focus of criticism after France’s astonishing 20-18 Six Nations victory over Wales, which ended with 20 minutes of added time, a disputed substitution and fierce debate about the official’s failure to award a penalty try.

    The clock showed 99 minutes and 55 seconds when France’s replacement flanker Damien Chouly touched the ball down after nine penalty scrums and Camille Lopez slotted over the conversion to seal victory for the hosts.

    France felt the game should have been brought to a close sooner with a penalty try as Wales were repeatedly penalised at the scrum, while the visitors focused their ire on a substitution they said damaged the game’s integrity.

    In failing to award a penalty try, France coach Guy Noves claimed the English referee fell into a trap of his own making, while lock Yoann Maestri lashed out at the official.

    “We were refereed like a small team and it’s very painful. Barnes told me that we were not dominant enough in the scrum. But the Welsh were rigging every scrum,” Maestri said.

    “They were letting themselves get turned. It’s down to the referee to spot it.”

    Maestri added that Barnes’ failure to award a penalty try showed he had lost control.

    “It was verging on nuclear warfare on the sidelines and the referee didn’t react,” he said.

    France forwards coach Yannick Bru, however, was pleased his players did not let frustration get the better of them.

    “I knew that Barnes, whom I’ve gotten to know over time, would not award a penalty try. But my players did not make any mistake,” he said.

    “We were more stubborn than Mr Barnes.”

    Wales were equally upset in the aftermath, however, accusing the French of making an unlawful substitution, which coach Rob Howley said brought the game’s integrity into disrepute.

    Starter Rabah Slimani was allowed back on as replacement prop Uini Atonio was taken off for a head injury assessment. Howley said he believes the substitution was planned.

    “What happened in the last moments of that game shouldn’t ever happen again,” said Howley.

    “One of the coaches had a word with their doctor and within a minute of that their tighthead went off. The evidence suggests that it’s not in the integrity of our game.”

    © Reuters 2017

    This crunching tackle is the most viewed Club Roar video of all time! It's in the running to win a share of $10,000.
    Watch the full video here