Canelo versus GGG: Who wins?

Jamie Mills Roar Rookie

By Jamie Mills, Jamie Mills is a Roar Rookie

The highly anticipated middleweight showdown between Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) and Gennady ‘GGG (Triple G)’ Golovkin (37-0-0, 33 KOs) to decide who will reign supreme as the undisputed king of the division is now only days away from captivating the sporting world from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

But the question remains: who will come out on top?

In a match-up that fans have demanded for years, this looks set to be a true fight in every sense of the word as well as undoubtedly being the toughest and most career-defining assignment of each boxer’s journey to date.

With fans having now moved on from the overhyped, overmatched saga that was Floyd Mayweather versus Conor McGregor, they can expect a proper contest this time around, with two multiple-time world champion boxers at the peak of their powers set to go toe-to-toe in a bout so evenly matched that predictions among experts are widely varied and often against the bookmakers’ favoured outcome.

Possessing impeccable records and incredible knockout power, both fighters have also promised a ‘Mexican-style’ drama show, having indicated that their intentions are solely focused on stopping their opponent, going as far as guaranteeing that this fight will not go the distance.

The tale of the tape gives us little indication of how the night will unfold, with perhaps age being the only standout factor. Alvarez is the younger fighter by eight years, while 35-year-old Golovkin has a small height advantage over his Mexican counterpart which is negated by the fact that Canelo holds a slight advantage in reach.

Both fighters also seemingly possess a granite chin, with neither fighter having been so much as knocked down thus far in their careers, while the sole loss recorded between the pair’s combined 88 professional bouts was a gallant defeat for a young Alvarez at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr, who boxed his way to a majority decision victory over the Mexican back in 2013.

(Image: AP Photo/John Locher)

This clash is being touted by boxing experts as the biggest clash in the 160-pound division since the historic night 30 years ago when ‘Sugar’ Ray Leonard defeated ‘Marvelous’ Marvin Hagler via what was a controversial split decision.

In March of this year, in what was his most recent fight, Golovkin endured his toughest test to date against a spirited Daniel Jacobs, and although GGG was able to hurt his opponent, knocking him to the canvas in Round 4, he was forced to go the full 12 rounds for the first time in his career, settling for a unanimous decision victory on that occasion.

That bout was off the back of an incredible 23-fight knockout victory streak for Golovkin which spanned back to 2008, giving GGG an edge in the form department. However, Canelo is currently on a seven-fight win streak, which began following his loss against Mayweather Jr and has seen him mature and improve, with four of those victories coming inside the distance and the other three going the full 12 rounds, something Alvarez has a lot more experience in.

Canelo’s latest opponent was Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, who he faced off against in May of this year. In what was an underwhelming bout, Alvarez won via unanimous decision against what seemed like a ghost of Chavez Jr’s former self. The decision was never in question – a complete shutout, with all three judges agreeing on a 120-108 scorecard, although many believe Canelo should have stopped his compatriot inside the distance.

It was only moments after the judges’ decision was read out following that bout that the Canelo versus GGG fight was announced inside the ring in what was a WWE-style dramatic entrance for Golovkin, which was actually more exhilarating than the fight preceding it.

In the months since that long-awaited announcement was made, both fighters have undoubtedly left no stone unturned and have given their all in their respective training camps for this fight, with motivation surely at an all-time high now that the glory fight, which has been mooted for years, is finally coming to fruition.

Statistics, records and form go out of the window here. The fighter who wants it the most will take this victory as well as all of the belts and spoils that go along with it.

So, who wins? The answer is: we do – the fans who have been longing for two champions at the top of their game to risk everything and fight each other for the glory of being the best, without the need for trash talk, without intervention from promoters. In short, boxing wins.

• September 14th 2017 @ 7:42am
      The Grafter said | September 14th 2017 @ 7:42am | ! Report

The Real fight of the Year Jamie. A nice write up thanks mate.

On a personal level, I have followed both boys careers. Canelo, the pro at 15, father at 17 has his critics whilst GGG, the KO King, who lost only 5 fights from 350 as an amateur was made to look human in his last fight against the seemingly bigger Daniel Jacobs.

With Alverez being comprehensively outboxed by Floyd Mayweather (I don’t know what fight the now retired Judge CJ Ross was watching that night) as a 22 year old the only blot on his record, and Triple G’s superior no loses to better opponents I can see this only going in the Eastern Europeans way.

Triple G for me on points at the $1.70 mark head to head represents an extremely good ‘investment’ in my opinion. Cant wait!

September 14th 2017 @ 9:18am
        Jamie Mills said | September 14th 2017 @ 9:18am | ! Report

Thanks Grafter, I appreciate the support.

Both guys sure do have amazing stories and it’s great to see them get their big night in the spotlight which I think is well deserved. I have huge respect for both of them and the way they’ve gone about their careers. They’ve gotten to this point from nothing but hard work, and not from their mouths which I admire.

As far as a prediction, I too can’t go against Golovkin, although I think it’s far from a foregone conclusion. I wish you the best of luck if you are ‘investing’ in it. I’m not sure whether I’m confident enough to stake anything on this one.

Enjoy the event, I too can’t wait!

• September 14th 2017 @ 1:10pm
          The Grafter said | September 14th 2017 @ 1:10pm | ! Report

Thanks Jamie.

The undercard looks good with the two unbeaten featherweights Joseph Diaz and Rafeal Rivera after Jorge Lara withdrew on Tuesday from the WBC eliminator fight. The second min undercard fight is Oscar De La Hoyas cousin Diego fighting an also unbeaten Randy Callero for the super bantamweight North American Boxing Federation Belt.

Its a shame the media weren’t all over these fights like they were a certain event three weeks ago, where one bloke spent more time at his newly opened strip bar meeting and greeting, than working done the road in Chinatown at Mayweathers Gym in preparation for it.

September 14th 2017 @ 1:46pm
            Drew Lawrence said | September 14th 2017 @ 1:46pm | ! Report

Still Mayweather v McGregor was alot better than expected, but you are correct the media would rather ny into a circus event rather than a real fight

• September 14th 2017 @ 3:34pm
              The Grafter said | September 14th 2017 @ 3:34pm | ! Report

I thought Mayweather looked like a 40 year old Drew. He was very front on, turned away several times (always defend yourself), and was throwing punches without his body behind it. Could he of stopped McGregor earlier? Probably. Was he at 50% like Sr said? Who knows but good sources have suggested he didn’t spar was 6 weeks prior. Should McGregor return to boxing and fight a 154 pound top 5? Whist theres no denying his courage, in my opinion he would get really hurt fighting a light middleweight banger.

I guess when the media has two of the great modern self promotors (a little like Anthony Mundine), its easy work for them. Just flick on the microphone, turn on the cameras and let them go for it.

September 14th 2017 @ 2:21pm
            Jamie Mills said | September 14th 2017 @ 2:21pm | ! Report

You’re spot on mate, the undercard does look good too, I’m excited for those two fights and the fact that the whole event promises to be fantastic, not just the main event which is another plus for fans.

September 14th 2017 @ 8:07am
      BigJ said | September 14th 2017 @ 8:07am | ! Report

Excellent write up mate, I agree that this fight is going to be so hard to call it is not funny, but due to GGG expereience at middleweight and his record of 33 Ko i think that he wont be taking any chances nor put the breaks on at any stage. they ll wil both come out to ko each other from the start, so get ready for the battle of the year.

September 14th 2017 @ 9:27am
        Jamie Mills said | September 14th 2017 @ 9:27am | ! Report

Thanks BigJ, I appreciate the kind words.

I’m with you, this is such a hard fight to call. Golovkin’s stability in campaigning at middleweight for such a long period as you mentioned could well be a key factor.

Very much looking forward to this one!

September 14th 2017 @ 9:34am
      BigJ said | September 14th 2017 @ 9:34am | ! Report

Im predicting a tit for tat battle with GGG getting the upperhand late in the fight, so round ten or eleven. Should be the biggest fight since as you said, Leonard V Hagler or Hopkins v Taylor in 2005

September 14th 2017 @ 2:38pm
        Jamie Mills said | September 14th 2017 @ 2:38pm | ! Report

Yeah, I can see that happening BigJ. I’ve been reluctant thus far to state my prediction, but I will do so.

My thoughts are that Canelo will start the strongest and look the better boxer early on, before GGG wears him down with his constant forward pressure, takes control and overwhelms him later on, with the referee stepping in to call a halt to the contest in the ninth round. I love the fact that there’s a million different possible scenarios though, and can’t wait to see how it plays out!

September 14th 2017 @ 9:52am
      Drew Lawrence said | September 14th 2017 @ 9:52am | ! Report

I am waiting with baited breath for this one. I agree with BigJ with a late stoppage of Canelo by ggg late in the fight. Also did anyone hear that Mundine wants horn???

September 14th 2017 @ 2:56pm
        Jamie Mills said | September 14th 2017 @ 2:56pm | ! Report

You’re not alone there Drew, it feels a bit like Christmas I reckon! Haha.

Yeah, I can’t disagree with that prediction at all. Although I do think it is very 50-50, I can’t help but lean toward Golovkin and a stoppage around the ninth as I just wrote to BigJ above.

Unfortunately I did read about Mundine calling out Horn, let’s hope that’s the last we hear of it.

September 14th 2017 @ 3:27pm
          Drew Lawrence said | September 14th 2017 @ 3:27pm | ! Report

I reckon horn v Mundine would be a huge passing of the torch fight and at promoters dream similar to Holmes v Ali just with everyone happy that old champ getting beat up by the new blood. It would be a huge money fight and Mundine would go out on his sword to make for the new golden boy in aussie boxing. I think aussie boxing needs it.

• September 14th 2017 @ 3:39pm
            The Grafter said | September 14th 2017 @ 3:39pm | ! Report

Nooooo. Horn has everything to lose. What a waste of time that would be. Hes fighting the Brit Corcoran Nov 25, right in the middle of the first Ashes test. It should be a straight forward defence for Horn, but is keeping him active for bigger things ahead, and I sure hope that doesn’t include the 43 year old from Sydney.Smart promoting I think.

September 14th 2017 @ 3:57pm
              Drew Lawrence said | September 14th 2017 @ 3:57pm | ! Report

Has that been confirmed yet? I have heard that it has only possibility of it happening

• September 14th 2017 @ 4:13pm
                The Grafter said | September 14th 2017 @ 4:13pm | ! Report

I had it confirmed yesterday. The source is reliable.

September 14th 2017 @ 4:52pm
                Drew Lawrence said | September 14th 2017 @ 4:52pm | ! Report

When is the press conference

September 14th 2017 @ 10:26am
      Machooka said | September 14th 2017 @ 10:26am | ! Report

Thanks for the read Jamie… and this is gonna be a cracking contest!

I think your last para nails it as to the outcome. I respect both fighters and I’m really struggling to choose between the two. Suffice to say, it will the fighter who wants it most. And while I know that’s a cliche’… it’s most apt for this contest. Quality fighters. Champion fighters.

So, not to be a fence sitter, and if it goes the distance… Triple G on points.

September 14th 2017 @ 3:00pm
        Jamie Mills said | September 14th 2017 @ 3:00pm | ! Report

Thanks Machooka, I appreciate your response.

That’s the only way I could really sum it up too haha, and I’m not usually a fence sitter either, but it’s just that hard to pick a side. I am slightly leaning toward a Golovkin victory too as I just replied to BigJ above, but no outcome would really surprise me in this fight.

Enjoy watching the event, I’m expecting fireworks!

• September 15th 2017 @ 12:51pm
        David P said | September 15th 2017 @ 12:51pm | ! Report

I hour it doesn’t go to points, don’t think GGG can win it that way due to the home town (even though he’s Mexican) favourite.

Boxing scoring being as it is, if it goes to points there’ll be only one winner, and it won’t be GGG.

September 18th 2017 @ 2:01pm
          Jamie Mills said | September 18th 2017 @ 2:01pm | ! Report

Sorry David, I’ve only just seen your comment now. I hope you enjoyed the fight. Unfortunately for GGG it did go to the scorecards, and he seemingly didn’t get a fair shake as you mentioned. The 118-110 scorecard for Canelo was ludicrous and was obviously penciled in before the fight, but at least we’ll all be treated to a rematch.

• September 14th 2017 @ 3:22pm
      Mike Julz said | September 14th 2017 @ 3:22pm | ! Report

I’m going for Triple G. Great matchup. Hopefully its better than Mayweather vs Pacman. Both fighters likes to go forward, interesting to see who will go backwards here. I’m thinking it won’t be Golovkin.
      My prediction, Triple G win by round 9 TKO. His punches are too powerful for Canelo to handle.

September 14th 2017 @ 4:09pm
        Jamie Mills said | September 14th 2017 @ 4:09pm | ! Report

Thanks for your comment Mike, great to hear your thoughts. I agree, I don’t see Golovkin taking a backward step. Your prediction in a ninth round TKO victory for GGG is exactly what I’ve predicted as well! Great minds think alike, haha.

Enjoy the spectacle!