Returning Hunt eyes Bledisloe selection

By AAP,

Karmichael Hunt is confident a much-improved Wallabies outfit can beat New Zealand next weekend, and that he can even return to play a part.

The utility will play the second game in his comeback from ankle surgery for National Rugby Championship outfit Brisbane City on Sunday, before switching focus to next Saturday’s Bledisloe Cup dead rubber.

Hunt insists he is ready to be thrown into battle if called on by Wallabies coach Michael Cheika despite only having 40 minutes of club rugby under his belt since surgery.

© AAP 2018

• October 13th 2017 @ 3:10pm
      Fionn said | October 13th 2017 @ 3:10pm | ! Report

If he performs well on the weekend I’d be threatened to rush him into the 12 spot. As well as Beale is playing on attack we need to tighten our midfield defence.

9. Genia, 10. Foley, 11. Koroibete, 12. Hunt, 13. Kuridrani, 14. Beale, 15. Beale; 21. Phipps (ugh, why not Powell?), 22. Kerevi, 23. Hodge is so much more defensively solid than what we’ve been playing. It seems cruel to Hodge, but Cheika clearly doesn’t see him capable of playing 12.

• October 13th 2017 @ 3:25pm
        Dave_S said | October 13th 2017 @ 3:25pm | ! Report

I’m assuming “threatened” was an unintended auto-correct, mate 🙂

I’m similarly “threatened”.

We first need a wall to stop the Black Walkers advancing. Beale is still too much a toll gate. Even if Hunt only lasts 60 min he would be worth it. Beale attacks as effectively, and probably better, playing deeper.

• October 13th 2017 @ 3:35pm
          Fionn said | October 13th 2017 @ 3:35pm | ! Report

Freudian slip, perhaps…

Yeah, I’d like to get Beale in the back three and Hunt into the centres.

• October 13th 2017 @ 3:31pm
        Marto said | October 13th 2017 @ 3:31pm | ! Report

is Beale playing two positions Fionn? I think you meant Folau.

• October 13th 2017 @ 3:34pm
          Fionn said | October 13th 2017 @ 3:34pm | ! Report

Yeah, whoops, Folau at 15 (even though he will be playing on the wing).

It isn’t my first choice backline, but I think it is the best that we can hope for given Cheik and his favourites.

• October 13th 2017 @ 5:02pm
            Cynical Play said | October 13th 2017 @ 5:02pm | ! Report

As opposed to your favourites?

• October 13th 2017 @ 5:33pm
              Fionn said | October 13th 2017 @ 5:33pm | ! Report

Did that comment have a point?

Clearly I’d prefer the players I think are better to be in the team.

• October 13th 2017 @ 5:46pm
                Cynical Play said | October 13th 2017 @ 5:46pm | ! Report

You said “we can hope for” suggesting you feel you represent “us”. Wrong sunshine. 500 posts a day does not vote you in.

And no, you said “Cheika and his favourites”.

• October 13th 2017 @ 5:51pm
                Fionn said | October 13th 2017 @ 5:51pm | ! Report

Clearly I was referring to Marto and I, CP, and I think you’re well aware that he and I would share an opinion on that.

I suppose the difference is that were I Wallabies coach I would at least try my non-favourites to see how they go. If they didn’t perform they’d stopped being my favoured players – whereas I don’t think you could argue that Phipps has earned his place on the bench through demonstrated form or ability at present. Cheika selects guys like Phipps, Speight and Hanigan and Moore far longer than their form warrants, indicating it’s more about Cheika being biased towards them.

• October 13th 2017 @ 6:37pm
                Fionn said | October 13th 2017 @ 6:37pm | ! Report

For what it’s worth I don’t particularly enjoy arguing with you, so if you just follow me around making snide comments or non sequiturs I won’t reply in the future.

That being said while I disagree with you on many things I respect you as a man based on the positions you’ve taken on various issues—such as standing out against some of the morally reprehensible comments made by certain people—as well as the fact that you’ve shown the maturity to admit when you think you’ve been wrong in the—which is a skill not many of us have. And so if you actually post serious comments designed for discussion or debate I will reply.

• October 14th 2017 @ 12:10am
                Cynical Play said | October 14th 2017 @ 12:10am | ! Report

…and why do you assume I am a man…strange

• October 14th 2017 @ 7:36am
                Fionn said | October 14th 2017 @ 7:36am | ! Report

Sure, man or woman.

• October 14th 2017 @ 3:13am
                Rebellion said | October 14th 2017 @ 3:13am | ! Report

Wow, you are ‘soooo deep’ Cynical Play
                If you’re not a Tah fan boy or a kiwi, are you an android ?

October 13th 2017 @ 4:08pm
        Train Without A Station said | October 13th 2017 @ 4:08pm | ! Report

I’m sure he’ll perform well.

Stay injury free? Less sure.

And poor old Beale will be busy in that backline!

• October 14th 2017 @ 9:20am
        Rob Malcolm said | October 14th 2017 @ 9:20am | ! Report

In attack Beale plays 12 – it gives us the 2 playmakers which has consistently troubled every defence. Hodge has played his attacking wing role very well, coming in on the angles etc.
        In defence Beale goes to the wing and Hodge defends the inside channel, which he does really well. KB in the back 3 as “2nd fullback”.
        Plus Hodge has the kicking game to complement Foley.
        It has taken us a long time to find this combination, and I wouldn’t change it for Hunt – as good as he is. Hunt on the bench optimises his versatility, perhaps giving us an extra piggy on the bench for those last 20 minutes when the ABs crank up?
        You may not like Phipps, but Powell isn’t really a game-changer yet is he? Personally I like the energy and versatility Phipps brings to the bench. Combined with Hunt it definitely opens up a the opportunity for a 6-2 split.

• October 14th 2017 @ 12:15pm
          Fionn said | October 14th 2017 @ 12:15pm | ! Report

Beale can play the same role in attack popping in from the back three. The difference is, we won’t concede as many tries ourselves. Beale cannot defend at 12 (Dunedin excepted) and is a total liability off of turnover ball.

Phipps has energy, sure, but he can’t hit anyone with his passes. There’s a reason he often didn’t even start for his Super Rugby team, and those reasons apply to internationals also. Why would we want a 6-2 split?

• October 15th 2017 @ 8:28am
          Crash Ball2 said | October 15th 2017 @ 8:28am | ! Report

My 5 year old has huge energy and couldn’t hit the side of a barn with an elephant either – perhaps he should be the back up scrumhalf for the Wallabies?

• October 13th 2017 @ 3:30pm
      Marto said | October 13th 2017 @ 3:30pm | ! Report

Well if Hunt is in, Kerevi will be out..Hodge will stay..Cheika can`t have too many blokes in his 23 from north of the border..He has a Tah Quota to fulfil..

• October 14th 2017 @ 9:30am
        Rob Malcolm said | October 14th 2017 @ 9:30am | ! Report

Only Tahs are Foley, Beale and Folau in this backline. Which would you be dropping so a Qlder can be in?

• October 15th 2017 @ 8:33am
          Crash Ball2 said | October 15th 2017 @ 8:33am | ! Report

Foley.

October 15th 2017 @ 8:55am
            PeterK said | October 15th 2017 @ 8:55am | ! Report

that would be unfair on current form, he is now playing well enough to retain his spot, of course he should have been dropped after the june series

• October 15th 2017 @ 9:12am
              Illya Kuryakin said | October 15th 2017 @ 9:12am | ! Report

There’s still better options even on current form.

• October 13th 2017 @ 4:05pm
      Mike Julz said | October 13th 2017 @ 4:05pm | ! Report

He’s most likely to come off the bench. Cheiks will pick the same lineup again.

• October 14th 2017 @ 3:29pm
      Jumbo said | October 14th 2017 @ 3:29pm | ! Report

I wouldn’t be worrying about the wallabie backline, it’s the forwards they need to be sorting out. Because unless they front up like the boks did you can forget about the backs.

• October 16th 2017 @ 11:30am
      BOGGLES THE MIND said | October 16th 2017 @ 11:30am | ! Report

Rob Malcolm ,
      Who`s the second playmaker Beale and ?

• October 16th 2017 @ 12:05pm