Gerard Whateley’s move to SEN makes for an intriguing 2018 on radio

Liam Clarkson Roar Rookie

By Liam Clarkson, Liam Clarkson is a Roar Rookie

The first day of 2018 produced the year’s first big sports media story: Gerard Whateley is departing ABC Grandstand for its commercial radio rival SEN.

The potential ramifications of this move are significant, but first we need to examine what has changed.

At the ABC, Whateley did plenty to go with his Monday to Thursday role as AFL 360 co-host on Fox Footy.

In the football season, he called and hosted Friday night and Saturday afternoon football, and presented the TV panel discussion show Offsiders on Sunday mornings.

Over the last three summers, he has also called live Test cricket and presented many more hours of discussion through rain delays and at stumps.

As well as these regular roles, Whateley also called the marquee races of the Spring Racing Carnival, travelled to Olympic Games to call the swimming and report on the ground, and provided analysis as a panellist for the ABC’s 2015 Asian Cup coverage.

Such is his versatility, the ABC will likely need to hire several people to fill his substantial shoes. This ability to cover so many sports at a consistently high standard and without an irritating ego makes him an outstanding gain for SEN.

At his new home, Whateley will become the chief AFL and horse racing caller and host the morning slot, Whateley, from 9 to midday. The format of this show is most curious and is somewhat unknown.

Whateley said in a statement that he couldn’t resist “the opportunity to create a program truly reflective of the way I believe Melbourne engages with sport from its fans to its participants.”

“My work and style is well revealed and that is what I’ll bring to SEN.”

This makes it seem too obvious that Whateley would follow the standard SEN format: a mixture of light discussion and analysis, mostly around AFL, mixed with listener talkback to engage more directly with the host and guests.

AFL Sherrin Football Generic 2017

(AAP Image/Tracey Nearmy)

Quite what Whateley may do differently I can only guess, but I will have to pay close attention online as I live in Queensland, well outside the AM and DAB range of SEN in Melbourne.

All I hope, as I stream SEN on my phone without soaking up too much data, is that Whateley provides the same level of intellect and in-depth analysis he brings to his other work, whether on ABC or Fox Footy.

SEN would not have hired him had they not expected more of the same, so I expect he will be given a good deal of creative freedom, which can only be a good thing for SEN and its listeners.

As for the ABC, this really is a crucial time for their future as a sports broadcaster. From my limited perspective, this has to be good news for Kelli Underwood.

Long serving as Whateley’s deputy on Offsiders, she is his logical replacement and would do a fine job starting from its early return this Sunday.

As for radio, you will hear no complaints from me if Underwood also replaces Whateley in his roles for Friday night and Saturday afternoon football coverage. She already hosts coverage on Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons and this would be a simple jump.

As for racing and cricket, the ABC will have their work cut out finding replacements who perform to the same irrepressible standard as Whateley.

SEN have landed a seriously big fish and they should do everything possible to make full use of him. 2018 could well shape up as a pivotal year in Australian sports broadcasting, for better or for worse.

As for Gerard Whateley himself, he has earned the right to dictate the form of content he produces. Here’s hoping it proves to be something new and refreshing, as it would force all competitors to up their game, and we would all benefit from that.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 9:13am
      Gyfox said | January 2nd 2018 @ 9:13am | ! Report

I have always enjoyed Gerard’s comments/insights on the AFL. Guess I will have to start listening to SEN.

He is typical of AFL callers in Melbourne – they are also good callers of other sports all year round. I can only think of 1 NRL commentator in Sydney who is similar.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 9:29am
      The Sheriff said | January 2nd 2018 @ 9:29am | ! Report

In fact, hardly anyone outside of the Melbourne area will hear Gerard again. It could be highly paid oblivion.
      ABC Grandstand has an enormous audience in regional areas of Australia and they will have to find someone to take his place.
      It NSW he is rarely heard in the winter time. The ABC has always come up with a worthy replacement for tits retiring cricket commentators ( Gerard filled in for someone initially, I recall) and there is likely to be along list after the job.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 11:17am
        Last Straw said | January 2nd 2018 @ 11:17am | ! Report

My thoughts also. Gerard is risking a move from being a national sport broadcasting identity with valued knowledge and opinion across many sports, and an even approach to all sports, to now becoming just another AFL hack in Melbourne at a radio station that is clearly biased to AFL. SEN does little to promote or encourage growth of other sports in Melbourne and seems at times to be the media wing of the AFL. Many of its callers are former AFL players who have little knowledge of the rugby codes or football, and no real interest in seeing those sports progress in Melbourne, always protecting AFL against intrusion of the other codes.

If Melbourne is truly Australia’s sporting capital, it’s sport media needs to to grow beyond AFL, and deal more equally and less derisively with other sports. Hopefully the appointment of Gerard at SEN will be a step in that direction.

January 2nd 2018 @ 12:02pm
          Redb said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:02pm | ! Report

Classic dummy spit that ignores the reality of sport in Melbourne in winter.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 1:20pm
          RandyM said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:20pm | ! Report

Based on what I’ve see on offsiders all he wants to discuss is AFL or horse racing anyway so the move will probably suit him.

His knowledge of Rugby League is limited to scandals which he is happy to give attention to.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 1:57pm
            Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:57pm | ! Report

On your last sentence, that applies to most Australians knowledge of RL, , who can we blame here – Sydney Tabloid press ?, in fact if anyone bothers researching RL history, we will see it was born out of controversy and some would argue that is exactly how it remains in the public consciousness..

• January 3rd 2018 @ 8:15am
            Kanga said | January 3rd 2018 @ 8:15am | ! Report

I like Gerard , but he is too pro afl bias to be on a national broadcaster .
            No loss for the northern states

• January 2nd 2018 @ 4:49pm
          Thatsashame said | January 2nd 2018 @ 4:49pm | ! Report

Absolutely stupid ignorant comment. You have clearly never listened to the station. First, obviously afl would have the most content given that it’s the number 1 sport in the state. 2nd they have dedicated hours to cricket, a league, epl, nfl, nba etc. Its a spirts station and thats what we get. Gerard will add a touch of class on top of Huddo, the best broadcaster.

January 3rd 2018 @ 8:36am
            Redb said | January 3rd 2018 @ 8:36am | ! Report

yep. Just whinging expats from rugby states,

Do the math.

AFL club members for Melb based clubs – 400,000+

Storm – what about 20,000?

2 x A League clubs at best – 40,000.

Who are you going to cater for?

• January 3rd 2018 @ 8:18pm
              Tricky said | January 3rd 2018 @ 8:18pm | ! Report

I think 400k membership is on the lean side, last year North was the lowest membered at approx 40k. So if you have 10 clubs at that amount you’d get that figure however teams like Collingwood and Richmond in the 70’s Ess, Dogs, Hawks in the 50’s or 60’s you could argue the figure is likely to be more than half a mill maybe even 600k

January 4th 2018 @ 7:43am
                Redb said | January 4th 2018 @ 7:43am | ! Report

Yeah I was based on the 9 Melb teams only, but even then its conservative.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 9:57am
      Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 9:57am | ! Report

He has great knowledge on all sports and can be interesting, but sort of strikes me as a gender neutral non binary sort of typical ABC employee and i cant stand that, he needs to man up a bit IMHO.

January 2nd 2018 @ 10:35am
        Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 10:35am | ! Report

Yes, I’ve always thought his cricket commentary would be improved if he grabbed his crotch, grunted & slammed a tin of VB every time Australia hit a boundary.

January 2nd 2018 @ 11:15am
          TomC said | January 2nd 2018 @ 11:15am | ! Report

A troll looking for a reaction, I think. There’s a few of them around.

Or possibly just one with a series of aliases. ‘Aligee’ is probably a Sacha Baron Cohen reference.

January 2nd 2018 @ 11:44am
            AdelaideDocker said | January 2nd 2018 @ 11:44am | ! Report

I don’t think he’s a troll. I mean, he’s done more than most usual trolls on here: he’s written three articles since Christmas.

January 2nd 2018 @ 11:46am
            AdelaideDocker said | January 2nd 2018 @ 11:46am | ! Report

I don’t think they’re a tr%ll. I mean, they’ve done more than most usual disruptors on here: they’ve written three articles since Christmas.

January 2nd 2018 @ 1:17pm
              TomC said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:17pm | ! Report

I haven’t read the articles, but I’m pretty sure that comment was designed to get a particular reaction.

I guess it’s irrelevant. If it’s a hundred people being unpleasant and inflammatory or only one they should be ignored just the same.

January 2nd 2018 @ 1:29pm
                AdelaideDocker said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:29pm | ! Report

Oh, for sure.

I was just trying to point out the difference between anonymous, disruptive posters who try to provoke and attack in the comments, and those who are somewhat provocative but can back up their comments with articles. From my perspective, Aligee is the latter.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 1:50pm
                Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:50pm | ! Report

@ AD, well you might want to retract that,:) i have an article in the wings sort of about negative football as opposed to top end football which i find much better to watch.

Sorry but Ross Lyon gets a mention.

January 2nd 2018 @ 2:57pm
                TomC said | January 2nd 2018 @ 2:57pm | ! Report

No, I don’t think that’s a meaningful difference, AD.

January 2nd 2018 @ 3:05pm
                Dalgety Carrington said | January 2nd 2018 @ 3:05pm | ! Report

Given you seem to preference irrelevant retro-categorisations over things like capacity for insight, intellect and clarity of communication, it bodes well for your analysis in the article being absolutely top-notch.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:44pm
            Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:44pm | ! Report

Maybe and maybe not, someone in between robbo and whately thanks, I find him a bit to effeminate if that is ok by you

January 2nd 2018 @ 12:50pm
              Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:50pm | ! Report

You can have whatever opinion you like

As can I

My opinion is that holding an irrational grudge against someone because they can’t help being 5 ft 4 and with an accompanying high pitched voice is more than childish

particularly when you venture your criticism using lines like “gender neutral non binary sort of typical ABC employee and i cant stand that, he needs to man up a bit IMHO” – I mean honestly, if that’s the sort of language and attitude you want to broadcast, maybe you should leave the broadcasting to the pros like Whateley. I think he’s great.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:58pm
                Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:58pm | ! Report

I am even more outraged by his lack of height now, wish you hadn’t told me that!.

Geez, I find the bloke effeminate, no broken law AFAIK

January 2nd 2018 @ 1:03pm
                Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:03pm | ! Report

Again. You can have whatever view you like.

As can I. If you don’t want your opinion disputed don’t say it publicly. Simple

The insecurity of some people on this place is hilarious

• January 2nd 2018 @ 1:46pm
                Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:46pm | ! Report

Thanks, although it must be pointed out, you are as quick as a rat up a drainpipe to respond, so its interesting you bought up insecurity.

January 2nd 2018 @ 1:58pm
              Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:58pm | ! Report

Insecurity is feeling you need to justify what you write to some random dude chipping you about it.

If you’re down to chipping me as to how quickly I can read and punch out a reply to an email notification about what you’ve said I’ll take that as an admission you’re out of ideas.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 2:03pm
              Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 2:03pm | ! Report

I take it you are the sort of poster who needs to have the last word – good for you and happy new year 🙂

January 2nd 2018 @ 2:07pm
                Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 2:07pm | ! Report

Not always, usually I’m the one walking away. Particularly when Macca is involved.

But yes it doesn’t take much for me to rise to the challenge of going into bat for Gerard, I think he’s great for sport punditry because he’s such a refreshing change from the usual ex-players clasping mikes

January 2nd 2018 @ 10:38am
      Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 10:38am | ! Report

Good luck to Gerard. I think if you look closer SEN might have offered his wife a job at the station as well as a sweetener.

Damn shame I won’t get to hear him anymore in QLD. Is he still going to do AFL 360?

January 2nd 2018 @ 11:23am
        Cat said | January 2nd 2018 @ 11:23am | ! Report

Yes, he will still be doing 360.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:19pm
          Birdman said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:19pm | ! Report

I assume Slobbo will continue to play the buffoon to Whately’s straight guy?

January 2nd 2018 @ 12:25pm
            Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:25pm | ! Report

You will notice I didn’t ask if Slobbo was still doing 360. The care factor is somewhat less as to whether or not his feelpinions continue to be sloshed out all over the desk each night

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:34pm
              Birdman said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:34pm | ! Report

the tortured sighing and groaning is the worst.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:41pm
            valhalla said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:41pm | ! Report

when considering slobbos verbal offerings on tv and radio, one would reasonably suspect the hun employs mutiple layers of editorial handling before any of his written musings see the light of day ….

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:47pm
              Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:47pm | ! Report

Rita panahi for all her failings has recently been on twitter offering photos of her mother pre Iran revolution and hijab, where women were free, if you understand her and her families history with Islam you may well discover why she has right wing leanings.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 1:52pm
                I ate pies said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:52pm | ! Report

Right wing views aren’t allowed here.

January 2nd 2018 @ 4:22pm
                Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 4:22pm | ! Report

Right wing views aren’t allowed to go uncontested here

• January 2nd 2018 @ 5:11pm
                DB said | January 2nd 2018 @ 5:11pm | ! Report

Right Wing leanings v wearing hijab and women being free. Cant see the connection.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 5:24pm
                Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 5:24pm | ! Report

Right wing views and policies ATM have the lowest Black jobless rate in America for 20 years, the strongest economy in decades in America and pay rises and bonuses unseen in America for many a year, the latest sees a Trump policy hopefully strripping billions of american $ off Pakistan given by Obama which was used for god know what – most likely terrorism.

Lets hope the wall is built, i know i like to know who comes in my front door.

i might also add things are looking up in Europe through what is perceived as right wing policies, that being that countries like Hungary and Poland refuse to take Muslim ‘refugees’ although constantly threatened with economic sanctions by the leftist EU, yes the leftist EU the undemocratically elected self proclaimed leaders of Europe.

I guess all these so called right wing governments in Poland, Hungary, Czech, and now Austria should not do what is best for their citizens but bow down to Soros and the EU

January 2nd 2018 @ 5:48pm
                AdelaideDocker said | January 2nd 2018 @ 5:48pm | ! Report

Oh man, I know I shouldn’t take the bait but I will.

Sure, America has a strong economy. That’s fantastic.

They also have a tweeter – sorry, a leader – who has negligible respect for (or knowledge of) the environment, minorities, people who don’t wear Ralph Lauren and gold Rolex’s (aka those who aren’t the wealthy), healthcare, education or the media (especially the media).

Hell, look at half the wider government. Unqualified seems to be the best word to describe some of his appointments, and who knows who those who are working most of the government agencies are.

He’s a dude who constantly throws around bombastic statements, early-morning tweets and propagates racist conspiracy theories.

But sure, he’s a good president because he’ll ‘build a wall’ (he won’t) and he’ll yell ‘fake news’ at some reporters (who are some of the best Americans around at the moment, and make me feel good doing a media degree). Hillary was/is rubbish, but it’s scary how gullible a bloc of conservative, religious voters are.

Sorry for anyone who wanted footy talk – I took the bait. My bad.

January 2nd 2018 @ 5:59pm
                Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 5:59pm | ! Report

“trump policy”

Righto, so a tweet saying “The United States has foolishly given Pakistan more than 33 billion dollars in aid over the last 15 years, and they have given us nothing but lies & deceit, thinking of our leaders as fools. They give safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help. No more!”

is now classified as policy. Well, that will do me.

trump was just the american people taking a punt on something different for 4 years. They’ll remind him who’s boss if he doesn’t measure up in 2020, and the democrats actually field a candidate who doesn’t turn off half the electorate with decades of political dirt clinging to her.

Viewing Trump’s election as a turning point is the same mistake Abbott made when he got elected in 2013. He wasn’t elected because of who he was, he was elected because he wasn’t the alternative.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 6:22pm
                valhalla said | January 2nd 2018 @ 6:22pm | ! Report

soros lol ….. good lawd

• January 2nd 2018 @ 7:00pm
                valhalla said | January 2nd 2018 @ 7:00pm | ! Report

gawd help us ….. next youll be schooling us on the rothschilds and their covert ownership of the reserve banks of some nation states lol

if you genuinely want to worry at whats going on in the world, worry at the power and reach of organised crime on the body politic (and you need not look any further than the monstrosity currently inhabiting 1600 pensylvania ave as a fungating example of its influence in the west)

January 2nd 2018 @ 7:12pm
                TomC said | January 2nd 2018 @ 7:12pm | ! Report

Well, it didn’t take much to push Aligee into a rant about his own brand of fringe right wing politics.

It seems very likely that this was his intention all along.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 7:17pm
                valhalla said | January 2nd 2018 @ 7:17pm | ! Report

to be fair – i did (foolishly) introduce andrew bolt and rita panahi into this particular part of the thread …. lesson learnt

January 2nd 2018 @ 7:23pm
                AdelaideDocker said | January 2nd 2018 @ 7:23pm | ! Report

I tried to give him an ounce of legitimacy earlier today, Tom.

Lol.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 7:33pm
                Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 7:33pm | ! Report

I am not attempting to school anyone, my views are my views.

Attempt to verify for yourself what is happening in Europe ATM, i can actually see a civil war starting in the UK in years to come due to what is happening there ATM.

January 3rd 2018 @ 7:51am
                Cat said | January 3rd 2018 @ 7:51am | ! Report

How about y’all p1ss off with the political BS to a politics forum.

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:22pm
                Paul D said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:22pm | ! Report

edit: wrong spot

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:30pm
                Cat said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:30pm | ! Report

• January 2nd 2018 @ 2:02pm
              Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 2:02pm | ! Report

Look up her twitter on 31 December, where you will find here mother looking like any Western teenager from the 1970’s, this is what Iran looked like, then a picture of her in a near Burqa after the ‘revolution’, if only the fake MSM which has been stolen by the left would pick up on these type of things it would be great.

January 2nd 2018 @ 2:11pm
                Paul D said | January 2nd 2018 @ 2:11pm | ! Report

Yes, clearly Iran has been in the grip of a Islamic dictatorship since 1979 because the Guardian doesn’t do enough to highlight old photos of women not wearing burqas in the 70’s. The link is so clear and present I’m surprised more people haven’t made it.

You should check into what Mohammad Reza Pahlavi got up to in the lead-up to 1979 if you want to understand more about why Iran so enthusiastically plunged back into a fundamentalist dictatorship. A hell of a lot of grievances against a despot who was reduced to arresting people and trashing their religious heritage. It’s not hard to understand why it happened. Certainly it’s more subtle than simply blaming lefties, but whatever keeps you safe at night.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 5:10pm
                Aligee said | January 2nd 2018 @ 5:10pm | ! Report

You make intelligent posts, but then have a snipe at the end, you don’t need to, it weakens your position rather than strengthens it.,

Have a look at all the Islamophobia in Iran ATM – LOL, yes that’s right, thats what we in the West call it.

There is no doubt the left which includes a huge number of feminists is in bed with Islam, quite sickening really, when in reality they should be marching against the hijab, like women are doing in Iran ATM.

January 3rd 2018 @ 1:09am
                Dalgety Carrington said | January 3rd 2018 @ 1:09am | ! Report

Hahaha, points for keeping a straight face throwing out the already hackneyed cop-out that is “fake MSM” Aligee, innit.

Although it’s an interesting manoeuvre for Panahi to rebel against the impact a reactionary conservative movement had on her, by becoming a cheerleader for reactionary conservatism.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 9:02am
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 9:02am | ! Report

@PD, perhaps you should check out how Obama sent billions – yes billions of $ of unmarked, untraceable foreign currency to Iran on pallets shipped in by plane to the greatest backer of terrorism in the world.- WTF!!!

@DG, lol, you are comparing conservatives here to conservatives in Iran, let me guess anyone or anything to the right of the young communists league is a conservative right ?

I would agree with another poster – enough politics, but like another poster said if someone starts and someone did, i am happy to answer and not let stuff go unchallenged.

January 3rd 2018 @ 9:21am
                Dalgety Carrington said | January 3rd 2018 @ 9:21am | ! Report

Haha That’s your challenge? “yeah, but, no, but”

• January 3rd 2018 @ 9:31am
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 9:31am | ! Report

Yes Obama – Billions of unmarked untraceable $ shipped to Iran on pallets by cargo plan.

LOl, no buts about it.

Your challenge may be to open your mind.

Far to challenging probably.

January 3rd 2018 @ 10:10am
                Dalgety Carrington said | January 3rd 2018 @ 10:10am | ! Report

I wasn’t addressing that unverified alternate fact about Obama, although I’m sure the source you’ve imbibed it from is impeccable.

But “left” and “right” are just invented ideas that have no existence outside our heads. The main use for them outside of academic discourse is to have someone to throw stones at. They’re highly changeable to whatever suits your view. It’s a lazy way to get more people to accept your logically faulty worldview.

Conservative/progressive continuum is a more useful measure, but still relative. For example, the political party of choice for conservatives in China or North Korea is the Communist Party.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 10:27am
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 10:27am | ! Report

Its verified alright, but maybe you are to scared to seek it out, because Trump is the real enemy right!!

Could have wired the money, but like a drug dealing cartel sent billions via cargo planes in the dead of night unbeknownst to congress and against American law put in place 6 administrations ago that prohibits aid or any business or finance to countries that promote terror, in particular Iran

Any other American would be in handcuffs, yet the MSM suffocate it at every turn, Obama was the medias darling.

It must be so hard to google, is your finger twitching ?.

January 3rd 2018 @ 10:44am
                AdelaideDocker said | January 3rd 2018 @ 10:44am | ! Report

Good lord. I’m all for politics talk (I study the damn thing) but I know the limits of talking about it on a sports forum.

You’re taking it to far, Aligee. Head back to Brietbart or Fox or whatever conservative safe space you like. Because I’m not sure how much longer this forum will tolerate your rambling, exaggerated thoughts.

January 3rd 2018 @ 11:11am
                Dalgety Carrington said | January 3rd 2018 @ 11:11am | ! Report

Oh yeah, I’m sure it’s “verified”, in the same way Las Vegas was “faked”, but as I said that’s not what I was addressing, it just seems a red herring for you to do another cop out with.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 11:37am
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 11:37am | ! Report

Excuse me my friends, but what i have pointed out is fact, Obama sent Billions, yes billions not millions to Iran in untraceable notes via a cargo plane on pallets in the middle of the night.

That is fact, not some exaggerated wishful thought, so stop attempting to tell me it is some bizarre bit of untruthful news from some conspiratorial news sites.

If that is taking it to far i apologize profusely for any inconvenience to your worldly view

January 3rd 2018 @ 11:45am
                Paul D said | January 3rd 2018 @ 11:45am | ! Report

What you haven’t mentioned is that it was payment for settlement of a long running dispute since 1979. The Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi who I mentioned above, who’d signed an agreement in principle to buy weapons from the United States. When the revolution occurred the US froze the money and held onto it for years.

All in all the US eventually agreed to pay $400 million + $1.3 billion interest to settle the claim made by Iran. Economists were in agreement that the US still finished far ahead on the deal, given they settled for $1.7 billion in 2017 and had held onto $400 million since 1979 earning interest for 38 years.

The reason the money was flown in was because Iran of course had no access to international banking markets given the longstanding economic sanctions applied against it. Conventional methods of transferring funds were not an option.

That is the actual truth of the matter. Not this fantasy strewn conspiracy theory you’re cooking up.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 12:17pm
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:17pm | ! Report

Did it behind congresses back without their knowledge under cover of night in violation of his own countries law on funding terrorism, anyone else would be in handcuffs.

So what i have said is fact, please elaborate on my apparent fantasy strewn conspiracy theory ?

Meanwhile CNN has told me Trump drinks to much diet coke

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:18pm
                Cat said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:18pm | ! Report

This isn’t a politics website, can you all kindly just f___ off with the political BS? It has NOTHING to do with the topic, or any topic on the entire website.

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:20pm
                AdelaideDocker said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:20pm | ! Report

I know I’m as culpable as anyone in bringing up politics today + yesterday, but I’m going to agree with Cat.

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:23pm
                Paul D said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:23pm | ! Report

Re: congress, standard practice for any sort of covert ops. You’ll notice the whole of congress wasn’t informed or munching popcorn in the sit ops room during the Bin Laden takedown either.

It’s just omission of key facts and cherry picking info. Yes what you have said is true but you’re not telling the whole story or providing any context. It’s just lazy debating, the equivalent of an inflammatory newspaper headline or clickbait. Which is basically all you are.

@Cat – it’s January 3, it’s about 3 months since the season ended and about 3 months till it starts again, get stuffed, turn off your email notifications for this thread if it’s got your sphincter so clenched. Who cares if it’s off topic. Just do what I do when you clowns are having one of your indepth arguments about trivial trivialities, ignore it

• January 3rd 2018 @ 12:29pm
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:29pm | ! Report

@PD, just repeat your first sentence to yourself and rehash …….. “Yes, Obama did send $400 million US to Iran in the form of Swiss francs, on a cargo plane, stacked on pallets.”

Now lets add untraceable notes, another couple of billion, behind congresses back and the money was proven to fund terrorism.

But hey Trump made a mean tweet.

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:33pm
                Paul D said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:33pm | ! Report

That’s just your interpretation of the facts.

It is not the actual facts of the case. Got anything else?

• January 3rd 2018 @ 12:45pm
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:45pm | ! Report

No, you overlook what you want, i have laid the facts out.

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:50pm
                TomC said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:50pm | ! Report

I agree with Cat. These long tedious political arguments discourage people who want to talk about sport from contributing and encourage yet more fringe agitators.

January 3rd 2018 @ 12:52pm
                Paul D said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:52pm | ! Report

I’m done anyway, Ali has completely run out of puff from the looks of things

Again. It’s January 3rd. If it was April 3rd I’d never have bothered getting into this argument. GAGF.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 1:21pm
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 1:21pm | ! Report

Haven’t run out of puff at all – not if puff is facts, all laid bare.

It is interesting because IMO the fringe agitators were the ones here disputing facts, not myself who provided them.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 2:39pm
                Pelican said | January 3rd 2018 @ 2:39pm | ! Report

Please moderate these political agitators out of this sports forum. Your right to free speach does not apply here. Its a sport forum. Go and pedal your crap to news limited they love it.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 1:21pm
                Mattyb said | January 3rd 2018 @ 1:21pm | ! Report

I’m enjoying the debate.
                Lol to the police who can’t just ignore or scroll down discussion they don’t approve of.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 10:39am
      Graeme said | January 2nd 2018 @ 10:39am | ! Report

That’s a loss for the ABC. Hopefully not a loss for Gerard … I’m an ABC type listener I admit, but some commentators are never quite the same once they leave for commercial radio & get too caught in entertainment and spruiking the sponsors’ products – Tim Lane & Kerry O’Keefe come to mind.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 2:50pm
        Birdman said | January 2nd 2018 @ 2:50pm | ! Report

Good post Graeme but Whateley’s handled the AFL 360 gig without losing his soul so I reckon he’ll be ok post ABC but yes a great loss to the public broadcaster.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 11:19am
      Aransan said | January 2nd 2018 @ 11:19am | ! Report

I am sorry, but I don’t like Kelli Underwood as a commentator.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:20pm
        Birdman said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:20pm | ! Report

not sold on her game calling but she certainly knows her onions when it comes to punditry.

• January 2nd 2018 @ 12:45pm
          Aransan said | January 2nd 2018 @ 12:45pm | ! Report

The silence on here with regard to Underwood is deafening. I think the ABC would do well to recruit Daisy Pearce. Isn’t Alison Mitchell a delight to hear on the cricket?

• January 2nd 2018 @ 1:53pm
            I ate pies said | January 2nd 2018 @ 1:53pm | ! Report

This comment has been removed for breaching The Roar’s comments policy.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 9:40am
              Aransan said | January 3rd 2018 @ 9:40am | ! Report

Admittedly she has had a restricted role but have you heard Daisy Pearce? It does help if you have played the game at a high level although that hasn’t held back Gerard Whateley.

January 3rd 2018 @ 11:15am
                Dalgety Carrington said | January 3rd 2018 @ 11:15am | ! Report

Not having played the game actually serves as a positive in some ways. There’s probably less ego to get in the way for starters.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 12:14pm
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 12:14pm | ! Report

How so, dont commentators have egos now /.

January 3rd 2018 @ 2:14pm
                Dalgety Carrington said | January 3rd 2018 @ 2:14pm | ! Report

What? Are you even paying attention to what you’re writing or replying to? It seems like you’ve switched off critical thinking completely and gone fully into t.roll mode.

• January 3rd 2018 @ 3:02pm
                Aligee said | January 3rd 2018 @ 3:02pm | ! Report

More so than you it appears, some commentators have big egos and some ex players don’t, what’s so controversial about that.

January 3rd 2018 @ 10:25am
              AdelaideDocker said | January 3rd 2018 @ 10:25am | ! Report

That’s a despicable statement. It’s awful, some might say.