John Thompson-Mills Columnist

John Thompson-Mills

Roar Expert

  • 73,734 Article Reads
  • 94 Articles Written
  • 162 Comments Written

About

Member Since:
January 2013
Favourite Sports:
Cycling, Football,
Google+:
John Thompson-Mills

Latest Articles

Showing articles 1 - 6 of 94 | More Articles >
Cycling and racism: UCI needs to get ahead of the game

Cycling and racism: UCI needs to get ahead of the game

2 days ago

If you go to the front page of the FIFA website, world football’s governing body, you’ll see a link called social responsibility. Click on that and you’ll see a link for anti-racism which reads in part under Article 3: Discrimination of any kind against a Country, private person or group of people on account of […]

Michael Rogers: Stage win at Le Tour caps off remarkable return

Michael Rogers: Stage win at Le Tour caps off remarkable return

3 days ago

Michael Rogers is as good a cycling tactician as you’ll find, but his sudden ability to win three Grand Tour stages in just two months can’t just be put down to talent. He’s learned some life lessons, and learned well. Last October Rogers tested positive for Clenbuterol. In April, he beat the charge and returned […]

Predicting the Tour de France podium

Predicting the Tour de France podium

6 days ago

A two-day incursion into the Alps is over and with a flat stage the next rendezvous for the peloton, the podium contenders can enjoy a day off before the Pyrenees and Bergerac time-trial decides the 101st Tour de France. With three Pyrenean stages, involving seven major climbs, and three lumpy 54-kilometre time trials, there are […]

Tour de France: From Richies to rags

6 days ago

The European journos were convinced he wouldn’t last the pace – and they were right. Despite some promising signs in the past week, Richie Porte’s much debated fragility was exposed once again at the Tour de France. It may have been the first Hors Category climb of the 101st Tour but it wasn’t the hardest […]

Can’t quit: Cycling’s addiction to Le Tour

Can't quit: Cycling's addiction to Le Tour

17 Jul 2014

Yesterday I suggested that the sheer size of and focus on the Tour de France was becoming so big, it had fundamentally changed cycling. Aussie veteran Michael Rogers believes the Tour is 98 per cent of cycling now and the rest of the races are only 2 per cent. He told me “something has changed […]

“Something’s changed”: Is the Tour de France too much pressure?

"Something's changed": Is the Tour de France too much pressure?

16 Jul 2014

This is my first trip to the Tour de France, and I knew it would be big. So far, I haven’t seen anything to change that perception. Today’s rest day has allowed some time for reflection on the ten hectic days we’ve seen so far, and a chance to put things into perspective. There’s no […]

More Articles >