GC coach Miron not worried about his job

By Chris Pike, Chris Pike is a Roar Guru

Despite yet another largely dispirited showing from his side in a 2-0 loss in Perth on Saturday night, Gold Coast United coach Miron Bleiberg is not feeling the pressure.

Gold Coast remains anchored to the bottom of the A-League table after a 2-0 loss to the Glory, who had lost four of their past five games.

The manner of the loss was as alarming as the score. United handed the hosts the win – literally.

There were two avoidable penalties, with Zach Anderson’s 19th minute blunder the most baffling.

With no opponent near him, Anderson put both hands up in the air and the ball did nothing but bang straight into his outstretched arms.

For Bleiberg that summed up the problems of having a young and inexperienced team.

But despite his charges’ sixth loss for the season, Bleiberg isn’t concerned about his job security – largely because owner Clive Palmer played a hand in constructing the team.

“We are paying the price obviously for going with young players and there are no miracles, but that’s the decisions of the club,” Bleiberg said.

“I am employed by the club and if Clive decides to go with the youngsters, I don’t tell him no. That’s life and we are going with the youngsters.

“Every few years as a coach you have a year where nothing works for you. This is my year but how the year is ending or whatever, there is no pressure because I am talking to Clive.

“That’s it. Life is as normal. In my case, I think it is an irrelevant question at the moment.

“Do I want to continue to work with these youngsters? Yes.

“Do I believe that we can turn the corner? I believe that we can do it this year.

“There’s no pressure, nothing.”

Bleiberg restrained himself from blasting Anderson, who compounded his mistake with a careless challenge in the 62nd minute on Glory’s Andrezinho to earn his second yellow card.

“It was the most obvious penalty you can ever see,” Bleiberg said.

“I think maybe he thought he played for Fremantle Aussie Rules. Honestly it was strange, but that’s it.

“Zach didn’t play bad. (But) him not playing bad still cost a red card and penalty.

“So what can you do, do you shoot him? No. I’m not abusing him or throwing a vacuum cleaner or bottle at him. If I scream at him, it makes him think about my scream. Instead let it eat it from himself inside and he won’t do it anymore. That’s my philosophy and psychology.”

© AAP 2018
    Chris Pike
    Chris Pike

Chris Pike grew up in Geelong, has now lived almost half his life in Perth and while having covered virtually every sport to some degree, basketball and the NBL has become a specialty of his. With several years as Perth Wildcats media manager, working with the NBL and writing for AAP, Sportal and News Limited, he has seen it all over the past decade and isn't afraid to express an opinion.

Do you find yourself logged out of The Roar?
    We have just switched over to a secure site (https). This means you will need to log-in afresh. If you need help with recovering your password, please get in contact.

This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

• December 6th 2011 @ 8:25am
      pete4 said | December 6th 2011 @ 8:25am | ! Report

I think a change of coach can only be a good thing for GCU

• December 6th 2011 @ 9:02am
        Qantas supports Australian Football said | December 6th 2011 @ 9:02am | ! Report

Pete4—the problem is Miron and Clive are best of buddies and if it wasn’t for Miron there wouldn’t have been any Clive to start up the club. Miron’s vision and Clives money. A lot of people don’t reliase if Miron walks then Cive will to. But I do agree a new manager would help and Miron could be still involved at the club as the Technical Football Director—in that department he would be great.

• December 6th 2011 @ 9:52am
          Futbanous said | December 6th 2011 @ 9:52am | ! Report

Therein lies a major problem from the outset. Owner & coach never the twain shall meet. Not the right balance for a professional football club setup.
          From what you are saying then if this club is to continue a change of coach(preferably one who stands no interference) is the go. In fact from what you are saying I see no other choice,regardless of winning or losing.

• December 6th 2011 @ 10:53am
            Qantas supports Australian Football said | December 6th 2011 @ 10:53am | ! Report

What I’m saying that Miron should have moved over for Paul Okon at the start of HAL season one as it was planned by Miron himself to let Paul Okon resume the reins. Why didn’t that happen—simple the club was spending more on wages then it was drawing through the gate. What would any Owner do but cut costs to try and keep the ship afloat. Okon was dispensable as he had no input in setting up the club and no track record as a football manager. Other areas of cost cutting occurred with the cap and one year contracts etc. Promoting the kids was a year too early, but I still believe we can ride through this when the next TV deal is done. Notwithstanding Clive has the money to keep it afloat for 20 yrs perhaps, but that’s not what it’s all about, understandably he wants the club to stand on its own two feet—if that eventually happens then proper coaching staff will come in. Although I believe Mike Mulvey (assistant manager) is doing a wonderful job with the youth team. Maybe he will take over and Miron moved to TFD department and more secondary coaches appointed. The next TV deal will tell all—can’t come soon enough for the club’s future. I support Clive and Miron without them we would not have had any football on the Gold Coast.

• December 6th 2011 @ 10:59am
              pete4 said | December 6th 2011 @ 10:59am | ! Report

I think someone like Farina, Merrick or Okon would re-energise GCU fans to a certain extent as although Miron might be a good coach I think he’s had a negative impact off the park up there

• December 6th 2011 @ 12:24pm
                Qantas supports Australian Football said | December 6th 2011 @ 12:24pm | ! Report

Most of GCU supporters would be delighted if Okon was to return and Miron appointed Football Director of GCU as it was planned after HAL season one. However, I don’t expect that to happen..