Timani still wants to prove Brumbies wrong

NSW lock Sitaleki Timani isn’t someone you want on your bad side and, unfortunately for the Brumbies, the Super Rugby man mountain has a long memory.

Timani was with the Brumbies in 2010 and barely had a look in, however the Waratahs have since found the 203cm and 120kg giant a more-than-handy weapon.

Last year in the corresponding match in Canberra, Timani responded to his snubbing by scoring the final-minute match-winner against the Brumbies.

And this time around, the Waratahs will try to take advantage of that burning fire once more, elevating the 25-year-old to the starting-line-up for the first time this season.

Timani said he’s still driven by a desire to prove his former side wrong for not playing him, and is fired up for Saturday night’s crucial Australian Conference derby which the Waratahs are viewing as a must-win for their finals hopes.

“Coming off 2010, I didn’t play any games at the Brumbies and I came down here and got a chance to go back and play against them and it gave me more motivation to try and prove something,” Timani said.

“I’m still trying to prove myself … to every team.

“It’s always good to play against your old mates in Canberra and it’s a big challenge to try and push in and beat them.

“I was just lucky to be there at the right time to get us the win last year. It was a pick and go behind the ruck and I didn’t really see the line. I just put my arm out hoping I was at the line.”

Timani made his international debut for Australia against Samoa last year, and says he’s determined to attract the attention of selectors again.

The Tongan-born forward says he’s focused on making his starting berth at the Waratahs permanent, and he’ll let the rest take care of itself.

“I’m not really thinking about the Wallabies now. I’m just working step by step,” he said.

“My first step now is to try and regain the starting position and the next step is to go from there and play well and try and get the selectors interested in me.”

The game-breaking Timani moves into the starting 15 at the expense of Dean Mumm, who moves back to the reserves bench.

Timani’s promotion is the only change to the Waratahs’ starting XV that lost 37-33 to the Crusaders on Sunday, with blindside flanker Dave Dennis retaining the No.6 jumper from Rocky Elsom.

© AAP 2018

This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

• May 4th 2012 @ 3:45am
      kingplaymaker said | May 4th 2012 @ 3:45am | ! Report

Both Timanis and Joe Tomane should play for Wallabies this year, along with Hooper, Gill and Vaea.

• May 4th 2012 @ 7:09am
      Johnno said | May 4th 2012 @ 7:09am | ! Report

And so should Kuridrani, Tom Kingston, and Henry Speight. Who would you prefer to have to mark people.
      AAC Rob Horne, or a big fearsome 6’5 105kg aggressive young raw 21 yr old like Kuridrani.

• May 4th 2012 @ 2:59pm
        BraveHeart said | May 4th 2012 @ 2:59pm | ! Report

Kuridrani should make the starting berth permanent first

• May 4th 2012 @ 7:20am
      kingplaymaker said | May 4th 2012 @ 7:20am | ! Report

Johnno Deans it would seem has a dream opportunity of trying out new players because of having to play almost two different teams against Scotland and Wales, but that opportunity could be a double-jawed trap as of course those too teams are just a little too good to roll out a team of novices and expect it to win.

So the spine of each team will probably need to be steady and familiar, but I would hope to see at least 3 or 4 new players in each 22 and with any others to be phased in over the Wales tour.

Kudriani and Tomane would at least add some size in midfield.

I think Deans should try to be bold because the Lions arrive next year so there is little time left for new players.

• May 4th 2012 @ 7:42am
      Johnno said | May 4th 2012 @ 7:42am | ! Report

KPM some size , energy, natural aggression, and very strong in attack and tough 1 on 1 Joe Tomane or Kudriani would be tough to mark 10-15 metres out, and men like this have the ability to put fear and respect into the opposition Ma Nonu would hate to have muscle up to Kudriani, same with SBW or Freuan , or Kahui, with Kudriani being taller. Plus there hit ups would get over the advantage line, something AAC or rob horn or tom carter fault to do.
      I am a pat Mcabe Fan, as he is such a good defender one of the best defenders ever I have seen. I know he is not your favourite player KPM but he offers more than Tom Carter I think who was made to look amateur by Robbie Freun.. I agree his attack is at times, is 1 dimensional. But he runs hard at least he has improved his ball playing skills. But Mcabe does run hard he has matured under a White a bit.

• May 4th 2012 @ 8:00am
      kingplaymaker said | May 4th 2012 @ 8:00am | ! Report

Johnno I admire Mccabe’s directness, committment, fearlessness, and straightforwardness. He doesn’t claim to do anything too fancy but throws himself into what he does. He was certainly critical in the quarter-final victory over South Africa and is far above Tom Carter.

I hope for something from Tomane or Kudriani too, but really it would be nice if some other new players as well this year!

• May 4th 2012 @ 8:43am
      Sailosi said | May 4th 2012 @ 8:43am | ! Report

Maybe Kuridrani, but not Tomane, he’s a very limited player at this stage. He has zero kicking game, his work off the ball is average and he can’t pass to his left. Maybe another year or two.

When is Henry Speight eligible?

Comment left via The Roar’s iPhone app. Download The Roar’s iPhone App in the App Store here.

, , , ,