Warne says he’d play Tests again if asked

By AAP,

Shane Warne says he’d consider an Ashes comeback – but only if asked by Australian captain Michael Clarke.

Australia’s record wicket-taker, who is preparing for another season of the Big Bash League, told News Limited newspapers he could confidently bowl up to Test standard again.

While indicating he was happily retired form the longer form of the game Warne said if his close friend Clarke suggested his services were needed he’d give it some serious thought.

“If your best friend says, ‘Mate, I want you to seriously consider making a commitment to Australian cricket and coming back out of retirement’, (to) make myself available for selection, that’s a different scenario,” Warne said.

The 43 year-old, who has 195 Ashes wickets in 36 Tests at an 23.25, said he felt the urge to play the five-day game again while watching the third Test against South Africa in Perth, when the Australian attack took a beating in the Proteas’ second innings.

“I felt like I wanted to jump off the couch and grab the ball,” he said.

“I really felt for Michael Clarke from a captaincy point of view.

“When you’ve got international bowlers bowling one or two full-tosses an over and half-volleys, I felt for Pup, I really felt for him.”

Warne said he was well pleased with his bowling for the Renegades in the lead up to the T20 BBL.

“I think I’m bowling as good as I have for a long time – the best I have since I retired from international cricket in 2007,” he said.

“It’s because I’m fresh. I don’t bowl for 9-10 months of the year and bowl 5000 overs any more.”

© AAP 2018

• December 5th 2012 @ 7:00am
      Rob said | December 5th 2012 @ 7:00am | ! Report

Typical warne, saying something ridiculous to get him back in the headlines just in case we were forgetting who he was. Great cricketer and fantastic to watch…….but shocking bloke.

• December 5th 2012 @ 2:38pm
        amazonfan said | December 5th 2012 @ 2:38pm | ! Report

How is he a shocking bloke? I don’t see what was so bad about what he said.

• December 5th 2012 @ 8:09am
      Red Kev said | December 5th 2012 @ 8:09am | ! Report

Go back to turning yourself into a plastic thunderbirds doll lookalike Warney, you’re not putting on a baggy green again.

• December 5th 2012 @ 12:25pm
      Dan McGrath said | December 5th 2012 @ 12:25pm | ! Report

The cynic in me suggests this is nothing more than a publicity stunt to feed Warne’s ego.

Even if he did suddenly decide to come out of retirement, the performances of Nathan Lyon would keep Warne out of the team, on merit at least.

December 5th 2012 @ 1:30pm
      The Barry said | December 5th 2012 @ 1:30pm | ! Report

I don’t think it’s necessarily Warney’s fault. He’s publicising the BBL at the moment and everything he says is an automatic headline. I can imagine a journo asking “do you think you could still handle test cricket Warney?”

“Yeah”

Headline : WARNE KEEN ON TEST RECALL

December 5th 2012 @ 1:33pm
      The Barry said | December 5th 2012 @ 1:33pm | ! Report

At the moment on the Roar there are the following articles :

Warne keen to play test cricket
      Warne says Sixers are BBL favourites
      Warne says Quiney should replace Ponting
      Warne says Clarke ok at 5

Every time he opens his mouth he creates a headline…

• December 5th 2012 @ 6:05pm
      Bearfax said | December 5th 2012 @ 6:05pm | ! Report

Thanks Warne but no thanks. Australia needs to rebuild its stocks and give players coming through their chance. Sure they may not be any where near as good as you, but its their turn for the opportunity and they need the experience to develop their skills. I have decreasing respect in the present lot of selectors and have a gut feeling that they’ll choose Quiney for No 3. If so we all should be demanding that they be sacked. Same applies to allowing Warne back. He hasnt done the hard work of late working his way through grade and Sheffield Shield. If he wants to return and go through that process again, then sure he should be considered. But selecting him would be an insult to those who are struggling week by week to get to that stage.