Phil Hughes key to Indian success: Siddle

By Robert Grant,

Pace bowler Peter Siddle has pinpointed recently recalled batsman Phillip Hughes as the key weapon in Australia’s Test series against India starting later this month.

“If we look at Phillip Hughes, the form he’s had since he came back into the Australian side… he showed he’d changed his game for the best,” Siddle said on Thursday.

“His form in the one-dayers has been outstanding.

“If he can translate that over to the Indian conditions, which will be a little bit different, he’s the one.

“If he can get going and support Pup (Michael Clarke) and Davy (David Warner) and Watto (Shane Watson) we can get those big totals.”

While admitting getting wickets through pace will be hard on the dry and spin-friendly Indian pitches, Siddle said the team needed to stick with what had produced results in the past.

“The way we’ve won Test matches for years now has been with our pace,” Siddle said.

“That’s going to play a big role but (off-spinner) Nate (Lyon) is probably going to play a big role at the other end and I think that’s where his game will flourish even more.

“He’ll get a lot of assistance over there so I think combined the line-up will do well.”

Siddle said the side had a basic plan but patience would be emphasised as a key factor.

“We have to bowl as straight as we can and be as patient as we can be,” he said.

“It’s always been the case, even for a spinner – still patience. Indian wickets are hard work, the games go a little bit slower because the wickets are hard to score on.”

Siddle said the Australians would be wary of veteran star Sachin Tendulkar despite his decision to wind back his on-field commitments.

“He’s finished up one day cricket and Twenty20 to concentrate on tests so he’ll be looking to come out hard,” Siddle said.

“The last series over here we got on top of him a bit but he’ll be looking to fire back.

“He’s going to be a tough contest but hopefully one we can get early enough more times than not.”

Siddle said the Australians had a point to prove in the difficult conditions over the four-Test series, which starts in Chennai on February 22.

“I think so,” Siddle said. “You look back on the years gone by and the series results we’ve had over there – it has been hard work for us.

“It’s been a tough stomping ground so I guess this is a time with a new-look team and hopefully we can go over there and stamp our authority and go from ball one and get stuck in.”

© AAP 2018

• February 8th 2013 @ 8:09am
      Varun said | February 8th 2013 @ 8:09am | ! Report

We all know Clarke will be key but how guys such as Hughes, Warner and khawaja play will be key to our winning chances as our bowling is strong, keep in mind that our last win in India in 2004 came through good fast bowling from McGrath, lee and Gillespie as warnie played a supporting role in that series

• February 8th 2013 @ 11:50am
        jones said | February 8th 2013 @ 11:50am | ! Report

Lee did not play in the series

• February 9th 2013 @ 1:57pm
        Disco said | February 9th 2013 @ 1:57pm | ! Report

It also came through the batting of Damien Martyn.

• February 8th 2013 @ 1:24pm
      Bearfax said | February 8th 2013 @ 1:24pm | ! Report

The key I believe will be our bowling. Siddle and Johnson have some familiarity regarding Indian conditions but our three potential star fast bowlers in Bird, Starc and Patterson are new and its going to depend on how quickly they adapt. I think Bird will be fine because he bowls very straight. The other two could give Australia the tests or become non events. Our spin bowling is a little thin. Lyons and Doherty may do well. Maxwell could find himself being bashed out of the attack. Henriques is smart and quick to adapt but are his medium paces suited to Indian conditions. I believe this is where Australia will win of lose games.

Australia has a couple of good batsmen against spin such as Clarke and Khawaja. Be interesting how Warner handles things. Hughes should thrive. Maxwell I suspect will be found wanting against clever spin. He’s gifted but what I’ve seen of him so far is he’s too impulsive..could prove me wrong but I dont think so. Henriques has a better batting style against spinners. Smith will be useless as a bowler but could thrive as a batsman there. Watson and Wade will be OK without being brilliant.

• February 8th 2013 @ 1:56pm
        Brendon said | February 8th 2013 @ 1:56pm | ! Report

I doubt Maxwell will play, I think this may be a case of take him as a development player, plus he’s John Inverarity’s love child so I’m thinking family flies for free.

I’m pretty sure most of the Indian top order will be there with signs at the airport welcoming Xavier Doherty to the country as well.

• February 8th 2013 @ 3:47pm
        Varun said | February 8th 2013 @ 3:47pm | ! Report

I hope maxwell us used just as a development player as his spin won’t stand up against the Indians, how our younger batsman such as Hughes and khawaja handle spin will be the key

• February 9th 2013 @ 6:04pm
        Rob Barrow said | February 9th 2013 @ 6:04pm | ! Report

I think the warm up games will show that Maxwell’s bowling is not good enough for test cricket and in that case we will have the following lineup with Watto at opener and Khawaja at 5 with Clarke at 4. – Watson, Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Khawaja, Wade, Henriques, Lyon, Doherty, Pattison, Siddle, Starc(12th). Khawaja should come in at 4 or 5 depending on where we put Clarke(my suggestion at 4 as he is our best batsman) and obviously the bowlers can be moved around depending on conditions.

• February 8th 2013 @ 2:49pm
      Lancey5times said | February 8th 2013 @ 2:49pm | ! Report

@Brendon, love it. My disdain for Maxwell is so strong that when I play Stickcricket on my iPhone I deliberately lose his wicket when he comes in to bat

Comment left via The Roar’s iPhone app. Download it now [http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/the-roar/id327174726?mt=8].

• February 8th 2013 @ 6:24pm
      Whiteline said | February 8th 2013 @ 6:24pm | ! Report

Smartest thing Siddle has ever said.

• February 9th 2013 @ 1:34am
      mactheblack said | February 9th 2013 @ 1:34am | ! Report

The question is why did they drop the youngster after scoring a century against the Proteas a few seasons ago in South Africa on debut, I think? His century was really something to savour and his attack-mindedness showed he was one for the future. His attacking style though seemed to be his downfall then, but surely with a bit of patience and nurturing he could have already been a mainstay in the opening berth by now. Instead as is Australian selectors habit, they resort to knee-jerk reactions when players fail, drop players and choose opening combinations that have not come up trumps. As it is except maybe for SA, – the game today is short of openers who can bat for long periods (partnerships) and see off the shine on the new ball at least for the No 3 and 4. Now let’s hope Inverarity and Co. show more patience

• March 6th 2013 @ 7:30am
      Don said | March 6th 2013 @ 7:30am | ! Report

I have come from the future to tell you that Hughes is a complete failure in India.

• March 6th 2013 @ 8:11am
        Bearfax said | March 6th 2013 @ 8:11am | ! Report

I have come from the distant future. Hughes has just retired after a successful test career. He has been seen as one of the dominant batsmen of his time along with Khawaja and Warner. We fear that the next generation of players coming along to replace these greats, are not good enough to replace these dominant figures especially following the new breeds failure recently in India against spin.