Live scores
Live Commentary
Dragons : 6
vs
Roosters : 2
| 28:27

Gould attacks ACC’s lack of detail

By AAP,

Lack of detail in the Australian Crime Commission’s (ACC) report is an “extraordinary attack on Australian sport”, according to senior rugby league figure Phil Gould.

Penrith general manager Gould, whose NRL club is being investigated by the league’s independent auditors, was one of several sports identities to criticise the ACC on Friday for its broad-brush approach that tarnished all players.

Gould said it was unfair for the ACC to outline widespread doping in Australian professional sport and links to organised crime without providing more clarity.

“This report from the Crime Commission is full of words like maybe, could be, suspected and potential,” Gould told Channel 9.

“Nobody has been named, no club has been named and no sport has been named.

“It’s a broad-brush condemnation of Australian sport everywhere.

“At the moment, everyone is guilty and I’m not sure, even if they find pockets of illegality, how you repair the integrity of everyone else who is in fact innocent.”

NSW State of Origin coach Laurie Daley, in Brisbane for the NRL All-Stars game, said it was sad that every professional athlete had been “tarnished”.

“Until you know more detail, I’m like everyone else – I am left in the dark a little bit,” Daley said.

“You’d like to know what the charges are or where we actually sit in terms of what’s been revealed …until you really know, it’s all speculation.”

Injured Australian fast bowler Pat Cummins said the ACC’s report had yet to temper his belief that cricket was clean and hoped the public agreed.

“99 per cent of people woke up the same this morning – they’re not worried and, as far as I know, everyone in cricket is feeling exactly that,” the teenager said at the SCG ahead of the one-day international.

“Here at cricket, I’ve never seen anything that’s closely related to what they were talking about yesterday.”

Ex-president of AFL club Hawthorn Jeff Kennett said “you can’t just slam and slur everyone”, while former Sydney Swans coach Paul Roos believed the ACC should do more to improve the reputation of clean athletes and sports.

Roos said there was no need to name names in the investigation but there must be clarity on just how widespread the problem is.

“It’s made a blanket statement,” Roos told Fairfax Radio.

“I would have liked to have heard ‘look we have 35 examples across four codes. We’re not going to give any details of names clearly because we’re still investigating’.

“Obviously there must be some logic behind what they did but certainly it sort of throws everyone in the pot.”

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd also spoke out about the issue.

“The core challenge now is to establish the facts – which players, which clubs?” Rudd told the Seven Network.

© AAP 2018

• February 9th 2013 @ 9:37am
      nopuritan said | February 9th 2013 @ 9:37am | ! Report

nice smokescreen Gus.

• February 9th 2013 @ 11:16pm
        Von Neumann said | February 9th 2013 @ 11:16pm | ! Report

Like always, we should disregard phil gould, like most people do.

Also, note that he is actually implicated by association, like paul roos and all the others, even the cricket player they talked to, in this whole thing. Is it any wonder they are trying to discredit what the commission did? Whether they are guilty or not (and I dont for a moment think these guys are) it still does not change their personal bias and choice to defend what they have invested so much into. I think to admit otherwise (that their players were dopers – and I dont think they are) would cause severe phsycological damage, not in the least feelings of worthlessness and apathy.

So, all I am saying is, you can’t exactly trust them to give you the right perspective……though I will admit to wayne bennett saying it best, good on you wayne. Still, you probably even can’t talk to him, though I would definitely take on board what he said.

No doubt drugs are much better than they previously were in some regards, but in others, I bet they are worse. This whole systematic arrangement from outside criminal sources is truly horrible.

For this reason alone, gould should have been in support of the commission, while only trying to get across his club was ok. He always oversteps the mark. Just like his commentary.

• February 9th 2013 @ 12:12pm
      Roarsome said | February 9th 2013 @ 12:12pm | ! Report

I hear there’s corruption, bribery and blackmail inside the ACC with possible links to potential terrorist cells and suspected alien life forms.

Comment left via The Roar’s iPhone app. Download it now [http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/the-roar/id327174726?mt=8].

• February 9th 2013 @ 1:21pm
      Bearfax said | February 9th 2013 @ 1:21pm | ! Report

Sorry but in this case I feel Gould is right, and I rarely agree with Gould.

To me there has been a lot of generalised innuendos and suggestions about illicit activities without evidence being put forward. Sounds very much to me that the authorities have little and are going on a witch hunt besmirching players and clubs alike. Clubs are being demeaned by a process in which they cannot answer because the allegations have been made without apparent evidence being forthcoming, only suspicions.

I’m opposed to illicit drug use generally and in sport as much as the next person. But the authorities in such a public issue have to come clean themselves and say what they’ve got and either indicate that there is something untoward with a club or player or they are clean. This hidden process seemingly with no evidence to reveal is damaging to everyone. Shaking trees may be a way of getting people to talk but it can only go so far before harm is done to the innocent,and that is not what the legal system is about.

If you’ve got something, get on with it, so the rest of us can get on with enjoyed our sport.

• February 9th 2013 @ 6:08pm
        GoGWS said | February 9th 2013 @ 6:08pm | ! Report

I agree – this is about the only thing I can recall Gould every saying that makes an sense. It seems though that the NRL does have more details from additional briefings and they have started the process.

As a general comment, and maybe I’m naive, but in practice I find it hard to imagine how a crime figure could influence the outcome of an individual AFL game – there are 22 players in the team and even if you bought off a few players to play below their best there’s no guarantees that that would make much of a difference to the final result. Just saying… I think ‘micro-bets’ in AFL are more open to manipulation, e.g. betting on the first goal scorer etc.. I can see how micro-bets might be open to manipulation but the outcome of an AFL game itself is pretty impractical to rig from a player’s point of view….when we have seen suspected tanking in the AFL the focus has been on the coaching staff making strange tactical decisions rather than players not trying (e.g. coaches playing players out of position etc)…. I think NRL are possibly easier to rig because it’s easier to imagine paying off a few key players to make sure a team did not win (e.g. pay off key try scorers to make sure that if they are ever open they knock on ‘accidentally’)….

Anyway this will be interesting to see how it plays out…

February 9th 2013 @ 8:00pm
      Bazzio said | February 9th 2013 @ 8:00pm | ! Report

Gould attacks everything he hears. Period.

• February 9th 2013 @ 11:23pm
        Von Neumann said | February 9th 2013 @ 11:23pm | ! Report

Indeed. Gould is wrong, plain wrong. He is so one eyed, if players went on a mass murder spree I bet he would put it down to “the fish bowel lifestyle and the pressures of playing the modern game”

• February 10th 2013 @ 10:19am
        nopuritan said | February 10th 2013 @ 10:19am | ! Report

gould is engaging in cognitive dissonance. his opinion has no value as he is an overt supporter of gambling and by association the corruption that is an integral part of this “industry”.

• February 9th 2013 @ 11:50pm
      PA said | February 9th 2013 @ 11:50pm | ! Report

Why did they come out with this press conference? to ‘shake the tree’…. ‘throw mud n see what sticks’ and now they have opened up a dob in a druggy hotline? Seems like they have Nothing! , otherwise why haven’t charges been laid?.Very Poor,….is this Gillard at work?

• February 10th 2013 @ 12:26am
      Bearfax said | February 10th 2013 @ 12:26am | ! Report

McCarthyism. Witch hunt in progress. All those known to have questionable associations will be prosecuted, burned at the stake, placed on the rack, thumb screws. And I thought the Inquisition had been booted. Instead its obviously been rebooted