This article continues my series of monthly updates on the ratings and attendances of club football games in Australia across all four codes.
This article, and the next two, will include statistics across two months.
The September-October period takes into account the final round of the NRL, the AFL finals series and the opening rounds of the A-League, which includes a few blockbuster games.
As is the norm, I focus on Fox Sports ratings. It is worth noting that the NRL finals series are not televised on Fox. The early finish of Super Rugby means that no club rugby games appear.
The top four ratings programs are dominated by the AFL finals series, with the Hawthorn versus Port Adelaide preliminary final heading the list with a very impressive rating of 478,000.
Another preliminary final took second spot, the Sydney Swans versus North Melbourne (424,000).
North Queensland versus Manly, from the final round of the NRL, rounded off the top five with 344,000, a very good rating for a regular season match.
In the opening rounds of the A-League, glamour club Western Sydney Wanderers, the newly crowned champions of Asia, had the two best rating games: 188,000 against Sydney FC and 122,000 against Melbourne Victory.
Unsurprisingly, two grand finals made up the top attendances, with the AFL falling just short of the magic 100,000, while the NRL had a very healthy 83,833.
Four preliminary finals also made the top 10 attendances, although the third highest attendance was an elimination final between North Melbourne and Essendon (78,561).
The NRL would be pleased that the Souths versus Sydney Roosters preliminary final (52,592) edged out the Sydney Swans versus North Melbourne preliminary final (48,029).
Some big crowds were also recorded in the opening rounds of the A-League. The Melbourne and Sydney derbies both recorded crowds of above 40,000, while Adelaide United’s first venture to the upgraded Adelaide Oval, against the Victory, produced a healthy crowd of 33,126.
1. Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide (PF), 478k
2. Sydney Swans vs North Melbourne (PF), 424k
3. Fremantle vs Port Adelaide, 401k
4. Geelong vs North Melbourne, 382k
5. North Queensland vs Manly, 344k
6. Port Adelaide vs Richmond, 330k
7. Hawthorn vs Geelong, 327k
8. Sydney Swans vs Fremantle, 318k
9. North Melbourne vs Essendon, 299k
10. Canberra Raiders vs Parramatta, 257k
11. North Queensland vs Cronulla, 254k
12. Penrith vs New Zealand Warriors, 225k
13. Sydney FC vs WS Wanderers, 188k
14. Melbourne Victory vs WS Wanderers, 122k
15. Sydney FC vs Melbourne City, 118k
16. WS Wanderers vs Al-Hilal, 113k
17. Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory, 106k
18. Brisbane Roar vs Sydney FC, 99k
19. Melbourne Victory vs Melbourne City, 87k
20. Adelaide United vs Perth Glory, 82k
21. Melbourne City vs Adelaide United, 82k
1. Hawthorn vs Sydney Swans (GF), 99,454
2. Souths vs Canterbury (GF), 83,833
3. North Melbourne vs Essendon, 78,561
4. Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide (PF), 74,856
5. Hawthorn vs Geelong, 74,757
6. North Melbourne vs Geelong, 65,964
7. Souths vs Sydney Roosters (PF), 52,592
8. Port Adelaide vs Richmond, 49,886
9. Sydney Swans vs North Melbourne (PF), 48,029
10. Canterbury vs Penrith (PF), 46,168
11. Melbourne Victory vs Melbourne City, 43,729
12. Port Adelaide vs Fremantle, 42,338
13. Sydney FC vs WS Wanderers, 41,213
14. Sydney Swans vs Fremantle, 35,998
15. Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory, 33,126
16. Sydney Roosters vs Souths, 32,481
17. Melbourne Victory vs WS Wanderers, 30,083
18. Canterbury vs Manly, 28,186
19. Souths vs Manly, 25,733
20. Sydney FC vs Melbourne City, 25,525
21. North Queensland vs Brisbane Broncos, 25,120
22. Penrith vs Sydney Roosters, 23,449
23. North Queensland vs Manly, 22,521
24. Newcastle vs St George, 20,424
25. WS Wanderers vs Al-Hilal, 20,053
26. Melbourne Storm vs Brisbane Broncos, 20,032