This is the latest installment in a series of articles keeping tabs on club football ratings and attendances across the four football codes.
The first article for 2015 combines January and February, but from March onwards I will revert to monthly updates.
In the interests of comparability and accessibility, all ratings are for Fox Sports.
The January/February period was dominated by the A-League (noting that there was a small hiatus due to the hosting of the Asian Cup), with the opening rounds of the 2015 Super Rugby season also included. A handful of AFL pre-season games have also made the respective lists.
The Melbourne Victory had the two highest attendances for the period, culminating in the local derby attracting just on 40,000.
The Waratahs were the only other team to attract over 20,000 to a home game, having done so in their season opener against the Force.
On the ratings front, Hawthorn versus Collingwood topped the table with 179,000 for the opening game of the AFL’s pre-season NAB Challenge.
The recent A-League Sydney derby took second spot, with a very healthy 135,000, while the Rebels were able to get 122,000 in their second-round game against the Waratahs, both games being very tight for the duration.
The following month will see the opening rounds of the 2015 NRL season, while the start of the AFL season will occur the month after due to the Cricket World Cup.
1. Hawthorn versus Collingwood (pre-season) : 179k
2. West Sydney Wanderers versus Sydney FC: 135k
3. Melbourne Rebels versus NSW Waratahs : 122k
4. Melbourne Victory versus Melbourne City : 120k
5. West Coast Eagles versus Carlton (pre-season) : 120k
6. ACT Brumbies versus Queensland Reds : 112k
7. NSW Waratahs versus Western Force : 100k
8. Perth Glory versus Sydney FC : 94k
9. Gold Coast Suns versus Geelong (pre-season) : 94k
10. Crusaders versus Melbourne Rebels : 90k
11. Queensland Reds versus Western Force : 90k
12. Melbourne Victory versus Perth Glory : 84k
13. Perth Glory versus Adelaide United : 84k
14. Melbourne Rebels versus Queensland Reds : 84k
1. Melbourne Victory versus Melbourne City : 40,042
2. Melbourne Victory versus Perth Glory : 21,289
3. NSW Waratahs versus Western Force : 20,271
4. West Sydney Wanderers versus Sydney FC : 19,484
5. Sydney FC versus Melbourne Victory : 17,356
6. Hawthorn versus Collingwood (pre-season) : 15,422
7. Western Force versus Hurricanes : 14,670
8. West Sydney Wanderers versus Melbourne Victory : 14,619
9. Sydney FC versus Central Coast Mariners : 14,239
10. Queensland Reds versus Western Force : 14,199
11. West Sydney Wanderers versus Central Coast Mariners : 14,137
12. ACT Brumbies versus Queensland Reds : 13,570
13. West Sydney Wanderers versus Wellington Phoenix : 12,663
14. Perth Glory versus Melbourne Victory : 12,271
15. Melbourne Rebels versus NSW Waratahs : 12,178
16. Central Coast Mariners versus Sydney FC : 12,102