Live scores
Live Commentary
Essendon : 4.2 (26)
Adelaide Crows : 3.5 (23)
| Q1 - 29:00

Thompson fears AFL scandal will kill him

Mark Thompson remains bitter and twisted after the Essendon supplements debacle and fears it will eventually kill him.

Thompson was a Bombers assistant coach under James Hird at the time of the disastrous supplements program and the AFL fined him for his part in the saga.

He said he could not let the saga go, particularly how the AFL and ASADA handled their joint investigation.

The two-time Geelong premiership coach and two-time Essendon premiership player said it had cost him his second marriage.

“I know more of what happened than probably most people. I’ve read that much about what was going on – it’s incredible,” Thompson said.

“And it just sits in my guts and churns and it still does and it’s going to probably end up killing me because I can’t let it go.

“People tell me I’ve got to let it go, but I can’t.

“I’m quite bitter and twisted and I think I have got the right to be.

“I don’t like the game any more; I don’t want to work in the AFL system; I don’t want to associate with people. I’m sorry, but that’s the way it is.”

Thompson was speaking in Melbourne on Thursday morning at a drugs in sport forum, organised by the Law Institute of Victoria.

He added the full truth of the saga was yet to be revealed and said the Bombers should never have worked with banned sports scientist Stephen Dank, the architect of the doomed supplements program.

“I’ve lost my love for it (the game), which is a shame because I’m a bloody good coach,” Thompson said.

“It’s a shame they could do this to people. They’ve got no right to do this to people – you don’t not give people a chance to defend themselves, and that’s what they’ve done.

“I lost my wife because of it, I reckon, because I was up at night reading about all my exploits on the internet, catching up on tomorrow’s news as it came out.”

© AAP 2018

This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

• April 21st 2017 @ 12:26pm
      mdso said | April 21st 2017 @ 12:26pm | ! Report

And; once again, the media leave out the bits that they decide are not needed.

I have read the full interview, where Mark Thompson is asked how much the AFL should fine him, as there are a few who must take the fall, for the rest. Optics. Favours for favours. Take out, change and make up.

Why didn’t the AFL come clean about what was happening at the Gold Coast Suns? Dank and Robinson. Why were they allowed by the AFL to work at Essendon when the AFL knew about illegal supplements used “at their love child club.” How did the two men maintain their AFL credentials to work at yet another AFL club? A cover up which was closed down by the AFL. David Evans, The EFC Board of the time, Andrew Demetriou and Gillon McLaughlin, you all have a lot to answer for and a lot to answer period.

It will not be over until what really happened is revealed.

• April 21st 2017 @ 8:36pm
        northerner said | April 21st 2017 @ 8:36pm | ! Report

Not sure what any of your allegations have to do with the point at the heart of this – Essendon did employ Dank, did engage in – shall we say, very sloppy management at best, collusion at worst, and whatever other clubs might or might not have been doing doesn’t absolve the Bombers.

• April 21st 2017 @ 2:20pm
      Birdman said | April 21st 2017 @ 2:20pm | ! Report

typical Bomber…….claiming victim-hood but not being prepared to admit even a modicum of blame for his lack of judgement and action.

• April 21st 2017 @ 3:11pm
        GoSwans said | April 21st 2017 @ 3:11pm | ! Report

The comment about it still hasn’t all come out made me angry. Just come out with it then. You have nothing to lose now if you have nothing to do with the sport anymore.

• April 21st 2017 @ 2:37pm
      SmithHatesMaxwell said | April 21st 2017 @ 2:37pm | ! Report

These people are still not taking responsibility for their actions. A reflection on Australian society in general I suppose.

• April 21st 2017 @ 4:15pm
      Mikey said | April 21st 2017 @ 4:15pm | ! Report

As usual Bomber is talking in riddles. He keeps saying things like” the full truth of the saga was yet to be revealed”

Ok if he knows the full truth then why doesn’t he tell us?? He works in the media for goodness sake! He has had many many MANY opportunities to tell us the “Full Truth” but has not been able to shed any further light on what really went down.

I do agree that he was not a culpable as others and he did make some attempt to stop the programme – albeit he failed to do so.
      But his penalty ended up being a bit of a slap on the wrist – a relatively small fine – so I don’t think he personally has much to complain about.

The only “truth” that really matters is what substances were injected into the players and it appears nobody can tell us that. He appears unable to grasp how reckless and dangerous the EFC supps programme was and that is both disappointing and sad.

• April 22nd 2017 @ 10:02am
      John said | April 22nd 2017 @ 10:02am | ! Report

I don’t understand Mark Thompson he says he has falling out of love with the game but he is still happy to get played by the media to comment on the game.

If he hates it so much why doesn’t he just leave the industry and do something he does enjoy he would be loaded with enough cash to do other things. Sick of hearing him soon when he can do something about it.

• April 22nd 2017 @ 2:49pm
        SmithHatesMaxwell said | April 22nd 2017 @ 2:49pm | ! Report

Same as James Hird.

After the suicide attempt his wife was telling the media to leave him alone, let him live in peace.

As soon as he had recovered from the suicide attempt, he was out there giving the media his version of events.

Go away James Bomber and your names will never be in the news ever again.