In Harmes way: Melbourne’s muscle ends Saints’ season

Josh Elliott Editor

By Josh Elliott, Josh Elliott is a Roar Editor

 , ,

0 Have your say

    The Melbourne Demons have put themselves in the top eight with two weeks before finals, and ended any hopes the St Kilda Saints had of doing the same, with a four-goal win over the Saints at the MCG on Sunday afternoon.

    A first-quarter blast set up Melbourne’s big win, they had six goals to one in the first term and five of them before the Saints could score a major of their own.

    It was Jack Viney who got the party started, goalling off a free kick, but James Harmes who did the damage kicking three of the next four and taking a big hanger along the way.

    Josh Bruce kicked St Kilda’s lone goal of the quarter and it was a 32-point margin in favour of the home team at the first change.

    St Kilda were able to lift in the second term but not enough to wrest back the lead any, as each side booted three goals apiece for the term.

    With the margin more than five goals strong at the main break it looked like St Kilda’s season was already over, but the Saints would not go down without a fight.

    They kicked four goals to just one in the third term to bring themselves back into the game and reduce the margin to ten points at the final change.

    However, as much as the Saints put themselves back in the match in this quarter, they arguably cost themselves any chance they had of winning the whole thing with their inaccuracy.

    They kicked 4.7 across the third quarter and could have and should have been in the lead at the final change, if only they had been more accurate – the story of their season.

    Still, a quick drive to Tim Membrey and a goal from him at the start of the fourth put them within one kick and gave them a serious sniff at it.

    It wasn’t enough though – Jeff Garlett kicked his first of the day in reply, before Mitch Hannan kicked two in a minute to give Melbourne a 22-point buffer.

    Jack Sinclair put through a goal with two minutes left, his second of the day, but it wasn’t enough to save St Kilda from a season-ending defeat. Jake Melksham kicked the sealer for Melbourne in the last minute.

    Melbourne now have a clear path to their first finals campaign in a decade, finishing the round in seventh and with Brisbane and Collingwood to come in the last fortnight of the home-and-away season.

    Final score
    Melbourne Demons 13.12.90
    St Kilda Saints 10.12.72

    Josh Elliott
    Josh Elliott

    Josh Elliott may be The Roar's Weekend Editor, but at heart he's just a rusted-on North Melbourne tragic with a penchant for pun headlines - and also abnormal alliteration, assuredly; assuming achievability. He once finished third in a hot chilli pie eating contest. You can follow him on Twitter @JoshElliott_29 and listen to him on The Roar's AFL Podcast.

    Do you find yourself logged out of The Roar?
    We have just switched over to a secure site (https). This means you will need to log-in afresh. If you need help with recovering your password, please get in contact.

    This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

    Have Your Say

    If not logged in, please enter your name and email before submitting your comment. Please review our comments policy before posting on the Roar.

    , ,