Back-to-back rugby awards for NZ’s Barrett

, , ,

New Zealand playmaker Beauden Barrett has been announced as world rugby player of the year, an honour he also claimed in 2016.

The five-eighth joined All Blacks great Richie McCaw (winner in 2006, 2009 and 2010) as the only players to win rugby’s top individual honour in consecutive years.

Barrett beat teammate Rieko Ioane, Australia fullback Israel Folau and England’s Owen Farrell and Maro Itoje to the award which was presented at a glitzy end-of-year awards ceremony in Monaco.

“I’m very proud and surprised,” Barett said.

“I wanted to be better than last year and I still feel I have plenty to go so that’s very exciting.”

His win continued New Zealand’s dominance since 2012, when Dan Carter took the award. Kieran Read won in 2013 before Brodie Retallick the following year and Carter again in 2015.

All Blacks winger Ioane won breakthrough player of the year.

England’s Eddie Jones pipped All Blacks’ Steve Hansen and Irish Lions’ Warren Gatland to be named coach of the year.

The 57-year-old Tasmanian led England to Six Nations success this year, presiding over a total of nine victories.

“I feel a bit embarrassed because we’re not the No 1 team in the world.” Jones said.

“(All Blacks coach) Steve Hansen should be up here but someone has judged it another way.”

New Zealand’s women picked up the women’s player of the year, Portia Woodman, sevens player of the year, Michaela Blyde, and team of the year honours.

© AAP 2018

This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

• November 27th 2017 @ 11:16am
      Mapu said | November 27th 2017 @ 11:16am | ! Report

To right!

• November 27th 2017 @ 11:33am
      Misha said | November 27th 2017 @ 11:33am | ! Report

Brilliant player Barrett – well done!

• November 27th 2017 @ 11:36am
      Canetragic said | November 27th 2017 @ 11:36am | ! Report

Bit of a surprise to be honest.

• November 27th 2017 @ 3:51pm
        Cuw said | November 27th 2017 @ 3:51pm | ! Report

he was too .

“I’m very proud and surprised,” said Barrett. “I wanted to be better than last year and I still think I have plenty more to go. The Lions series put us under the most pressure I have probably felt in a black jersey and that’s a credit to the Lions. We learnt a lot from that series, particularly taking that into the World Cup. When I hang the boots up, that’s when I can look back and be really proud of this. I’ve got to thank my team. I am just one player amongst a great team.”

Eddie jones :

” It’s great for the team. It’s a reflection of our team, the great players and the staff. The only reason I took the job was because I thought they had very good players. There was just something a little bit missing and the players have been able to find that. We’re halfway through the project so we’ve still got a couple of good years to go.”

• November 27th 2017 @ 11:40am
      Nroko said | November 27th 2017 @ 11:40am | ! Report

Good on you BB. But i didn’t think he was the best player in the planet this year.
      His goal kicking contributed to us not winning the lions series this year. His best rugby has come when he is moved to FB and broken play. From 1st five the AB attack has not functioned well enough.

For me, if a player is best in the world then he should be best in his position. I am not sure if thats the case this year for BB at 1st5. However world rugby probably has a different perspective whereby irrespective of the players position he is MVP – its hard to leave out BB from the team.

• November 27th 2017 @ 12:01pm
      Dubaikiwi said | November 27th 2017 @ 12:01pm | ! Report

Best player in the world 2016, yes BB was. Best player in the world 2017, no way, well below par performances this year, struggled with the rush defence.

• November 27th 2017 @ 1:16pm
      Jp said | November 27th 2017 @ 1:16pm | ! Report

Iione was the best player of the year,I know he can’t win both but why not?

, , ,