Cherry-Evans on Origin: I want Cronk’s No.7 jersey

By AAP,

, , ,

As Daly Cherry-Evans gets set to renew his club rivalry with Cooper Cronk, he’s already dreaming of inheriting his Queensland Origin No.7 jersey.

Manly halfback Cherry-Evans’ head-to-head battle with Cronk shapes as a mouth-watering subplot to Saturday’s trial against the Sydney Roosters at Gosford on the NSW central coast.

Not only will Cronk be turning out for his side for the first time, Cherry-Evans will have a chance out-point the man he hopes to succeed as the Maroons and Kangaroos playmaker.

While a ball has yet to be kicked in anger this NRL season, and Origin is still four months away, Cherry-Evans is making his representative ambitions known after being controversially overlooked in 2017.

“I want to play for Queensland again,” Cherry-Evans said.

“Hopefully I can improve on my season last year, I felt like last year was a great step towards trying to gain a spot in that side.

“If I can improve again on last season, I’m definitely putting myself in contention.

“I’m still super ambitious to get back there.”

With Cronk and Johnathan Thurston both retiring from representative football, there’s a vacuum in the Maroons’ halves – one which Cherry-Evans wants to fill.

The Sea Eagles 2011 premiership winner was snubbed by coach Kevin Walters for last year’s series decider, instead picking Melbourne’s Cameron Munster at five-eighth and Ben Hunt to fill the bench utility spot.

Munster and North Queensland’s Michael Morgan seem to have the inside running for the 2018 series, however Cherry-Evans isn’t giving up without a fight.

Asked if he revelled in facing off against Cronk, Cherry-Evans said: “I definitely indulge in those thoughts during the season. But not for a trial.”

© AAP 2018
    Rebuild announcement

• February 20th 2018 @ 6:48am
      BA Sports said | February 20th 2018 @ 6:48am | ! Report

Walters selects by Committee and that Committee involves key players. Two of his committee are gone now, so he has to be a chance. I guess we find out if the remaining committee members were the ones who were voting him out.

• February 20th 2018 @ 7:44am
        Peter Phelps said | February 20th 2018 @ 7:44am | ! Report

You don’t get voted “out” you get voted “in”.

They weren’t against cherry just in favour of someone else.

February 20th 2018 @ 8:36am
      The Barry said | February 20th 2018 @ 8:36am | ! Report

I have him in the lead to get the 7 jersey

By a neck…

February 20th 2018 @ 8:48am
        Nat said | February 20th 2018 @ 8:48am | ! Report

Barring injury, I’m not sure. His best chance was G3 last year and they went with Munster/Hunt as well as Morgan/Milford from G1. If his form is irresistible – maybe.

• February 20th 2018 @ 1:20pm
        KenW said | February 20th 2018 @ 1:20pm | ! Report

But what a neck

• February 20th 2018 @ 2:11pm
        Peter Phelps said | February 20th 2018 @ 2:11pm | ! Report

The problem that Cherry has is that he has been given an Orign chance and been found wanting. He will have to overcome that reputation if he is win his place back. With a Manly outfit around him that is likely to struggle at times, I am not sure he will be convincing enough. I suspect Morgan may well get a go for round one, much will hinge on how that goes.

• February 20th 2018 @ 3:10pm
        jimmmy said | February 20th 2018 @ 3:10pm | ! Report

If his form is good , I would pair him with Morgs or Munster and have the other one on the bench. Morgs and Munster is not a combination I like. They are too similar. Milford is not Origin standard, Hunt is an able back up for injuries etc. but I really doubt he is top class..
        In two years I reckon it will be Croft. He has the gift.

February 21st 2018 @ 1:26pm
          Bunney said | February 21st 2018 @ 1:26pm | ! Report

Munster should take over the #14 from Morgan IMO.
          What a great utility he makes.

DCE & Morgan in the halves at this stage, but let’s not forget Corey Norman, and to a lesser extent Milford and Ash Taylor

• February 20th 2018 @ 9:05am
      Fraser said | February 20th 2018 @ 9:05am | ! Report

I think DCE is competing against Ben Hunt for the utility spot. Cherry did a great job doing that in the past for QLD, though he’s probably not as versatile as Hunt.

The problem with DCE as a starting playmaker is that QLD need to change their game to suit him, rather than him slotting straight into QLD’s existing flat, expansive and fast style of footy.

• February 20th 2018 @ 12:13pm
        Albo said | February 20th 2018 @ 12:13pm | ! Report

Plus he has a bigger problem for QLD selectors, he doesn’t drink !

February 20th 2018 @ 9:22am
      Emcie said | February 20th 2018 @ 9:22am | ! Report

It’s way to early for this. Let’s actually get to see how players go before we start picking teams

• February 20th 2018 @ 9:39am
      Big Daddy said | February 20th 2018 @ 9:39am | ! Report

The closest he will get to the Qld no 7 Jersey is
      If he ducks down to Peter Wynn s and buys one.

February 20th 2018 @ 3:49pm
      Joe said | February 20th 2018 @ 3:49pm | ! Report

Morgan and DCE I think should be the QLD halves this year but DCE will really have to play a heck of a half season as both Milf and Munster were picked ahead of him last year. I truly think he is capable. I get that he was given a chance and didn’t perform but I think he is a class player and class always come through in the end. Could be like Hodges who had a horror start to his Origin career but became one of the greats.