Fans get their wish with A-League to pause for international breaks next season

The Roar Roar Guru

By The Roar,

Tagged:
 , , ,

30 Have your say

    In an effort to keep the best players in the A-League on the pitch for the entire season, the FFA has decided to pause the A-League during international windows next season.

    In years prior, there were times when Socceroos matches (and other internationals) would interfere with squad selection for A-League games. Given the competition struggles at times to get support, this settlement will hopefully lead to more views and consistently exciting play from Australia’s premier league.

    In a statement on Tuesday afternoon announcing the news, the FFA revealed the season will start on October 19th, 2018, a bit later than normal, to avoid the international window earlier in the month.

    There will be two other pauses in the league from November 12th-20th and March 18th-26th. Due to the pushback of the entire schedule, the grand final will take place during the weekend of May 18.

    In addition to the A-League, executives have been exploring a possible break for the W-League and its correlation with Matildas’ play.

    The same thought process applies, as fans and teams alike are trying to keep their most prized performers on the pitch for the whole season.

    “Given there are also two FIFA windows for women inside the W-League this coming season, we are also looking at the Matildas program and possible ways this could apply to the W-League calendar,” A-League boss Greg O’Rourke said.

    FFA chief executive David Gallop praised Fox Sports for agreeing to the breaks in the season.

    “With our broadcasters and commercial partners we have been conscious always of the need to balance the benefits of week to week continuity in the league against the benefits of stopping for international breaks,” Gallop said.

    “After extensive discussions with the clubs and with Fox Sports over recent weeks we have all agreed to incorporate the international breaks.”

    Further details will be released pertaining to both the A-League and W-League in the future.

    Have Your Say



    If not logged in, please enter your name and email before submitting your comment. Please review our comments policy before posting on the Roar.

    Oldest | Newest | Most Recent

    The Crowd Says (30)

    • April 25th 2018 @ 2:31pm
      jimakos said | April 25th 2018 @ 2:31pm | ! Report

      fkn finally..now time to rid the ffa
      nxt steps abolish the caps introduce new teams south melb, wollongong for starters and yob off gallop/lowy we need a new start league is dying, pushing more ppl to gayfl and cricket pfft is that even a sport??..
      still confused about allianz hell the nrl and aleague combined cant even fill it so why arnt they reducing it to 35k atleast im lost…

    • Roar Rookie

      April 25th 2018 @ 9:19pm
      Waz said | April 25th 2018 @ 9:19pm | ! Report

      More evidence the FFA is listening, albeit after the event. Ticket prices reduced for the Semi-Finals and GF after last weekend’s poor crowds:

      http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-drops-ticket-prices-for-finals-in-response-to-poor-crowds-20180425-p4zbn9

    Explore:
    , , ,