Anyone can contribute to The Roar and have their work featured alongside some of Australia’s most prominent sports journalists.
The GWS Giants will return to Spotless Stadium for the first time and they’ll be hungry for redemption after a draw with St Kilda, as they prepare to face the Brisbane Lions.
Leon Cameron’s Ferrari backfired as the Giants spoiled multiple chances to seal the game in the final term.
The Lions, meanwhile, made a late charge, but fell short of shocking the suns at the Gabba last week. While their comeback was positive, they haven’t won this season.
Gun forwards Jonathon Patton, Jeremy Cameron and Toby Greene along with Midfielders Stephen Congilio and Callan Ward loom as headaches for the limping Lions. Charlie Cameron is the only danger for the giants due to his speed and goal kicking sense.
So will the Lions channel their inner David and beat Goliath? Or will Leon’s Ferrari go to a new level?
When: Saturday, April 28, 4:35pm (AEST)
Venue: Spotless Stadium, Homebush
TV: Live, Fox Footy, 7Mate (NSW, QLD)
Three keys to the game
1. The two clash for the seventh time with the Giants leading 4-2 and winning the last four. Jeremy Cameron was the difference combining with Greene and Patton to kick 12 goals that day.
2. Having won seven of the last nine games in 2017, the Giants have made Spotless Stadium a fortress. This is a weakness for the Lions as they’re ranked 17th averaging 71 points a game and haven’t kicked 100 since late 2017 whereas the Giants average 94 points a game this season.
3. No team takes the ball inside 50 less than the Lions. They’re the only team averaging 48.6 a game compared to GWS who averaged 54.8 a game.
Fun Footy Facts
1. Dayne Zorko was held to five possessions by Sam Reid last year they clashed in Round 14.
2. AFL Fantasy wise: who will be better here? Stephen Coniglio (610 points at a rate of 122 a game) or Brisbane’s Stefan Martin (539 points at a rate of 108 a game). Be careful with Martin since Oscar McInerney is on debut which could see Martin’s numbers drop.
It’s crunch time for
Dayne Zorko. After being blanketed in the Q clash, the star on baller will want to rebound after his dismal start to the season.
GWS Giants by 47 points.