Friday night footy. Your last chance to see JT v Cam Smith

Jason Andrews Roar Pro

By Jason Andrews, Jason Andrews is a Roar Pro

, , ,

This Friday, the North Queensland Cowboys host the Melbourne Storm in Townsville.

Put May 25th, 2018 in your history books folks, as it could well be the last time you ever get to see Johnathan Thurston and Cameron Smith play on the same footy field together ever.

With the Cowboys record of 3-8 and needing a near miracle to make the finals, this could very well be the last time you see the two greatest players of this generation take each other on. Thurston and Smith have been great mates over the years and are great rivals on the field, in fact they remind me of other great mates pairing in rivalry.

Combined the pair have had careers that we can only dream of. Collectively the pair have played 678 NRL games, won six premierships, one Clive Churchill Medal, earned six Dally M Medals, five golden boots, scored 130 tries, kicked 1926 goals, plotted 19 field goals for a total of 4391 points. To add to this there has been a well over decade debate about who is the better player, but I’ll let you decide.

Friday night’s game should be an epic encounter as both Smith and Thurston and their respective clubs will be looking to bounce back from their horror week in Round 11. The Cowboys just let slip what would of been a tight victory over the Bunnies that could have kept their season from being over. The Storm would want to regain a little self respect with the worse performance the club has produced since the 2008 grand final against Manly last week.

I’ll be there to enjoy what should be a game that I look forward to telling my grandchildren about some day. I encourage all North Queensland available residents to pack out the ground with the rest of the NRL fans to watch the game.

As I will be too focused on enjoying the historic match to care who wins, I will say that I think the Storm – with a full strength team and the poor form of the Cowboys – should get away with it in a tight one. Best we enjoy this one,it well could be the last.

New South Wales have won the 2018 State of Origin series with an 18-14 win in an absolutely outstanding Game 2 at ANZ Stadium. See how the action unfolded with our NSW vs QLD Origin 2 scores, highlights and blog.

May 24th 2018 @ 6:40am
      The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 6:40am | ! Report

Are you a Cowboys fan Jase…?

May 24th 2018 @ 8:15am
        Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 8:15am | ! Report

No, not really no

May 24th 2018 @ 8:26am
          The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 8:26am | ! Report

Not really?

Does that mean you support them a bit…?

Who do you follow?

May 24th 2018 @ 8:34am
            Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 8:34am | ! Report

what does it matter whom I support or don’t support, what business of that is yours?

• May 24th 2018 @ 9:14am
              Jordan said | May 24th 2018 @ 9:14am | ! Report

You’re writing an article on a sports forum and can’t even share which team you support? You need to calm down friend and jump off the high horse gee wiz.

May 24th 2018 @ 9:34am
              The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 9:34am | ! Report

What Jordan said…

You’re going to be in Townsville attending a Cowboys game but you’re not a Cowboys fan and don’t care if the Storm win either.

It’s curious.

Why are you so precious about sharing who you support princess…?

May 24th 2018 @ 9:52am
                Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 9:52am | ! Report

Because I believe that the team I support is irrelative to the articles that I write. Plus I don’t want to seem that I am bias to any particular team. I’m inclined to enjoy the game rather than poor my heart and soul into one particular team. I would just rather enjoy a game of footy.

May 24th 2018 @ 10:14am
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 10:14am | ! Report

But just denying what team you support doesn’t alter any inherent biases you may have.

Being transparent about it actually assists people in understanding your bias.

It’s great if you enjoy footy as a whole (say that quickly!) but you still haven’t stayed that you don’t actually follow a team.

Don’t worry mate no ones expecting you to be the great impartial football writer of your time.

May 24th 2018 @ 9:57am
                BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 9:57am | ! Report

Why does he have to tell you whom he supports?? Your being nosy again Barry, what difference does it makes who he supports???

May 24th 2018 @ 10:21am
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 10:21am | ! Report

You really are a chowder head BigJina

I’m not saying he can’t do anything.

He can support everyone or no one, go to every game or no game.

It’s just curious.

He’s going to be at the game in Townsville so he either lives there but doesn’t follow the Cowboys which is fine but interesting OR

he’s travelling to Townsville for a game where he doesn’t support either team. Which is also fine and also interesting.

I know being curious and being interested isn’t really your cup of tea.

You did, by your own admission, spend the 90s doing nothing but playing PlayStation and waiting for the decade to end. Brilliant.

But surely you can appreciate there’s things in the world that other people – who haven’t turned their brains to moosh – are curious about.

May 24th 2018 @ 10:53am
                BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 10:53am | ! Report

No Barry your not curious you just want to pry information out of him so that you can use it to discredit him at every opportunity. If he says no team than how can he follow footy? If he says more than one his is a disloyal grub and if he saids his team I’m sure you’ll use that to discredit anything article written about that team and discredit any article not about that team that’s just want you do Barry

May 24th 2018 @ 10:05am
                BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 10:05am | ! Report

So you’ve got to support one team that is playing to go to a game?? Is that what your saying Barry, seriously?? So based on that logic you would of never of gone to any grand final that didn’t feature the Bulldogs??

May 24th 2018 @ 10:07am
                Matthew Pearce said | May 24th 2018 @ 10:07am | ! Report

A) Who cares? He just asked what team you supported because he was curious about you being live at a game you apparently have no real investment in.

B) Except everyone’s biased, so it doesn’t matter whether you “seem” to be or not, you still are. Your articles/opinions will still be based on their own merits, irrespective of how biased you “appear” to be.

C) That’s a really weird statement. How do you enjoy sport without the emotional investment? The emotional side is what makes sport rewarding. Supporting a team doesn’t make you incapable of “just enjoying a game” either. I can still sit down and “just enjoy” any match that doesn’t involve the Broncs.

Being so defensive about all this made zero sense; there’s still no real reason to go to all this effort to hide who you support.

May 24th 2018 @ 10:45am
                BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 10:45am | ! Report

I believe that the author saids he wants to go to watch the game as it possibly could be the last time that the two best players of gen y play together in the same game. As far as I’m concerned that’s emotional investment.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:26pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:26pm | ! Report

“pry information out of him”

By asking “who do you follow?” Must be all those years of training as a CIA operative that’s lead me to master such cutting edge interrogation techniques.

You’ve seen too many Bourne movies BJA…

I have no need to discredit either of you…you do it to yourselves.

Maybe Jase the Ace supports six teams…?

May 24th 2018 @ 12:31pm
                BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:31pm | ! Report

What’s a Bourne movie???

May 24th 2018 @ 12:56pm
                BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:56pm | ! Report

funny Barry you can dish and the why’s and what’s but you can’t answer them can you?? I knew you were never that smart

May 24th 2018 @ 2:11pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:11pm | ! Report

Ok, you want me to explain to you what s Bourne movie is…?

Let’s start…do you know what a movie is?

Never mind, we’ll come back to that..

The Bourne movies were based on a series of books by Robert Lud…

Ok. A book is a written or printed collection of…

May 24th 2018 @ 2:46pm
                BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:46pm | ! Report

I ve had 79 articles published on the roar Barry,more than three times what you have. I know how to read and write and I know what a book is

May 24th 2018 @ 3:43pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 3:43pm | ! Report

It’s so good. Sooooo good.

“I know how to write” comes immediately after:

“more than three times what you have”

It’s beautiful. It’s delicious. You’re killing J.

“I know what a book is” now you’re just showing off.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:50pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:50pm | ! Report

I can’t go down that rabbit hole…

Like a 6 year old the “whys” and “whats” just won’t stop

June 8th 2018 @ 10:02pm
        Jason Andrews said | June 8th 2018 @ 10:02pm | ! Report

should of known not to answer anything you said

May 24th 2018 @ 7:39am
      BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 7:39am | ! Report

This should be a great game, hopefully the testimonial match in Feb was a tight one that the Cowboys just got away with, I’ll be there supporting the Storm ( just the Storm not both). As I have never seen a Storm v Cowboys game live it will be the first and possibly last time I get to see Smith v Jt

May 24th 2018 @ 8:32am
        The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 8:32am | ! Report

That’s the beauty of calling yourself a supporter of six teams…you can flick the ones that are struggling.

Not really support though is it.

Glory glory to SouthStormCowboyBroncoTitanWarrior

May 24th 2018 @ 8:39am
          BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 8:39am | ! Report

Ha ha that last line actually made me laugh well done.

According to you the Cowboys aren’t struggling they are still in the top five for attack line breaks and such, so what makes you think that they are struggling. Oh that’s right when they don’t win, right! Congratulations Barry you figured it out. Well done

May 24th 2018 @ 12:20pm
            The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:20pm | ! Report

I’m glad you enjoyed it. Who read it to you?

What is the rest of that about?

“According to you the Cowboys aren’t struggling they are still in the top five for attack line breaks and such”

I’ve literally never written that.

The rest of it is you creating an argument to have with yourself. It’s incomprehensible.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:33pm
              BigJ said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:33pm | ! Report

That was just garbage I decided to write for the hell of it, you know like you do all the time.

May 24th 2018 @ 10:58am
      The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 10:58am | ! Report

“Put May 25th, 2018 in your history books folks”

Who is writing their own entries into history books?

May 24th 2018 @ 11:05am
      The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 11:05am | ! Report

“Thurston and Smith have been great mates over the years and are great rivals on the field, in fact they remind me of other great mates pairing in rivalry”

We never found out who they reminded of. You made no further reference to that comment. Brilliant!

Are you going to tell us or is that a secret too…?

It’s a hell of a sentence. You used “great” three times, “rival” twice and “mate” twice. Thesaurus for xmas…

May 24th 2018 @ 12:04pm
        Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:04pm | ! Report

Actually Barry, I’m glad you brought that up because I did write a passage in reference to the two the other mates I was talking about. This is it.

Former WWE Superstars Shawn Michaels and Kevin Nash (Diesel) were two of the biggest stars at the time in the then WWF back in 1996. They have a PPV match up for the WWF championship in April of 1996, due to their known friendship both on and off camera the event was billed WWF in your House “Best friends and better enemies”. Pro Wrestling I know but I think that analogy sums up Thurston and Smith perfectly, great mates off the field and fierce competitors on it”

I don’t know why the editing team let this passage out of the article? Maybe they decided that is was not in significance to the rest of the article.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:12pm
          The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:12pm | ! Report

Aaah, ok, that sounds zzzzzzzzzzzz

May 24th 2018 @ 12:28pm
            Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:28pm | ! Report

Of course you would say that Barry, I would expect you to appreciate pro wrestling, if you can think of a better analogy, without mentioning Sterling and Mortimer like Duncan just said then please knock your self out. Actually here is a challenge, why don’t you just rewrite the whole article, since you think your so much better than me, go on Barry, do it, REWRITE THE ARTICLE!!!!!!!!

May 24th 2018 @ 12:54pm
              The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:54pm | ! Report

It’s “you’re so much better than me”

No, you’ve got me. There is no better comparison of JT and Smith’s relationship than HBK and Kevin Nash.

Actually, what about Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso…?

Rocky and Apollo…?

Rocky and Bullwinkle…?

May 24th 2018 @ 1:08pm
                Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 1:08pm | ! Report

I’m going to ask why are you so interested in who I support? It’s curious to think that my supporting of whomever is so important to you. What are you trying to achieve? If you don’t answer I’ll respect it but please know that I’m not going to tell you who I support regardless. I’m just curious as to why its such a big deal to you??

May 24th 2018 @ 1:38pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 1:38pm | ! Report

It’s not a big deal to me.

I just asked who you followed because i thought it was interesting that you would be in Townsville for a game but don’t really follow the Cowboys.

You’ve made it a big deal with your “none of your business” “I’m not telling” childish BS.

Tell me, don’t tell me. I don’t care.

I’ll probably have more fun not knowing and stringing you along about it because you over react…

May 24th 2018 @ 1:09pm
                Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 1:09pm | ! Report

Lawrence and LaRusso were never mates, Rocky and Bullwinkle were never enemies, try again

May 24th 2018 @ 1:34pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 1:34pm | ! Report

Daniel and Johnny never mates…?

What about “you’re alright LaRusso” at the end? Heresy.

You’ve obviously never seen the episode where Bullwinkle was brainwashed…?

Check it out you’ll like what you understand about it.

May 24th 2018 @ 2:10pm
                Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:10pm | ! Report

Barry, Johnny saying “You’re alright LaRusso” is a respectful gesture to an opponent, not an offer to be BFF, anyway besides the three seconds that he was in the sequel, was Johnny ever seen or mentioned again??? I think not. Here is an interesting one for you. Redtube is screening a new series of the Karate Kid with Danny and Johnny, Danny owns his own car dealership, while Johnny appears to be a burnt out drunk. After beating up some teens trying to rob him or something he reforms Cobra Kai Karate and the rivalry starts again, and guess what they are still not friends. Check out it you may enjoy it.

May 24th 2018 @ 2:15pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:15pm | ! Report

Redtube…????

Hahahahaha…I think you’ve got your websites mixed up there champ…

You’re more likely to see the bukake kid than the karate kid on red tube…

Dear me, what an out and out, grade a, prize battler you are…

Thanks for the review though…

May 24th 2018 @ 2:12pm
                Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:12pm | ! Report

you think you’re the one stringing me along, ahahahahahahha haha!!! so why do you keep asking questions??? And no I’m still not telling you, so build a bridge and get over it.

May 24th 2018 @ 2:17pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:17pm | ! Report

Seen any good movies on redtube lately…?

May 24th 2018 @ 2:18pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:18pm | ! Report

Listen to yourself..

“I’m not telling”

“None of your business”

“Build a bridge”

You sound like a 12 year old girl…

May 24th 2018 @ 2:26pm
                Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:26pm | ! Report

Sorry That’s You Red or Red You its some sub division of youtube, what’s Redtube?? Acutally don’t bother I don’t want to know.

Barry, I don’t wish to disclose my allegiances to any NRL on this site, can’t you just respect that and move on???

• May 24th 2018 @ 2:41pm
                3 recalcitrant monkeys said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:41pm | ! Report

Red tube will pop up in your search engine if you type “big bopper smashes hooker from behind” just tried it

May 24th 2018 @ 2:44pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:44pm | ! Report

Hahaha…

• May 24th 2018 @ 3:13pm
                3 recalcitrant monkeys said | May 24th 2018 @ 3:13pm | ! Report

2 on 1 tackle hooker also seems to work!

May 24th 2018 @ 3:21pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 3:21pm | ! Report

Crackdown on play the ball…

May 24th 2018 @ 3:17pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 3:17pm | ! Report

Don’t try Curtis punches Manly Dylan…

• May 24th 2018 @ 3:28pm
                3 recalcitrant monkeys said | May 24th 2018 @ 3:28pm | ! Report

Your in good form today TB

May 24th 2018 @ 3:19pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 3:19pm | ! Report

Big Sam guilty of head shot…ewww

May 24th 2018 @ 2:47pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:47pm | ! Report

It’s ok Ace. We know you’re the secretive type but you’ve let the redtube cat out of the bag.

That’s fine – we’re not a judgemental group.

You tell us any time you watch something on redtube you think is worth sharing.

May 24th 2018 @ 2:53pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:53pm | ! Report

I haven’t mentioned it Ace, you keep bringing it up.

I’m more interested in getting to the bottom of your Redtube addiction…it’s always the quiet ones…

May 28th 2018 @ 1:17pm
                Jason Andrews said | May 28th 2018 @ 1:17pm | ! Report

Why do you let this mor0n on the site? All he does is belittle people with his insane rants and baseless allegations. And yet everyone of my comments is placed under the microscope while this idi0t has free run to say whatever the hell he wants, does he worked for the site or something???? Cause you don’t seem to be doing much about his behaviour. Actually I’m quite embarrassed that this clown and the other idiot bicker like children on one of my articles, this is not my intention. I just want to write articles and have decent conversations with real adults not arguments over things that are not even in the article.

May 24th 2018 @ 11:24am
      Matt H said | May 24th 2018 @ 11:24am | ! Report

Geez boys, it’s a tough room this morning. Rather than picking the article apart you might want to add to your thoughts on JT and Smith’s last game against each other.

For the record I believe JT’s will to win is unmatched, but that smith is ever so slightly the more reliable, because he is always two steps ahead and does not let his passion influence his play, ever.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:08pm
        Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:08pm | ! Report

thanks Matt. All I wanted to do was write an article about possibly that last chance you will have to witness JT and Smith in action together, no more no less. Not to be questioned about whom I support and why its such a big deal that I choose to keep that information to myself.

Now that I actually have somebody to talk to about the game and not side track everything into a pointless debate, how to do think the game will go and will you be watching?/

May 24th 2018 @ 12:30pm
          Matthew Pearce said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:30pm | ! Report

I’m looking forward to watching JT and Cam play together one last time. It’s a shame the Cowboys have been so poor; should still be a good personal duel since JT has still been pretty good this year.

Though, seriously mate, I still don’t understand the actual significance behind you going to all this effort to hide which team you support. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if you just politely said “I’d prefer not to say,” rather than bristling with a passive-aggressive “none of your business!” It only became a issue because you made it so.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:44pm
            Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:44pm | ! Report

Ok then I’d prefer not to disclose to any of you whom I support, happy? I don’t understand why its gone this far, when someone says “none of your business” you should respect that and move on from the topic. And I didn’t say none of your business I said what business of that is yours? So in a way I brought it on myself, but still why can’t say none of your business and it be left at that.

But anyway, I’m really looking forward to seeing these two in action again, I saw them play a couple of years ago in Melbourne and it was fantastic to watch them play, think it was 2015 maybe.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:57pm
              The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:57pm | ! Report

The plot thickens…

So, this week you’re watching Cowboys vs Storm in Townsville but you’re not really a Cowboys fan.

But in 2015 you were in Melbourne watching Storm vs Cowboys. Are you a Storm fan?

June 8th 2018 @ 10:07pm
                Jason Andrews said | June 8th 2018 @ 10:07pm | ! Report

the only thing thickening Barry, is all that shit that you talk

May 24th 2018 @ 1:01pm
              Matthew Pearce said | May 24th 2018 @ 1:01pm | ! Report

… because it’s kind of unusual in a sports setting to see someone so stubbornly adamant on refusing to disclose who they support? It is such a non-issue; what team you support changes absolutely nothing. There’s no real reason to be so secretive about it, it’s a simple “I support X” statement.

Plus, I’ll admit it was pretty amusing to watch someone get in such a twist over such a simple question.

May 24th 2018 @ 2:13pm
                Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:13pm | ! Report

its Barry its never a simple question.

May 24th 2018 @ 2:19pm
                The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 2:19pm | ! Report

It’s very simple…you’re the one complicating it.

• May 24th 2018 @ 12:18pm
      Duncan Smith said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:18pm | ! Report

Reminds me of when Sterling went up against Mortimer for the last time.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:24pm
        Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:24pm | ! Report

thank you, that’s the point of the article, thanks for reading Duncan.

May 24th 2018 @ 12:26pm
          The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:26pm | ! Report

Reminds me of when Abbott met Costello…

May 24th 2018 @ 12:49pm
          Jason Andrews said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:49pm | ! Report

When was that again Duncan it might be worth a look? late 80’s early 90’s

May 24th 2018 @ 12:58pm
            The Barry said | May 24th 2018 @ 12:58pm | ! Report

Mortimer retired in 1988…the grand final was his last game.

I’m a Bulldogs supporter.

, , ,