Todd Greenberg a non-starter in race for CA top job

By Steve Zemek, Steve Zemek is a Roar Guru

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has ruled out taking over from outgoing Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland, declaring he has unfinished business in rugby league.

Greenberg has been linked to the CA post after Sutherland’s decision to stand down next year following 17-years in charge.

Sutherland’s deputy Kevin Roberts, Greenberg and Football Federation Australia CEO David Gallop have been mentioned as possible replacements.

Speaking in Russia on Monday, FFA chairman Steven Lowy said he was “100 per cent confident” Greenberg would be staying put.

Greenberg, a former first-grade opening batsman for Sydney club Randwick-Petersham, envisioned he had several years left in the NRL and wanted to see the job through.

“I’ve got a lot of work still to do here and I’ve made some commitments to the gentleman sitting on my left (ARL commission chairman Peter Beattie) and commitments to the commission,” Greenberg said.

“So I’ll be here to see what I started, I want to finish it.”

The NRL is into the first season of a $1.8 billion five-year TV deal and Greenberg said he wanted to make sure the game was on a strong financial footing before thinking about moving on.

“I haven’t put a timeframe on it,” Greenberg said.

“But there’s a lot of work still to do.

“We’ve only just started our new broadcast deal. I want to make sure we set the game up for a long-term healthy future. That’s going to take a number of years to do that.”

© AAP 2018
    Rebuild announcement

• June 13th 2018 @ 7:54am
      Paul said | June 13th 2018 @ 7:54am | ! Report

CA needs someone who can stand up to Peever, re-build relationships with the players after last years pay fight, manage the balance of all forms of cricket moving forward and make sure cricket internationally is going to benefit all teams, not just a select few. I can’t see Greenburg being capable of taking on that type of role as he doesn’t have the right skillset.

• June 13th 2018 @ 3:17pm
        Matt Davies said | June 13th 2018 @ 3:17pm | ! Report

Agree with you Paul on the requirements for the candidate for the job. However, I do not know if any of the candidates being tipped for the job meet the criteria. Kevin Roberts I think has an even more fraught relationship with the players

June 13th 2018 @ 2:34pm
      Cadfael said | June 13th 2018 @ 2:34pm | ! Report

Sutherland and Howard were bad enough. We don’t need Greenberg.

June 13th 2018 @ 5:20pm
      Matt H said | June 13th 2018 @ 5:20pm | ! Report

I would have thought it’s pretty much locked in that Roberts, the anointed one, will get the job. So it will business as usual at CA.