The AFL needs to stop treating Swans supporters like vampires

keith hurst Roar Rookie

By keith hurst, keith hurst is a Roar Rookie New author!

I have supported the Swans since they came to Sydney as a result of the relocation of the South Melbourne Football Club. A ‘bloods transfusion’ if you will.

The AFL decided that they needed a Sydney team to strengthen their nationwide image – as well as to get better value for their TV coverage.

As an SCG member I liked the idea of somewhere to spend my winter weekend afternoons, and embraced the idea enthusiastically.

At first, it was a hard road.

The Swans lost far more than they won, and I had to endure the victory songs of all of the old-establishment Melbourne clubs over and over again.

But gradually, after a long procession of losing coaches, Sydney started to win – even making a grand final, against North Melbourne (if only Paul Kelly had hit that pass to Tony Locket).

In 2005, Leo Barry ensured we had a flag and since then, it has been mainly up there Cazaly – great family afternoons among the red and white, with a fun atmosphere, where there was hardly any aggro.

They were so successful that the AFL decided to award them most of their games at night, which was great for ratings, but not good for the young kids and lovers of afternoon football.

The only true afternoon game is against the Suns, on Saturday – all other games are at night.

And only vampires go out at night, not even a ‘Bloods’ sucker.

Rebuild announcement

• July 19th 2018 @ 7:20am
      pioneer said | July 19th 2018 @ 7:20am | ! Report

As a Swans member I have noticed this too this year – I would much prefer ‘traditional’ arvo games (I have missed plenty of night games this year; games on Thursday night in Sydney – really?), but then I suspect most AFL fans probably feel the same about their clubs. I suppose we should see the proliferation of night games as ‘reward’ for how well the Swans have been doing – although I had thought the price of success was the removal of COLA and keeping us out of the draft for a year.

• July 19th 2018 @ 7:39am
      Roger of Sydney said | July 19th 2018 @ 7:39am | ! Report

Well said,

I am so excited about this Saturday , doing lunch first and then on the Fat Yaks in the members, and home by 6.00pm .

Now that is a good day out, perhaps made better by being a collingwood game or the likes

• July 19th 2018 @ 7:57am
      sydneygirl said | July 19th 2018 @ 7:57am | ! Report

Heartily agree. And here’s another Sydney supporter who would like afternoon games instead of evenings.

• July 19th 2018 @ 8:19am
      RichieTiger said | July 19th 2018 @ 8:19am | ! Report

In the early days Sydney played on Sunday afternoons. If they did something similar for GWS and Gold Coast it might help establish a regular supporter base.

• July 19th 2018 @ 8:28am
      Tim said | July 19th 2018 @ 8:28am | ! Report

can’t take my 7 year old to a night game. He falls asleep at half time. Stuff the chase for ratings give the fans who go to the games some variety.

• July 19th 2018 @ 8:46am
      GoSwans said | July 19th 2018 @ 8:46am | ! Report

Last year I thought it was compensation for the umpiring stealing the flag. It was a ratings success so they’ve doubled up this year. Good for the sponsors.