The NRL has announced it will not register Anthony Milford’s contract with South Sydney until the completion of criminal proceedings against the playmaker.
Michael Maguire is reportedly being lined up to take over from Wayne Bennett as Brisbane coach when his NRL contract expires at the end of next year.
News Corp reports Maguire has discussed a three-year deal worth $2.4 million with the Broncos, while Bennett has been formally offered a “front office position” at the club.
Following Thursday’s 38-18 defeat of South Sydney, Bennett confirmed he was keen to coach beyond 2019 but that any new role at the club was news to him.
“That’s what I love about our club right now; you can tell me things I haven’t even heard about,” the Brisbane coach said.
“You’re better informed than I am.”
Maguire is the latest name to be linked to the Broncos following previous suggestions Paul Green and Anthony Seibold were being targeted, while Craig Bellamy turned down an offer from the club to stay put in Melbourne.
Seibold used his post-game press conference to insist he wasn’t going anywhere.
“It’s been a circus this week in regards to speculation around my coaching career and individually I’m really disappointed,” he said.
“I’ve been really open with the media but some of the things being said in the media are just not true.
“I’m contracted to the Rabbitohs for the next 15 months.”
Broncos management is said to be keen on signing a coach with a premiership to their name to replace Bennett, who has been at the helm for all six of the club’s NRL titles.
Maguire, who took over as New Zealand coach earlier this year and guided South Sydney to grand final glory in 2014, fits the bill.
Brisbane’s win, their seventh straight against the Rabbitohs, ensured they will remain in the NRL’s top eight with two rounds remaining.