The Roar
The Roar


Wallabies frustration continues with loss to Wales

Autoplay in... 6 (Cancel)
Up Next No more videos! Playlist is empty -
10th November, 2018
9032 Reads

The Wallabies have fallen to Wales in their opening Spring Tour match by three points after a scrappy affair in Cardiff.

Neither team were anywhere near their best, with only five penalty goals across the 80 minutes.

Heading into the match, Australia had won 13 straight matches against Wales, but they were unable to convert on opportunities in Cardiff and the streak is now over as the Wallabies slumped to yet another loss, continuing a dismal 2018 campaign.

Following the Bledisloe Cup, Rugby Championship and poor June International window, this Spring Tour was a beacon of hope, but instead of hitting the ground running in Europe, they have hit the ground dropping the ball, failing to put points on the board and ultimately, losing a close, yet unappealing affair.

The teams traded penalty goals throughout the course of the contest, but in the end, Wales would have the last laugh through the boot of Dan Biggar.

It came after Leigh Halfpenny opened the scoring in the 21st minute, before Bernard Foley hit back to make it three-all at the end of a dour first half.

Halfpenny then put the home side ahead by three points with just quarter of an hour to go, but with Foley off the park, Matt Toomua would step up, hitting back for the Wallabies to tie things up six minutes from fulltime.

That match, for all money, looked like it was going to run out as a draw, but Biggar would slot a penalty goal just two minutes later to put the hosts up by three.

With both sides refusing opportunities to score and instead kicking for touch, it may have come back to bite the Aussies in the end, without a single try being scored thanks to some stout defence and poor attacking rugby throughout the 80 minutes.


Despite some frantic rugby at the end of the contest from Australia, they would eventually give away a penalty on their last raid after the 80 minutes had expired and with that, the Welsh side claimed victory over the Wallabies for the first time in 14 attempts.

Final score

Wales 9
Wallabies 6