The Roar
The Roar

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Lakers slam door shut on Pelicans, who reportedly wanted six to eight draft picks for Anthony Davis

Autoplay in... 6 (Cancel)
Up Next No more videos! Playlist is empty -
Replay
Cancel
Next
5th February, 2019
0

Los Angeles Lakers have informed the New Orleans Pelicans on Tuesday that they are pulling of trade talks for NBA star Anthony Davis, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Team president of basketball operations Magic Johnson told New Orleans general manager Dell Demps that the Lakers had made their best offer, the Times reported, citing a source not authorised the speak about the issue.

According to Times’ sources, the Lakers had modified their offer to the Pelicans and were willing to trade Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Ivica Zubac to the Pelicans.

In addition, they had agreed to part with two first-round draft picks and to take Solomon Hill and his $US12.7 million ($A17.5m) contract along with Davis.

“They wanted more and more and more,” a source told the Times.

“There was no more to give.

“They had cap-relief with Hill being in the deal but the more they wanted, the more it became outrageous and unrealistic.”

Both the Times and ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the Pelicans were asking for eight draft picks.

Wojnarowski identified those as four first-round and four second-round picks.

Advertisement
Advertisement

But Wojnarowski cautioned that Johnson will listen if New Orleans come back with a counter offer.

In 41 games this season, Davis is averaging 29.3 points, 13.3 rebounds and 4.4 assists.

In addition to the Lakers, ESPN reported Davis would also entertain signing a contract extension with the Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks and New York Knicks.

Davis’s agent last week said the perennial All-Star would not be re-signing with New Orleans and requested a trade.

Davis is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent in July 2020, so the Pelicans do not need to rush into a trade.

In the meantime, the 25-year-old Davis has recovered from a finger injury but the Pelicans’ front office reportedly ordered him to sit out as rumours swirled before Thursday’s trade deadline.

New Orleans are scheduled to play Wednesday night in Chicago.

Davis said on Friday in his first public comments since demanding a trade that it was “time to move on”.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry told the media on Monday that Davis had been given the OK to practice but that activating him wasn’t his call to make.

© AAP