The hole left in North Queensland’s squad following Ben Barba’s sacking has been filled by New Zealand international Jordan Kahu.
The 28-year-old has signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys after being granted a release by Brisbane.
The Cowboys had been seeking a fullback after terminating the contract of Barba following an alleged altercation with his partner outside Townsville’s casino in early February.
Kahu is the second Bronco to head to Townsville this off-season following Josh McGuire’s switch in November.
Cowboys coach Paul Green said Kahu’s versatility made him an attractive acquisition.
“To pick up a player of Jordan’s ability and experience at this stage of the pre-season is a massive bonus for us,” Green said.
“He gives us depth at a number of positions, he’s a very good centre and he’s played wing and fullback as well.
“His goal kicking ability is the added bonus on top of everything else he offers.”
Kahu made 95 appearance for the Broncos in six seasons, scoring 42 tries.
He offers the Cowboys a goal-kicking option following the retirement of Johnathan Thurston, booting 145 goals from 188 attempts at 77 per cent over the course of his career.
Kahu has made nine Test appearances for the Kiwis and was part of the Maori All Stars team which took on the Indigenous All Stars last Friday.
The short-term deal also keeps the Cowboys in the hunt for Valentine Holmes, should the ex-Cronulla star’s NFL ambitions come to nought.