The deadline for Israel Folau to appeal his contract termination for a code of conduct breach with Rugby Australia’s panel has elapsed, with the former Waratah and Wallaby declining to appeal his sanction.
While this means Folau’s appeal options within Rugby Australia’s disciplinary system have been exhausted, the 30-year-old will almost certainly appeal the decision through the Australian legal system.
A short time ago, he was quoted by Fox Sports journalist Dan Ginnane as saying; “My decision not to commence Rugby Australia’s appeal process is in no way an acceptance of the judicial panel’s findings.
“I simply do not have confidence in Rugby Australia’s ability to treat me fairly or lawfully throughout this process.”
The full statement from Rugby Australia on the matter is as follows;
“The 72-hour window for Israel Folau to appeal his high-level Code of Conduct breach and sanction has expired.
As Folau has not notified the panel of his intention to appeal, the Code of Conduct process has now formally concluded.
With the Code of Conduct matter complete, Folau’s employment contract will be terminated.”
Upon news of his contract termination breaking on Friday, Folau said in a statement that he would “consider his options”.
But RA’s statement today reveals he didn’t notify the governing body of an intention to appeal their decision before the deadline.
While a legal challenge is still possible, Folau has removed any mention of rugby in his social media profiles. After a similar controversy last year, the fullback said he would walk away from the game if the demands of keeping a professional profile clashed with his beliefs.