I have not seen the Adam Goodes documentary, The Final Quarter. Until it is aired, I cannot comment specifically about the issues it raises.
However, Sam Newman’s Twitter account has provided a little insight. If your not aware this is what he posted:
Criticizing someone from another race – doesn’t make you a racist. The groveling doco by Sharkshit Productions ‘The Final Quarter’, should be ‘The Last Straw’. Adam Goodes initially was booed for taunting Carlton fans. Racist? So be it. #racism #fakenews
— Sam Newman (@Origsmartassam) June 9, 2019
I enjoy immensely AFL football, I myself have dabbed as an old fashioned rover in my local competition when numbers were low. But I am from north of the border and may not have the intimate knowledge of AFL club interrelations.
I am loosely aware of the details of the Goodes case. What I know is that Goodes, a two-time Brownlow Medallist, two-time premiership winner and one-time Australian of the Year, was relentlessly booed from 2014 onwards.
This booing caused him to take leave and eventually retire from the game.
So before I respond to Mr Newman’s claims specifically regarding the Carlton fans and why the Goodes booing started with him taunting them, I have a few questions.
1. Is Adam Goodes the first player to taunt Carlton fans? If yes, were they booed for years after doing so?
2. Do fans of rival AFL clubs usually take umbrage when supporters of another AFL club are taunted by a player of another totally different AFL club?
3. Is Carlton everyone’s second team and that’s why Adam Goodes was booed all around the country?
4. Are Carlton supporters the small kids of the AFL, so when they get ‘picked on’ every other club’s fan-base feels the need to run to their defence and single out the so-called bully?
5. Would the Carlton fans have provoked a reaction out of Adam Goodes?
6. Was Adam Goodes’ reaction to Carlton supporters really over the top – and why?
7. Do Carlton fans feel secure knowing that Geelong club legend Sam Newman has their back and will highlight that awful night at the SCG so no one forgets what they went through?
Only after these questions are answered, do I think I can get my head around the veracity of Newman’s claim and be able to respond in kind.
I thank everyone in advance for their answers.