Cameron Bancroft, David Warner and Steve Smith will be reunited on the cricket field in an Ashes trial match for the first time since the ball-tampering saga.
Cameron Bancroft will re-enter the Australian set up for the first time since the ball-tampering scandal after being named for the unofficial Ashes selection trial.
Bancroft was one of 25 players listed for the all-Australia match at Southampton on July 23, just eight days out from the first Test.
Selectors will use the match as a final guide for who to pick in a 16-man squad, before naming the group the day after.
Bancroft will be joined by incumbent Marnus Labuschagne, after both weren’t part of the Australia A tour but have plundered the runs in county cricket.
But there was no room for one-day captain Aaron Finch after his strong World Cup, nor battling allrounders Marcus Stoinis or Glenn Maxwell.
Opener Matt Renshaw has also been left out, after forming part of Australia’s extended squad for the home series against Sri Lanka last summer.
Instead, Bancroft has forced his way in as the fourth opening option after averaging 49.55 in Sheffield Shield and County cricket since his ban ended in December.
It means the match will mark the first time that the trio of Bancroft, David Warner and Steve Smith will all be on the field together since the dramatic Test in Cape Town last year.
“He’s got on with business since he’s been able to play again,” chief selector Trevor Hohns said.
“He’s playing with Durham in the County Championship, so he is doing all he can to get himself back into consideration and back into the Australian squad.
“He is scoring runs on a regular basis.”
“Even going back further, Cameron was making a fair amount of headway when he last played Test cricket for Australia … he was our leading run-scorer in South Africa.”
Bancroft’s inclusion means the battle is down to he, Joe Burns and Marcus Harris to partner David Warner at the top at Edgbaston.
Alex Carey has also been called in following his bumper World Cup, giving him a further chance to place pressure on Matthew Wade as back-up wicketkeeper.
The left-hander could also join the battle for the No.6 position, alongside five others.
Meanwhile, quick Chris Tremain will fight for a bowling spot on the tour.
James Pattinson is expected to join the frontline pace trio, while Jhye Richardson should overcome a shoulder injury by the second Test.
Jon Holland also looks set to be picked in the main squad as back up for Nathan Lyon, as Hohns indicated they’d likely take two spinners, two wicketkeepers and five quicks.
“There are still some positions up for grabs. It won’t just come down to this game either,” Hohns said.
“We have home history to go on and what’s happening here with Australia A.
“But we need to make sure we are picking blokes that are performing in English conditions.”
Australia 25-man squad
Cameron Bancroft, Jackson Bird, Joe Burns, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Jon Holland, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Michael Neser, Tim Paine, Kurtis Patterson, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Peter Siddle, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Chris Tremain, Matthew Wade, David Warner.