The Roar
The Roar



My wrap-up of Round 4 of the A-League

Autoplay in... 6 (Cancel)
Up Next No more videos! Playlist is empty -
Roar Guru
3rd November, 2019

Round 4 was packed full of goals, and here’s a summary of all the action.

Sydney FC 4, Newcastle Jets 1
Sydney FC are back to their winning ways with a convincing 4-1 drubbing at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night. Luke Brattan’s long ball into the box found Milos Ninkovic unmarked. His easy tap-in opened the scoring in the sixth minute.

Three minutes later the Jets shocked the home side, responding in similar fashion with Dimitri Petratos’ free kick finding Matthew Millar for the header to level the scores.

In the 41st minute, Rhyan Grant set up Adam Le Fondre’s goal, giving the hosts a 2-1 lead going into the half-time break.

Sydney extended their lead with Johnny Koutroumbis’ own goal putting the Blues 3-1 ahead. In the 65th minute Kosta Barbarouses scored his first goal for his new side, putting the game beyond doubt at 4-1. Sydney’s were dominant in possession (60 per cent to 40 per cent) and had eight more shots (17-9).

Man of the match: Brandon O’Neill put in an impressive performance in the Sydney midfield. He played 63 passes at 84 per cent efficiency, one of which set up Barbarouses’ sealer. With seven ball recoveries for the game, O’Neill put in an impressive shift defensively.

Western Sydney Wanderers 0, Brisbane Roar 0
Brisbane Roar continued their pattern of being the better team and not taking all three points in their away fixture at Bankwest Stadium against the Wanderers.

Daniel Georgievski came close to opening the scoring the 31st minute with his flying volley just missing the mark. The Roar mounted most of the offence for the half, but it was to be to no avail. Wanderers’ keeper Daniel Lopar kept his side in the game.

The Roar began the second half from where they left off and should’ve scored. Macaulay Gillesphey’s header was cleared off the line, and the follow-up shot was saved by Lopar. Scott Neville tried his luck from range, but Lopar was once again up to the task.


Wanderers were lucky to share the points, and the Roar would be disheartened by the result. Having the majority of possession (57 per cent to 43 per cent) and an extra eight shots (18-10), Brisbane will be once again ruining missed chances.

Man of the match: Daniel Lopar, who once again put in an impressive performance between the sticks for the Wanderers. Despite his defence being exposed, Lopar was up to the task making six saves, and saving all five of the Roar’s shots of target.

Melbourne Victory 2, Western United 3
Western United claimed the first victory of the new derby at Marvel Stadium in an exciting encounter.

Western United fans cheer their team on.

(Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)

Victory jumped United early with the first goal coming from Ola Toivonen in the sixth minute. It was then followed by recruit Kristijan Dobras scoring his first goal for the club a minute later.

The Victory looked in control being 2-0 up before the ten-minute mark, but the game would take a turn. United’s marquee signing Alessandro Diamanti showed his class scoring his first goal for the club, pegging one back.

Thirteen minutes later, United completed the comeback. James Donachie’s failure to clear the ball resulted in an own goal, levelling the scores going into the break. Former Socceroos striker Scott McDonald capped off a man-of-a-match performance with his first goal for United, giving them a 3-2 lead in the 51st minute.

Man of the match: McDonald put in an impressive performance in his first Melbourne derby. He completed 27 of his 29 passes, and opened his account for the 2019/20 season with his first goal – and should’ve scored a double had his shot not hit the crossbar.


Melbourne City 3, Wellington Phoenix 2
Melbourne City finish the round on top of the table with their win over the Phoenix at AAMI Park. The hosts got an early scare as Gary Hooper opened the scoring for the Phoenix in the 24th minute, with his first goal for the club, a header aimed at the back post from a corner.

Conor Metcalfe in the 30th minute responded for City, his header coming off the end of Craig Noone’s cross. Four minutes later, Curtis Good set up Scott Galloway. His long-range shot came off the post to reverse the deficit, City taking a 2-1 lead into the break.

Phoenix defender Louis Fenton gave away a controversial penalty with his deflection deemed to have made hand contact. Noone stepped up to the spot, increased the lead to 3-1 and putting City in control.

Ben Waine scored a consolation prize for the Phoenix with his tap-in in stoppage time trimming the margin. The teenager also scored his first A-League goal.

Man of the match: Craig Noone played his best game for the season, bossing the midfield for City. His cross set up the first goal of the game, and his goal from the penalty spot put his side in control, playing a big part in the win. He went at 66 per cent passing efficiency from his 29 passes, and his seven ball recoveries capped off a complete performance.


Perth Glory 1, Central Coast Mariners 2
After several honourable performances, the Mariners finally got their first win of the season in their away clash in Perth. Daniel De Silva continued his impressive form, scoring the opening goal of the game in the 17th minute, tucking his shot nicely into the bottom corner.

Ivan Franjic levelled the scores for the hosts in 32nd minute, picking up the crumbs from a Mark Birighitti save.

Mariners youngster Samuel Silvera regained the lead for the visitors, finessing his shot into the bottom corner on the stroke of half time. It would be how the game stayed, as the Mariners enjoyed a rare away win.

Man of the match: Jack Clisby put in a good performance at left back, recovering the ball five times and putting in three successful tackles, as well as five ball clearances. He had an impact pushing up the ground and setting up a goal.