Benji Marshall changed everything.
After their sixth straight loss, a lot of pressure has been mounting on Anthony Seibold to be sacked and for players like Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford to be moved on from the club.
The last time the Broncos lost six straight games was over 15 years ago and after leading 10-0 at one stage against the Warriors, Brisbane fans may have thought they had it in the bag.
But an amazing performance from Blake Green and Ken Maumalo caused the Broncos to lose 26-16.
Broncos CEO Paul White called for a press conference for Sunday morning, the day after their horrific loss, and said that the under-pressure Seibold will not be sacked despite a history-making sixth straight loss.
“We are six weeks in to the restart of the game, I know we have lost six games but we started the season with two wins,” White said.
Anthony Seibold also set another record for the club but not in a good way. They were beaten 58-0 by the Eels in last year’s finals series in Week 1 and then came up against the back-to-back premiers in the Roosters and got thumped 59-0, which is the heaviest defeat in the club’s history.
The Broncos won the opening two rounds of the competition in 2020 after beating the Cowboys – who had Jason Taumalolo, Valentine Holmes and Michael Morgan – then the South Sydney Rabbitohs after a close 22-18 game.
The Broncos next week will face the last-placed Bulldogs side, who they should beat. But if the Broncos’ recent form stays as it is, then I don’t think Seibold will have a job in the coming weeks.
After the Bulldogs game, they have the Wests Tigers who are in good form. Then they face up against the heavyweights in the Storm and then they have the Sharks, who have a firing Shaun Johnson running the show.
It’s a tough month coming up for the Broncos but I urge all Brisbane supporters to keep supporting them through their tough time and success will come to the club in the next few years with a lot of youngsters ready to shine.