The Sydney Swans have axed Elijah Taylor as the young footballer awaits sentencing for the aggravated assault of his ex-girlfriend.
Taylor played four senior matches in his debut AFL season but was suspended in August for breaking strict quarantine protocols.
The 19-year-old was stood down from all football duties by the Swans in September after he was charged by police.
On September 30, Taylor pleaded guilty to unlawfully assaulting Lekahni Pearce and causing her bodily harm at a Perth hotel earlier that month.
The Swans consulted the AFL, AFL Players’ Association and Taylor’s management before making the decision to cut the player from their list.
Swans football manager Charlie Gardiner said in a statement on Monday the situation is “deeply regrettable”.
“Elijah has made some very poor decisions which have led us to this point, and he acknowledges that,” Gardiner said.
“This is certainly not a position we have arrived at lightly, however, Elijah’s actions could not be reconciled.
“It is obviously a sensitive situation and a legal process is still to play out, but in working with Elijah and his management, our collective view was that the right call for both Elijah and the club is to part ways.”
Taylor is due to appear in court again on December 2 for sentencing.
The Swans’ decision was backed by the AFL.
“The AFL supports the decision of the Sydney Swans to part ways with Elijah Taylor following discussions with the club, the AFLPA and the player’s management team,” the AFL said in a statement.
“There are ongoing legal proceedings that are still to be finalised and the AFL will await the outcome of the court process before considering the matter further and providing comment.”