The Roar
The Roar

Advertisement

'Canberra have continued to kick me while I'm down': Scott blasts Raiders in extraordinary rant

Autoplay in... 6 (Cancel)
Up Next No more videos! Playlist is empty -
Replay
Cancel
Next
24th August, 2021
44
1006 Reads

Curtis Scott has accused Canberra of not caring about the welfare of their players as teammates show grave concern for the sacked Raiders centre who says he has hit rock bottom.

The 23-year-old was released from the final two years of his NRL contract on Monday after the club determined his recent assault charge and previous incidents brought the club into disrepute.

But in a scathing social media post, the ex-Melbourne centre blamed the club for not showing him enough support after he revealed mental health issues.

It follows a News Corp report which says Scott was also involved in a physical altercation with former Raiders forward John Bateman at a team function last year which was dealt with in-house.

He claims the information was leaked to media to discredit him.

“I opened up about extremely personal information regarding my mental health and current struggles, I have just lost what feels like everything to me and I can’t understand why Canberra have continued to kick me while I’m down and now leak in-house information that was dealt with over a year ago regarding a former player,” Scott wrote in an Instagram post.

“The club has nothing to gain out of this, but hopes of reasoning for their lack of support. In my opinion it’s a low act and they have shown and proved that they have no real care factor for players welfare.

“It’s not the first time this has happened to a player at the Raiders that has come out about mental health struggles.”

The suggestion has the Canberra club fuming following similar accusations from former half George Williams who left the Raiders this season to return to England.

Advertisement

However, the Raiders believe they have provided Scott more than adequate support over his tumultuous two seasons at the club.

Former skipper Josh Hodgson on Tuesday said he is worried for Scott, but was diplomatic when asked about his claims of a lack of support.

“I’m sure he probably feels that way if that’s what he wrote,” Hodgson said.

“Scotty has been on his own for a long time back in Canberra and away in Sydney and we’ve been up here (in Queensland) and he really feels isolated.”

Scott is considering filing an unfair dismissal claim against the club.

Earlier this year he was cleared of any wrongdoing after he was accused of assaulting two police officers on Australia Day in 2020.

In May he was involved in a nightclub incident in Canberra and charged with assault.

He been stood down since as well as copping a three-game ban and fines worth $30,000 by the NRL.

Advertisement

Scott has turned to Alcoholics Anonymous and psychiatric treatment, saying the trauma of the recent incidents had left him at rock bottom.

Hodgson said Scott is now worried about his NRL career and the playing group have rallied around him in the delicate situation.

“(He’s) pretty down as you can imagine and really unsure what his future is going to look like, so I’m just trying to check in on him and make sure that he’s alright and not stressing on those kinds of things,” Hodgson said.

“I don’t know what to say to him to be honest, it’s a hard situation especially when you’re kind of doing it over the phone.”

© AAP

close