A bout of the flu sweeping through the squad is causing havoc with Canberra’s preparations for Sunday’s stoush with South Sydney in Dubbo.
Nearly half the team has been under the weather and coach Ricky Stuart may have to make mass changes for the crucial clash.
Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes will not make a return from a calf injury on Saturday night against the Cowboys in Townsville. Nick Meaney moves into the halves from the wing with Dean Ieremia elevated to the starting side.
Victor Radley has been dealt another State of Origin blow with the star Sydney Roosters forward set to undergo surgery on his injured ankle. Radley will be sidelined for six to eight weeks with the syndesmosis injury, continuing his horror run with NSW Origin selection. The lock will be unavailable for Origin 1 in Sydney on June 8 and most likely the second match in Perth on June 26.
Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon has switched Nicho Hynes back to halfback with rugby sevens convert Lachie Miller to make his NRL debut in Sunday’s stoush with the Titans. Cameron McInnes will start at lock with Dale Finucane sidelined with knee and concussion issues.
Warriors forward Jazz Tevaga will switch to hooker in his 100th NRL game after Wayde Egan (calf) has been ruled out of Saturday’s clash with the Dragons at Kogarah.
Second-rower Euan Aitken (head knock), centre Jesse Arthars (shoulder) and five-eighth Chanel Harris-Tavita (ruptured testicle) are due to return for the Warriors although the latter two have been named in the extended reserves.
Knights: Veteran forward Tyson Frizell is back from an illness while Anthony Milford will play five-eighth in what will be his first game at NRL level since the end of last season at Brisbane. Tex Hoy drops back to 18th man duties and Dane Gagai (cheekbone) and Jake Clifford are in the reserves and could be late additions to the game-day squad.
1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Edrick Lee 3. Enari Tuala 4. Bradman Best 5. Dominic Young 6. Anthony Milford 7. Adam Clune 8. David Klemmer 9. Chris Randall 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Mitchell Barnett 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Leo Thompson 17. Mathew Croker 18. Tex Hoy 19. Simi Sasagi 20. Dane Gagai 21. Jake Clifford 22. Sauaso Sue 23. Pasami Saulo 24. Brodie Jones
Broncos: Te Maire Martin injured his hip in last week’s win over Manly but has been named at fullback for the in-form Brisbane side. Adam Reynolds is a late withdrawal due to a groin injury with Ezra Mam to make his debut at halfback.
1. Te Maire Martin 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Tyson Gamble 21. Ezra Mam 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan 14. Cory Paix 15. Kobe Hetherington 16. Thomas Flegler 17. Keenan Palasia 18. Brenko Lee 19. TC Robati 20. Rhys Kennedy 22. Jordan Pereira 23. Ryan James 24. David Mead
Tigers: Luke Brooks (hamstring) being out means a recall for Jock Madden at five-eighth. Asu Kepaoa (COVID) is back at centre, so Luke Garner returns to the pack with Kelma Tuilagi dropped to the interchange. Jake Simpkin (concussion) is out with Jacob Liddle the new hooker. New recruit Brent Naden has been named on the extended reserves and Michael Maguire said he would play. Naden is likely to start at centre with Tyrone Peachey reverting to the interchange.
1. Starford To’a 2. Junior Tupou 3. Asu Kepaoa 4. Tyrone Peachey 5. Ken Maumalo 6. Jock Madden 7. Jackson Hastings 8. James Tamou 9. Jacob Liddle 10. Zane Musgrove 11. Luke Garner 12. Luciano Leilua 13. Joe Ofahengaue 14. Kelma Tuilagi 15. Alex Twal 16. Fa’amanu Brown 17. Stefano Utoikamanu 18. Alex Seyfarth 19. Oliver Gildart 20. Thomas Mikaele 21. Brent Naden 22. Junior Pauga 23. Tukimihia Simpkins 24. Fonua Pole
Bulldogs: Mick Potter has been named as the interim coach and has inherited a team that is not only down on confidence in last spot but battling a wave of the flu sweeping through the squad, with Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton among several players in doubt. Jake Averillo has been recalled at centre for the Dogs, replacing Brent Naden while Corey Waddell is out of the pack due to a head knock with Jackson Topine promoted.
1. Matt Dufty 2. Jayden Okunbor 3. Aaron Schoupp 4. Jake Averillo
5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Luke Thompson 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Jackson Topine 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Josh Jackson 14. Bailey Biondi-Odo 15. Joe Stimson 16. Max King 17. Chris Patolo 19. Jacob Kiraz 20. Zach Dockar-Clay 21. Brandon Wakeham 22. Tui Katoa 23. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 24. Paul Alamoti 25. Ava Seumanufagai
Eels: Maika Sivo hasn’t played this year due to the ACL tear he suffered last season but has been named on the extended bench. Ryan Matterson has replaced Nathan Brown as starting lock.
1. Clint Gutherson 2. Hayze Perham 3. Viliami Penisini 4. Tom Opacic 5. Bailey Simonsson 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Isaiah Papali’i 13. Ryan Matterson 14. Makahesi Makatoa 15. Marata Niukore 16. Oregon Kaufusi 17. Nathan Brown 18. Wiremu Greig 19. Jakob Arthur 20. Mitch Rein 21. Bryce Cartwright 22. Sean Russell 23. Elie El Zakhem 24. Maika Sivo
Sea Eagles: Josh Schuster has overcome his calf injury while star fullback Tom Trbojevic’s corked thigh won’t keep him out. Ben Trbojevic’s shoulder problem means he is replaced in the centres by rookie Tolu Koula.
1. Tom Trbojevic 2. Christian Tuipulotu 3. Morgan Harper 4. Tolutau Koula 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Sean Keppie 11. Haumole Olakau’atu 12. Andrew Davey 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Dylan Walker 15. Josh Schuster 16. Martin Taupau 17. Toafofoa Sipley 18. Ethan Bullemor 19. Kurt De Luis 20. Kaeo Weekes 21. Jamie Humphreys 22. Alec Tuitavake 23. Zac Fulton 24. Jacob Sykes
Dragons: Tyrell Sloan has been dropped with Cody Ramsey taking over at fullback. Veteran forward Josh McGuire’s groin injury means Jack Gosiewski is elevated to the starting side and Francis Molo’s younger brother Michael joins the bench for what will be his NRL debut.
1. Cody Ramsey 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 9. Moses Mbye 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack Bird 12. Jack Gosiewski 13. Jack de Belin 14. Jayden Sullivan 15. Tariq Sims 16. Aaron Woods 17. Michael Molo 18. Francis Molo 19. Tyrell Fuimaono 20. Tautau Moga 21. George Burgess 22. Tyrell Sloan 23. Josh Kerr 24. Jackson Ford 25. Jaiyden Hunt
Warriors: Jazz Tevaga will switch to hooker in his 100th NRL game after Wayde Egan (calf) has been ruled out of Saturday’s clash with the Dragons at Kogarah. Second-rower Euan Aitken (head knock), centre Jesse Arthars (shoulder) and five-eighth Chanel Harris-Tavita (ruptured testicle) are due to return for the Warriors although the latter two have been named in the extended reserves.
1. Reece Walsh 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Viliami Vailea 4. Adam Pompey 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Daejarn Asi 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Jazz Tevaga 10. Matt Lodge 11. Euan Aitken 12. Tohu Harris (c) 13. Jack Murchie.
Interchange: 14. Aaron Pene 15. Ben Murdoch-Masila 16. Bunty Afoa 17. Freddy Lussick 18. Eliesa Katoa 20. Taniela Otukolo 21. Jesse Arthars 22. Pride Petterson-Robati 23. Junior Ratuva 24. Ronald Volkman 25. Chanel Harris-Tavita
Cowboys: Todd Payten doesn’t need to make changes to a winning line-up free of injury concerns. Tom Gilbert has avoided suspension by taking a $3000 fine for a high tackle.
1. Scott Drinkwater 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Valentine Holmes 4. Peta Hiku 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Tom Dearden 7. Chad Townsend 8. Jordan McLean 9. Reece Robson 10. Reuben Cotter 11. Tom Gilbert 12. Jeremiah Nanai 13. Jason Taumalolo 14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 15. Heilum Luki 16. Coen Hess 17. Griffin Neame 18. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 19. Jake Granville 20. Connelly Lemuelu 21. Ben Condon 22. Jake Bourke 23. Ben Hampton 24. Brendan Elliot
Storm: Star halfback Jahrome Hughes is not over his calf problem while Tyran Wishart has been retained at fullback despite a patchy performance against Penrith. Brandon Smith will start at prop with Nelson Asofa-Solomona hobbled by a knee complaint. Nick Meaney moves to half for Hughes with Dean Ieremia coming onto the wing.
1. Tyran Wishart 2. Nick Meaney 3. Marion Seve 4. Justin Olam 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harry Grant 10. Brandon Smith 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Josh King 14. Alec MacDonald 15. Dean Ieremia 16. Trent Loiero 17. Tui Kamikamica 18. Chris Lewis 19. Cooper Johns 20. Tom Eisenhuth 21. Jordan Grant 22. Bronson Garlick 23. William Warbrick 24. Jayden Nikorima
Roosters: Victor Radley’s ankle injury opens up the lock spot for Nat Butcher while prop Lindsay Collins will make his comeback from a high tackle ban via the bench.
1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Paul Momirovski 4. Joseph Manu 5. Joseph Suaalii 6. Sam Walker 7. Luke Keary 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Connor Watson 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho 11. Angus Crichton 12. Sitili Tupouniua 13. Nat Butcher 14. Drew Hutchison 15. Fletcher Baker 16. Daniel Suluka-Fifita 17. Lindsay Collins 18. Lachlan Lam 19. Nat Butcher 20. Ben Marschke 21. Naufahu Whyte 22. Kevin Naiqama 23. Adam Keighran 24. Terrell May
Panthers: Ivan Cleary has named an unchanged line-up as the coach looks to make a comeback of his own after missing the past two matches due to a knee infection.
1. Dylan Edwards 2. Taylan May 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Mitch Kenny 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Jaeman Salmon 18. Robert Jennings 19. Chris Smith 20. J’maine Hopgood 21. Sean O’Sullivan 22. Matt Eisenhuth 23. Soni Luke 24. Charlie Staines
Rabbitohs: Trent Peoples will make his NRL debut, replacing second-rower Jacob Host, out with a shoulder problem.
1. Blake Taaffe 2. Alex Johnston 3. Jaxson Paulo 4. Campbell Graham 5. Taane Milne 6. Cody Walker 7. Lachlan Ilias 8. Tevita Tatola 9. Damien Cook 10. Thomas Burgess 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Trent Peoples 13. Jai Arrow 14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Davvy Moale 16. Siliva Havili 17. Liam Knight 18. Peter Mamouzelos 19. Isaiah Tass 20. Josh Mansour 21. Shaq Mitchell 22. Dean Hawkins 23. Richard Kennar 24. Hame Sele
Raiders: Matt Frawley has been rewarded for his efforts filling in for Jack Wighton by holding his spot now the star five-eighth has served his two-game suspension with Brad Schneider making way. Several players are battling a dose of the flu and Canberra may need to make changes by game day.
1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Nick Cotric 3. Matthew Timoko 4. Sebastian Kris 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Matt Frawley 8. Josh Papali’i 9. Zac Woolford 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Corey Harawira-Naera 14. Tom Starling 15. Ryan Sutton 16. Xavier Savage 17. Corey Horsburgh 18. Adam Elliott 19. Brad Schneider 20. Harry Rushton 21. Adrian Trevilyan 22. James Schiller 23. Emre Guler 24. Trey Mooney
Titans: Gold Coast got through their extra-time win over the Dragons unscathed and have named an unchanged line-up.
1. Jayden Campbell 2. Corey Thompson 3. Phillip Sami 4. Esan Marsters 5. Jamayne Isaako 6. AJ Brimson 7. Toby Sexton 8. Moeaki Fotuaika 9. Erin Clark 10. Jarrod Wallace 11. Isaac Liu 12. Beau Fermor 13. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 14. Tanah Boyd 15. Sam Lisone 16. Herman Ese’ese 17. Sam McIntyre 18. Will Smith 19. Paul Turner 20. Jaimin Jolliffe 21. Brian Kelly 22. Greg Marzhew 23. Patrick Herbert 24. Aaron Booth
Sharks: Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon has switched Nicho Hynes back to halfback with rugby sevens convert Lachie Miller to make his NRL debut in Sunday’s stoush with the Titans. Cameron McInnes will start at lock with Dale Finucane sidelined with knee and concussion issues.
1. Lachlan Miller 2. Sione Katoa 3. Connor Tracey 4. Siosifa Talakai 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nicho Hynes 8. Toby Rudolf 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Royce Hunt 11. Briton Nikora 12. Wade Graham 13. Cameron McInnes 14. Aiden Tolman 15. Braydon Trindall 16. Teig Wilton 17. Andrew Fifita 18. Kade Dykes 19. Thomas Hazelton 20. Luke Metcalf 21. Mawene Hiroti 22. Jayden Berrell 23. Jesse Colquhoun 24. Jonaiah Lualua