Collingwood have fined Jordan De Goey $25,000 for his behaviour in Bali that was captured on video.
The fine will be suspended until the end of the year putting De Goey on notice that he’ll have to pay should he slip up again.
“Our club’s very strong position is that disrespect towards women, in any form, is never acceptable and we strongly condemn it,” Collingwood CEO Mark Anderson said.
“Jordan’s actions shown in the vision shared on social media are actions we do not accept as a football club, and we are extremely disappointed to see him put himself in this position.
“We have spoken to Jordan at length, and he understands the seriousness of the situation.”
The suspended fine comes after the club reportedly pulled a contract offer to De Goey who is out of contract at the end of the season.
The Age reports the deal was worth about $800,000 per season with a trigger for a further two years, but that the Magpies are now reassessing their options.
De Goey has returned to Melbourne after spending his mid-season break in Bali but was absent from Collingwood on Monday as teammates returned for training.
The 26-year-old is expected back at the club in the coming days.
Collingwood had been investigating after De Goey was filmed partying in Bali, with footage and images emerging on social media.
De Goey, who was given permission by the club to travel to Bali, was shown dancing and making crude gestures on the Indonesian party island.
He initially denied any wrongdoing and portrayed himself as a victim on social media but has since apologised.
“I unreservedly apologise to the Collingwood Football Club, its Members, supporters and the wider community for my conduct in Bali and I accept full responsibility for my actions,” De Goey said.
“The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the Club showed in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break overseas.
“I fully accept that as an AFL player, I have a unique leadership role in the community and with that role comes responsibility.
The AFL issued a statement late on Tuesday.
“The AFL supports the Collingwood Football Club’s decision to impose a $25,000 fine (suspended) on Jordan DeGoey after social media content of him engaging in disrespectful conduct whilst in Bali last week was posted,” the statement read.
“Jordan’s conduct in those social media posts did not meet the standards we want our game to stand for and his behaviour sets a bad example that has the potential to be interpreted by others as something that is okay, when it is absolutely not.
“The AFL wishes to reiterate that all AFL players have a responsibility to themselves, their clubs, and their professional careers to make the right choices when it comes to appropriate behaviour particularly in a public environment including on any of their social media platforms, and especially in relation to their behaviour towards women.”
It remains to be seen what effect the latest incident has on De Goey’s value to rival clubs, with St Kilda most closely linked to a free-agency play for the explosive midfielder-forward.
Saints legend Nick Riewoldt said his former club should consider De Goey but would have to weigh up whether the player can change his ways.
“It’s something you can entertain as a football club because let’s not forget, we are talking about a serious on-field talent,” Riewoldt told Fox Footy.
“For a club like St Kilda, which has won one premiership, he’s a difference-maker.
“But this is all if you have a level of confidence a level of contrition has been shown.”
The latest incident comes after De Goey was stood down by Collingwood last October when he was arrested for a drunken incident at a New York nightclub.
De Goey and a friend were arrested at a Manhattan rooftop bar following an alleged brawl with other patrons.
In January, De Goey pleaded guilty to a charge of harassment at a hearing at the Manhattan Criminal Court and was ordered to complete 10 counselling sessions with a focus on anger management and alcohol treatment. He was stood down by Collingwood during the legal process and returned to training in January.
De Goey has been in strong form in 12 games this season, averaging 21.5 disposals and a goal per game.
Meanwhile, the Collingwood Football Club have issued a statement after Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Quaynor filmed themselves on the popular TikTok app.
The pair were taking part in a viral trend where you issue a rating for something.
Ginnivan and Quaynor were rating women based on each other giving hypotheticals.
“She’s a 10, but got some (indistinct) teeth, like them teeth are going every which way, diagonal, everything.”
“F—ing hell. Four,” Ginnivan responded.
Collingwood Football Club players Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Quaynor have apologised for a video posted on a social media platform.
The Club was aware of Jack Ginnivan’s since-deleted social media post where he and teammate Isaac Quaynor took part in a Tik Tok trend.
After speaking to the Club, the players understood it is not an acceptable trend to participate in and immediately removed the video from their social media platforms.
The players have apologised to everyone at the club, across all programs, members and the wider community for the impact of their actions.
In addition to apologising, both players will undertake further education on the appropriate use of social media with respect to the content they create.
Patrick Dangerfield and fellow superstar Dustin Martin will return to action as the headline acts when Geelong and Richmond face off in an AFL heavyweight battle in round 15.
Martin’s availability after overcoming illness offsets the Tigers’ loss of Trent Cotchin to a cracked collarbone, while Noah Balta (hamstring) is also out.
Cats veteran Dangerfield has not played since suffering calf tightness a month ago in the same muscle he injured earlier in the season.
The previous injury – a cork in the same spot where he had earlier suffered a strain – put him out of action for rounds six and seven.
The 32-year-old has since completed a block of training in the last month, including some high-intensity sessions, to prove his fitness.
Dangerfield’s return for Saturday night’s MCG showdown was confirmed by coach Chris Scott, who said the stage is set for a blockbuster clash between fourth and sixth on the ladder.
“We’re pumped because this is the first time we’ve played in Melbourne for a little while where there shouldn’t be any barriers to our fans getting up to the ground,” Scott told Fox Footy.
“We’ve played games when trains haven’t been running … but Dustin Martin’s back, Paddy Dangerfield’s back and it’s Saturday afternoon at the ‘G, so get there Cats fans.”
Cotchin requires surgery on a collarbone injury sustained during the third quarter of Richmond’s win over Carlton last week.
“He’s had some scans and it’s showed he has a little crack in there which needs surgical repair and a plate put in there,” Richmond’s head of fitness Peter Burge said.
“So, he’s having that done in the next day or so. He’ll miss this week and we’ll reassess beyond this week as to what that means. It’s a little bit unfortunate, but we’ll get him back as soon as we can.”
Western Bulldogs utility Taylor Duryea faces two months out while teammate Tim English will also miss his AFL club’s next game.
Duryea suffered a medial ligament injury to a knee while English has experienced delayed concussion, ruling him out of the Dogs’ Friday night clash against Hawthorn.
English was involved in a dangerous tackle from GWS’ Braydon Preuss in Saturday night’s match, resulting in the Giants ruckman being offered a one-match ban.
But the Bulldogs are uncertain whether that incident led to English’s concussion.
“Tim was involved in some heavy impact incidents throughout the game,” the Dogs’ head of medicine Chris Bell said in a statement on Monday.
“He was fine during the game but developed a headache afterwards.
“Yesterday, Tim developed some signs and symptoms that are consistent with a delayed concussion.”
Duryea was hurt in the first quarter of his side’s victory and will miss between six and eight weeks.
But the Bulldogs hold some hope Cody Weightman will face the Hawks despite dislocating an elbow against the Giants.
“Scans have confirmed that he has damaged some ligaments but the bone structure of the joint is OK,” Bell said.
“We will work through a process with Cody this week to determine when he returns to play.”
Hawthorn forward Jack Gunston is rated by coach Sam Mitchell as likely to return against the Dogs after suffering an ankle injury in round 12.
Spearhead Mitch Lewis is certain to return after missing the Hawks’ last game because of knee swelling.
Meanwhile, West Coast defender Jeremy McGovern will spend a third night in hospital after suffering a significant rib injury in Saturday’s 18-point loss to Geelong.
McGovern was taken to hospital after leaving the field in the second quarter, and he is due to have surgery on Monday to have a plate inserted.
The Eagles say they will release more details post-surgery.
Richmond will be without Trent Cotchin for their momentous tussle with Geelong on Saturday, with the former captain requiring surgery to fix a cracked clavicle.
Robbie Tarrant (hand) is in doubt and Noah Balta will miss at least one match with a minor hamstring issue that the Tigers believe is linked to a previous similar setback.
Dustin Martin is available to return from illness.
Gold Coast’s Wil Powell’s season is over after breaking an ankle during Sunday’s win over Adelaide.
The Crows are waiting on scan results on the young forward Riley Thilthorpe’s ankle injury.
Port Adelaide are also awaiting results from Monday scans on midfielder Zak Butters, who suffered a knee injury in the Power’s win over Sydney on Saturday.
Port’s mid-season draftee Brynn Teakle has had surgery on a broken collarbone which cut short his AFL debut against the Swans and will miss up to eight weeks.