Having someone commentating on NRL games who actually knows what they are talking about when a contentious refereeing decision has been made could be…
Warriors fullback Reece Walsh has been ruled out of Sunday’s Mt Smart Stadium homecoming match against the Wests Tigers after failing a COVID test.
Walsh returned a positive test on Friday and is now isolating before returning to training when the team reassembles in Redcliffe following next week’s bye.
It also puts a line through his chances of being in the Queensland squad for Origin III on July 13. He was selected among the reserves for game two in Perth.
The Warriors flew into Auckland on Monday and were greeted at Mt Smart Stadium on Tuesday with a traditional welcoming ceremony as the build-up for the clash continues to their first match at home since 2019.
Warriors prop Bunty Afoa will memorably become the club’s 28th 100-game player in one of the biggest occasions in team history.
Luke Brooks will line up in the halves for the Wests Tigers despite incorrect speculation that he would be dropped.
Blues hopeful Latrell Mitchell will make his return after more than two months out with a hamstring tear for Souths on Saturday night against Parramatta.
Titans forward David Fifita will pack down in the second row for the Gold Coast in Newcastle on Friday against the Knights, who will be without Kalyn Ponga after he was ruled out due to a concussion suffered late in Origin.
NSW prop Payne Haas will play for the Broncos on Saturday against the Cowboys in Townsville despite suffering a high ankle sprain in the game-two victory in Perth.
Brisbane coach Kevin Walters confirmed on Friday his forward spearhead would suit up, along with skipper Adam Reynolds, who has been out with rib damage.
The match will mark both the 100th NRL appearance and club debut of North Queensland recruit Luciano Leilua.
Sea Eagles: Josh Aloiai has been ruled out with a concussion suffered while representing Samoa.
1. Reuben Garrick 2. Jason Saab 3. Morgan Harper 4. Tolutau Koula 5. Christian Tuipulotu 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Sean Keppie 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Toafofoa Sipley 11. Haumole Olakau’atu 12. Andrew Davey 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Dylan Walker 15. Josh Schuster 16. Martin Taupau 17. Taniela Paseka 18. Ben Trbojevic 19. Kurt De Luis 20. Ethan Bullemor 21. Jorge Taufua 22. Kaeo Weekes
Storm: Ryan Papenhuyzen will make his comeback from leg injuries and a bout of COVID-19 as Cameron Munster (shoulder) has been ruled out. Felise Kaufusi (personal reasons) is out with Chris Lewis into the second row. Papenhuyzen will slot in at fullback with Nick Meaney switched to five-eighth for Munster.
19. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. Dean Ieremia 3. Marion Seve 4. Justin Olam 5. Grant Anderson 1. Nick Meaney
6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harry Grant 10. Josh King 11. Chris Lewis 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Brandon Smith 14. Jayden Nikorima 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Tom Eisenhuth 17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 18. Alec MacDonald 20. Tyran Wishart 21. Jordan Grant 22. Bronson Garlick
Knights: Kalyn Ponga (head knock) has been ruled out after the high shot he copped from Nathan Cleary in Origin II. Tex Hoy is the new fullback. Prop Daniel Saifiti (knee) and centre Bradman Best (elbow) are a chance of returning after being named in the reserves.
1. Tex Hoy 2. Edrick Lee 3. Dane Gagai 4. Enari Tuala 5. Dominic Young 6. Anthony Milford 7. Adam Clune 8. David Klemmer 9. Chris Randall 10. Jacob Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Kurt Mann 14. Simi Sasagi 15. Leo Thompson 16. Mathew Croker 17. Pasami Saulo 18. Jake Clifford 19. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 20. Bradman Best 21. Hymel Hunt 22. Daniel Saifiti
Titans: David Fifita is expected to return from his knee injury via the interchange.
1. AJ Brimson 2. Greg Marzhew 3. Brian Kelly 4. Patrick Herbert 5. Jamayne Isaako 6. Paul Turner 7. Toby Sexton 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Erin Clark 10. Isaac Liu 11. Sam McIntyre 12. Beau Fermor 13. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 14. Tanah Boyd 15. Moeaki Fotuaika 16. Jaimin Jolliffe 17. David Fifita 18. Corey Thompson 19. Herman Ese’ese 20. Aaron Booth 21. Kevin Proctor 22. Sosefo Fifita
Panthers: Penrith’s Origin contingent did not suffer any major injuries on Sunday night in Perth. Nathan Cleary escaped sanction for his high hit on Kalyn Ponga.
1. Dylan Edwards 2. Taylan May 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Mitch Kenny 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Jaeman Salmon 18. Robert Jennings 19. Matt Eisenhuth 20. Chris Smith 21. Sunia Turuva 22. Sean O’Sullivan
Roosters: Victor Radley is over his ankle injury suffered six weeks ago and is back at lock. Luke Keary (concussion) will miss another week with Drew Hutchison filling in for him in the halves alongside Sam Walker.
1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Billy Smith 4. Joseph Manu 5. Joseph Suaalii 6. Drew Hutchison 7. Sam Walker 8. Lindsay Collins 9. Sam Verrills 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho 11. Angus Crichton 12. Sitili Tupouniua 13. Victor Radley 14. Connor Watson 15. Egan Butcher 16. Nat Butcher 17. Fletcher Baker 18. Paul Momirovski 19. Daniel Suluka-Fifita 20. Adam Keighran 21. Terrell May 22. Lachlan Lam
Bulldogs: Luke Thompson recently returned to the UK for personal reasons and is not due back until next week. The team has remained the same from the 17-man line-up which thumped the Wests Tigers a fortnight ago. Interim coach Mick Potter has been ruled out after contracting COVID-19 with assistant David Furner taking over.
1. Jake Averillo 2. Jacob Kiraz 3. Aaron Schoupp 4. Corey Allan 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Max King 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Josh Jackson 12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 13. Tevita Pangai Junior 14. Zach Dockar-Clay 15. Corey Waddell 16. Joe Stimson 17. Kurtis Morrin 19. Declan Casey 20. Bailey Biondi-Odo 21. Jayden Tanner 22. Harrison Edwards 24. Jackson Topine
Sharks: Siosifa Talakai only played 17 minutes in his NSW Origin debut off the bench so he will be relatively fresh.
1. Will Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Jesse Ramien 4. Siosifa Talakai 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nicho Hynes 8. Toby Rudolf 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Royce Hunt 11. Briton Nikora 12. Wade Graham 13. Cameron McInnes 14. Aiden Tolman 15. Dale Finucane 16. Teig Wilton 17. Andrew Fifita 18. Connor Tracey 19. Braydon Trindall 20. Kade Dykes 21. Jesse Colquhoun 22. Lachlan Miller
Cowboys: The match will mark both the 100th NRL appearance and club debut of North Queensland recruit Luciano Leilua. He has been named on the interchange.
1. Scott Drinkwater 2. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 3. Valentine Holmes 4. Peta Hiku 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Tom Dearden 7. Chad Townsend 8. Jordan McLean 9. Reece Robson 10. Coen Hess 11. Tom Gilbert 12. Jeremiah Nanai 13. Jason Taumalolo 14. Jake Granville 15. Luciano Leilua 16. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 17. Griffin Neame 18. Ben Condon 19. Brendan Elliot 20. Kane Bradley 21. Iosefo Baleiwairiki 22. Kyle Feldt
Broncos: Adam Reynolds (ribs) and Payne Haas (ankle) will play.
1. Te Maire Martin 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Brenko Lee 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan 14. Jake Turpin 15. Kobe Hetherington 16. Thomas Flegler 17. Keenan Palasia 18. Jordan Pereira 19. TC Robati 20. Tyson Gamble 21. Delouise Hoeter 22. Rhys Kennedy
Rabbitohs: Latrell Mitchell’s return is a massive boost for the inconsistent Bunnies. His return pushes Kodi Nikorima to the interchange and Blake Taaffe to the reserves.
1. Latrell Mitchell 2. Alex Johnston 3. Taane Milne 4. Campbell Graham 5. Jaxson Paulo 6. Cody Walker 7. Lachlan Ilias 8. Tevita Tatola 9. Damien Cook 10. Mark Nicholls 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jai Arrow 13. Cameron Murray 14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Thomas Burgess 16. Siliva Havili 17. Hame Sele 18. Blake Taaffe 19. Isaiah Tass 20. Liam Knight 21. Ben Lovett 22. Davvy Moale
Eels: Coach Brad Arthur has few concerns with his squad with Blues prop Junior Paulo and their international contingent all avoiding injury last weekend.
1. Clint Gutherson 2. Maika Sivo 3. Viliami Penisini 4. Waqa Blake 5. Bailey Simonsson 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Isaiah Papali’i 13. Ryan Matterson 14. Makahesi Makatoa 15. Marata Niukore 16. Oregon Kaufusi 17. Ky Rodwell 18. Tom Opacic 19. Jakob Arthur 20. Nathan Brown 21. Bryce Cartwright 22. Hayze Perham
Warriors: Auckland is abuzz with the Warriors returning to play their first match on New Zealand soil since 2019. Warriors prop Bunty Afoa will memorably become the club’s 28th 100-game player in one of the biggest occasions in team history. Reece Walsh is out with COVID. Rocco Berry or Adam Pompey will come into the backs, probably at centre, with a reshuffle on the cards.
1. Reece Walsh 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Jesse Arthars 4. Euan Aitken 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Ronald Volkman 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Wayde Egan 10. Jazz Tevaga 11. Jack Murchie 12. Tohu Harris (c) 13. Josh Curran.
Interchange: 14. Chanel Harris-Tavita 15. Bunty Afoa 16. Eliesa Katoa 17. Bayley Sironen 18. Adam Pompey 20. Aaron Pene 21. Rocco Berry 22. Freddy Lussick 23. Daejarn Asi
Tigers: Luke Brooks has retained his position in the halves despite speculation suggesting he would be dropped. Young prop Stefano Utoikamanu (foot) is back while fellow front-rower Fonua Pole will make his NRL debut.
1. Daine Laurie 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Starford To’a 4. James Roberts 5. Ken Maumalo 6. Luke Brooks 7. Jackson Hastings 8. James Tamou 9. Fa’amanu Brown 10. Zane Musgrove 11. Luke Garner 12. Kelma Tuilagi 13. Joe Ofahengaue 14. Stefano Utoikamanu 15. Adam Doueihi 16. Alex Seyfarth 17. Fonua Pole 18. Asu Kepaoa 19. Junior Tupou 20. Austin Dias 21. Jacob Liddle 22. Justin Matamua
Dragons: Ben Hunt hurt his ankle on Origin duty for the Maroons and may be forced to sit this match out.
1. Cody Ramsey 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Jack de Belin 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack Bird 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Tariq Sims 14. Moses Mbye 15. Francis Molo 16. Aaron Woods 17. Michael Molo 18. Josh Kerr 19. Tautau Moga 20. Jayden Sullivan 21. Jaiyden Hunt 22. Billy Burns
Raiders: Jack Wighton is over the COVID-19 bout which ruled him out of Origin II. His return squeezes Matt Frawley back to the reserves while Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (hamstring) is also looking to return via the bench.
1. Xavier Savage 2. Nick Cotric 3. Matthew Timoko 4. Sebastian Kris 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Josh Papalii 9. Zac Woolford 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Adam Elliott 14. Tom Starling 15. Ryan Sutton 16. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 17. Corey Horsburgh 18. Matt Frawley 19. Corey Harawira-Naera 20. Trey Mooney 21. Semi Valemei 22. Adrian Trevilyan