1. Not quite correct. He missed 1 season in his career with injuries. Sure, a few throughout his career, but the most serious one was suffered in a car crash. Nothing to do with his play.
The Panthers are in a total organisational rebuild. They moved on as they didn’t want to pay him $19 million in 2020 and his guaranteed money was gone.
2. Like I said, for the merits of signing Kap, why he was cut by the 9ers has nothing to do with it.
3. Their passing metrics are almost identical over a career sample, whether you look at completion % or adjusted yards per attempt. Cam has a higher TD and INT rate, which makes sense as he is a more aggressive passer and looks to force the ball downfield. He is a far superior runner. All of his career stats check that out – he might be the best rusher at the QB position of all time in terms of sheer output. He also has an NFL MVP to his name, and makes throws on a rope that I don’t recall Kap seeing make. I could just not have seen those though.
4. We don’t know that – but the organisation has made no moves. They clearly think highly of him and are more than happy with Hoyer as a backup as seen in multiple seasons before. We will only find out what Stidham has if he plays.
5. I don’t see Kap taking a $1 million 1 year deal to be a backup, but if he did, they are better teams out there that would fit his skill set, and not completely eat up the rest of their cap space. Ravens come to mind, esp with Greg Roman there, as do the Bills.
Making absolutely zero comment on the reasons for Kap not playing the last few years, but there is zero % chance of this happening.
Firstly, the Pats have less than $1.5m in cap space remaining.
Secondly, if they weren’t planning to ride with Stidham there are other QBs available like Newton who is not only a better QB than Kap, but has been better more recently. It has been many years since Kap played at a high level in the NFL. He will also turn 33 in November, meaning it will be nearly 4 years since we saw him play at an NFL level. His game is predicated on athleticism that is likely diminished as well.
The organisation is very high on Stidham, and he is actually a mobile QB himself I was all for the Pats to sign Newton, but it’s clear that is not happening. They need to see what they have and the only way that happens is by letting him play.
Dak should not blink. Jerry messed this up when they didn’t get this done earlier in the season. With the cap rising, and Mahomes pending new deal going to blow out the top 5 franchise number in 2021 (in a double tag situation), Jerry will have to give him what he wants (4 years) or up the total guarantees over 5 years.