Big Brother TV coming to the A-League

Athas Zafiris Roar Guru

By Athas Zafiris, Athas Zafiris is a Roar Guru

, , ,

Melbourne Victory FC fans celebrate their team scoring a goal against Perth Glory FC during their A-League match at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, Sunday, Nov. 20, 2011.The game ended in a 2-2 draw. (AAP Image/Martin Philbey)

Yesterday I received this email from an anonymous source. I have republished it here in full for the benefit of A-League fans and to promote discourse on this issue.

Dear A-League Club Chairmen,

As you are no doubt aware our exclusive television rights deal with Fox runs out next year. I know we have had our differences in the past few years but I really need a big, big favour.

The very reason I was appointed CEO of the FFA was due to my ability to bring home the bacon with the new TV rights deals.

Check out my whiz-bang spiel printed in Daily Telegraph on TV innovation in the A-League.

“The experience for the TV viewer watching Australian sport has changed rapidly in the past few years. Football needs to embrace these trends to win our fair share of the audience in a highly competitive sports market.

New broadcast technology allows for innovations that take the viewer closer to the action and behind the scenes. They are new ways to tell the great stories and drama of a football match. The A-League has started to embrace these opportunities.”

Pretty impressive, don’t you think?

Anyway, I have been chatting to some of the producers at Fox Sports and they reckon I will be able to get some extra coin if you allow them to invade the privacy of the manager and his players in the dressing room.

We at the FFA think it’s a brilliant idea.

Fox Sports will set up microphones and cameras in the dressing room in order broadcast the manager’s address and players chatting to each other. The A-League is family friendly product and to meet this requirement Fox Sports will put in a small delay to allow for the bleeping out of foul language.

In order to boost the value of this innovation I am requesting Sydney FC and Melbourne Heart not to appoint foreign managers next season. What we need right now is style in the dressing room. Style on the football pitch will have to take a backseat.

For this to work we need managers fluent in the English language.

Neil Warnock is a perfect example.

We tested the bleeper on him and he passed with flying colours.

You will also be pleased to know that in my ceaseless pursuit to add value to the new TV deal I have spoken with the producers of Big Brother. They reckon I can get the A-League on free to air by allowing them to make a version “Up Late” by selling them the footage of the boys in the showers and the managers giving their team a bollocking with the bleeper off.

As you very well know gentlemen: “There is no business like show business.”

So if you want to receive the biggest dividend possible to fund your cash strapped club then I implore you to get your managers and players to sign their privacy away.

My legacy is in your hands.

Sincerely Yours,

Mr Buckley

Athas Zafiris is on Twitter @ArtSapphire

• February 15th 2012 @ 9:07am
      futbanous said | February 15th 2012 @ 9:07am | ! Report

Now Athas wheres the video of Mick McCarthys post sacking interview. Theres a real big brother rivalry between Barnsley(junior) & Sheffield(senior). Just wonder who comes out on top in the cussing competition. Mick born in Barnsley or Neil born in Sheffield.
      Would put my money on Mick,wouldn’t want to be outdone by a Sheffielder.

• February 15th 2012 @ 11:12am
        Wolfie said | February 15th 2012 @ 11:12am | ! Report

Mick’s nose would prohibit Warnock from getting near him to land a blow.

• February 15th 2012 @ 9:36am
      jmac said | February 15th 2012 @ 9:36am | ! Report

I presume we would get to see the ding dong in the tunnel b/w besart and whoever he feels like fighting at the time. bring it on!

• February 15th 2012 @ 10:32am
        Rasmus Hald said | February 15th 2012 @ 10:32am | ! Report

Maybe Fox could introduce refereeing for that as well, bill it as a TRIPLE-header…
        “Get BOTH first AND second half, and if you buy it now, you too can have access to the fully covered post-match “Berisha Brawl ™”, complete with post-fight analysis and commentary.

It’d be funny if it wasn’t so sad… I don’t get it, if they broadcast the locker-room talk, are they going to stop doing the half-time analysis in stead?

February 15th 2012 @ 9:47am
      The Cattery said | February 15th 2012 @ 9:47am | ! Report

I love the Warnock clip.

Here is another local example of a well known audio clip that has done the rounds the last few years, where a footy coach loses his cool after his team led at half time by 70 points only to lose the game by 3 pts, and a reminder why miking up coaches on game day is not always a great idea:

• February 15th 2012 @ 11:41am
        Bondy said | February 15th 2012 @ 11:41am | ! Report

The Cattery.
        I copped a few of those playing first team football about twenty years ago, and yes those were the days .

• February 15th 2012 @ 9:50am
      B.A Sports said | February 15th 2012 @ 9:50am | ! Report

If i send you an annonymous email containing an email i received from say Frank Lowy, or perhaps the one i got from Donald Duck will you post that on this site as well?
      🙂

• February 15th 2012 @ 1:43pm
        Midfielder said | February 15th 2012 @ 1:43pm | ! Report

B.A.

The mail does not exist … he is refering to the fact that FFA are wantig to listen into half time talks by the coach…. its’s called streching the truth…

• February 15th 2012 @ 10:32am
      jmac said | February 15th 2012 @ 10:32am | ! Report

but quite seriously, if you read mike c’s article today on depression among professional footballers:

(and you should ALL read this, given we all post about players in forums like this)

in ooncert with art’s piece above, we should draw the conclusion that respect and privacy are paramount to professional athletes already under enormous and relentless pressure to perform and meet high expectations, and subject to continual criticism. in this environment, the dressing room is a place they can go off at one another or themselves knowing what happens will never leave the sheds.

if he’s serious, buckley’s idea should be stopped in it’s tracks. cameras in the dressing room – as they currently are – is probably a step too far already.

• February 15th 2012 @ 11:02am
        Athas Zafiris said | February 15th 2012 @ 11:02am | ! Report

Thanks jmac for the great comment and the link.

• February 15th 2012 @ 11:10am
      Wolfie said | February 15th 2012 @ 11:10am | ! Report

FFA need to focus on serious issues instead of proposing gimmicks. If FFA could connect with “old soccer” and those that play every weekend in winter then the game would do just fine.

Perhaps FFA is spurred on by the 5 games in one day gimmick which was deemed a success. Whilst I also enjoyed watching heaps of games the reaction would’ve been different if every game was a bore draw.

If FFA want a hint for a gimmick my advise would be FFA Cup.

• February 15th 2012 @ 12:31pm
        Kasey said | February 15th 2012 @ 12:31pm | ! Report

Wolfie, I suggest you try yourself to talk to anybody connected with ‘ old-soccer’ If you thought current football fans were only to eager to play the victim card, then you really ought to get a load of some of the woe-is us gripes emanating from that sector f football fans. They believe that the SocAus and FFA had it in for them for years leading to the demise of the NSL and the establishment of the HAL. I reckon there is absolutely nothing that the FFA can do to reach out the olive branch to them now. That bridge is well and truly burned. Assuming an FFA Cup gets off the ground, no matter what format it takes it will inevitably create more ‘reasons why the FFA is out to get old soccer’ and I predict will please nobody. For proper reconciliation to take place, both parties have to want to come together and I just don’t get the impression that one of the 2 parties in the old soccer/new football schism care enough about each other to bother trying. The only way I see it happening is if FFA Stumble across a metric truckload of money somehow(TV rights deals, sponsorship, any how – any way) and old Soccer decides it needs to play nice to get a slice of that pie. Even then, I can’t see why FFA would bother with a sector that is constantly bad mouthing and white-anting the HAL with ultra-negativity supposedly from within the football community itself. FFA have shown they are negligent in recognizing the history of the game in this country prior to 2005 and the only way see that changing is by current fans showing the interest and initiative to get educated about what went before the current set up. Again, even that takes 2 parties. Who is going to want to learn about the history of the game when those that lived it and were so passionate about it are quick to ridicule “new dawners” and ‘plastic fans”? If they show even the slightest ignorance or disrespect (perceived or real) to old soccer. If this sounds like I am blaming one party over the other, then perhaps I am sick of being called childish names and having the olive branch shoved back in MY face when I try to learn more about the history of the game here. I speak from personal experience. I can only imagine how bad it must be for those only just getting interested in football and not yet a die-hard like me.

• February 15th 2012 @ 2:02pm
          Wolfie said | February 15th 2012 @ 2:02pm | ! Report

Kasey, I have those conversations nearly everyday, usually with old Hellas and Alexandros supporters, and am aware of the conspiracy theories. Funny thing is most of these guys choose not to attend games but will still watch A-league on TV so in that way are very much supporting the game. The other thing about them is none of them attend VPL games.

ps: I’m old school, can remember my team Heidelberg winning things.

, , ,