All Whites: What a story!

mactheblack Roar Rookie

What a story! What a shock! New Zealand All Whites’ thoroughly deserve praise for holding Italy to a 1-1 draw in Nelspruit.

Must admit, I, like many of local football fans in South Africa, don’t even know the names of the New Zealand players, except for captain, Ryan Nelsen. Italy’s big names roll off the tongue quite easily: Camaronesi, Cannavaro, etc. The big name players who could not beat their opponents, who were playing in only their second World Cup.

For a team having to qualify against teams like the Solomon Islands, coach Ricki Herbert after this showing can really build on a team for the future. They need to invest – and invest properly in this team, both strategically and financially.

They gave everyone a taste of what was possibly in store after a good showing in last year’s Confederations Cup in SA. What was really satisfying was the fact that New Zealand thoroughly deserved this result. A rock-solid defence allied with keen tactical awareness won the day.

Kudos to the goalkeeper – in my book the man of the match. He gave a sublime goalkeeping display, a pillar of stone in the defensive line, together with his colleagues.

A win would have been even sweeter, more historic. A draw is the result but a victory of huge significance to New Zealand. It’s not about how poorly Italy’s millionaires played on the day – that would be taking the credit away from New Zealand. They fought like tigers, defended like demons and gave the Italians a run for their money.

The night the bunch of mostly part-timers did ‘The Italian Job’. Italy don’t even deserve a mention – it was incredibly New Zealand’s night.

Do you find yourself logged out of The Roar?
    We have just switched over to a secure site (https). This means you will need to log-in afresh. If you need help with recovering your password, please get in contact.

This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

June 21st 2010 @ 2:32am
      dasilva said | June 21st 2010 @ 2:32am | ! Report

It was a great result but “The night the bunch of mostly part-timers” is a bit inaccurate. Only Ivan Vicelich and the substitute Andrew Barron is a part time who plays in the New Zealand Semi-Professional league. You may count Simon Elliot who is currently without a club but his last club was in the MLS. The rest are professionals abeit playing in some unfashionable club in the A-league, Major League Soccer and the lower leagues in England.

• June 21st 2010 @ 5:26am
        Socboy said | June 21st 2010 @ 5:26am | ! Report

Oh god there always has to be someone trying to take something away from New Zealands effort.
        Do you realise how petty you sound?

This wasw a fantastic result for New Zealand football and I am off to work one very happy Kiwi, and it’s a Monday!!!

June 21st 2010 @ 9:03am
          AndyRoo said | June 21st 2010 @ 9:03am | ! Report

Do you know how silly you sound!

Dasilva is just pointing out these players actualy have some decent credentials and a lot of them are full tiem pros.

It’s actually you that sounds disrespectful in insisting Ryan Nelson be called a semi pro.

NZ are the good news story of this world cup Socboy…. you should bloody enjoy it rather than getting upset.

• June 21st 2010 @ 9:31am
            Socboy said | June 21st 2010 @ 9:31am | ! Report

sounds like the classic case of sour grapes.

Not to mention the making up of rubbish by you.

Show me where I have said Nelsen is a part time player come on I would love for you to show me.

Seems your research and quoting skills are as inept as the Italian team at the moment

• June 21st 2010 @ 9:53am
              Maximus said | June 21st 2010 @ 9:53am | ! Report

Socboy. We are behind you. Full stop.

June 21st 2010 @ 10:02am
              AndyRoo said | June 21st 2010 @ 10:02am | ! Report

Article Quote “The night the bunch of mostly part-timers did ‘The Italian Job’”
              Dasilva ““The night the bunch of mostly part-timers” is a bit inaccurate. Only Ivan Vicelich and the substitute Andrew Barron is a part time who plays in the New Zealand Semi-Professional league.”
              Sookboy “Do you realise how petty you sound?”

So why were you upset with Dasilvas remarks? His pointing out that the starting 11 have 10 professionals and one former professional (Vicelich) is completely accurate and not demeaning. I actually think it’s insulting and patronizing to disagree with him, do you work for the BBC?

I brought up Nelson as an egample rather than list the entire team but Smeltz, Fallon, Wood, Killen, Elliot, Bertos, Smith, Nelson, Paston and Reid all strike me as deserving more than ” bunch of mostly part-timers “. It doesn’t dimminish from their achievment at all too be insulted and think that it does means I think you don’t quite grasp how big an achievment this is! Theirs no diminishing it.

Their aint no sour grapes here….. I have Kiwi parents and have more than likely been to more all Whites (admittedly cheering for the opposition) games than you and was 100% on board the Kiwis when they Played Bahrain, Slovakia and Italy.

• June 21st 2010 @ 10:26am
                Socboy said | June 21st 2010 @ 10:26am | ! Report

So you still can’t show me where I said Ryan Nelsen is a part timer, you instead go on with some long winded spiel and still can not prove anywhere where I said something you accuse me of saying.

One word for you starts with M ends with a t

And now you resort to saying you have been to more matches than me, how could you possibly ever know?
                You are just digging a deeper hole for youself

just incase you haven’t worked out the missing letters I’ll help you out .uppe…

June 21st 2010 @ 11:06am
                AndyRoo said | June 21st 2010 @ 11:06am | ! Report

I clarified what I was implying if you think the team is a” bunch of mostly part-timers” (you hammered Desilva for questioning it ) then you are going along with 5 or so out of the starting 11 are semi pros.10 of the 11 play for fully professional clubs and the one that doesn’t has 8 years in dutch football under his belt.
                Craig Moore and Ruka who nhave played both game so far don’t have a club …doesn’t make the socceroos a team of amateurs.

Well it wasn’t a **** measuring statement was letting you know it’s not sour grapes, I’m thrilled for NZ . But if I had to guess I would say you’re a Rugby fan because their the only ones who would think this achievement would be diminished by the players be professional, no football fan in the entire world thinks that.
                Fair enough get on the bandwagon Socboy but I really think you are misreading things if you think NZ’s achievement is being diminished by pointing out that NZ football is not ***house. And don’t start bagging people that were on the bandwagon before you!

Andyroo suggesting we play against NZ every year
                Andyroo celebrating NZ qualification.
                More Andyroo celebrating NZ qualifying for the world cup, so you don’t have to click on the link here’s the quote
                o My absolute favorite was NZ vs Bahrain fan comments before that match. Especially given NZ qualified for the world cup
                Best quotes from Mohammed of Bahrain
                “Bahrain for sure, they have experience and New Zealand is under pressure at home and in front of their own fans. The first leg proved that we are the better side. ”
                What did you learn about the other team?
                “B -We are better than them. They are a very average team and play old-fashioned football. I didn’t see any strengths that New Zealand had. ”
                Who is the dangerman from the opposition?
                “B -I can’t say that I know any. I doubt that there are any dangerous players in the New Zealand team

• June 21st 2010 @ 2:00pm
                Socboy said | June 21st 2010 @ 2:00pm | ! Report

Another baseless attempt to justify your attack on me at the beginning of this thread,

Now you make even more ridiculous assumptions and accuse me of being a bandwagon jumper it just get’s even better.

I’ll leave you to do the name calling and make assumptions because it is hysterical at best.

You make false accusations and couldn’t prove I had said anything so you take your rant in a whole new direction now that is Classy I’ll give you three points for that effort!!

• June 21st 2010 @ 2:16pm
                dasilva said | June 21st 2010 @ 2:16pm | ! Report

You didn’t say that Ryan Nelsen is a part timer but you called me sour grapes for pointing out the team is not full of a part timer. The Ryan Nelson being called a part timer is a perfect analogy to why that statement “mostly part timers” is incorrect

The fact is its disrespectful to the players of New Zealand to be considered part timers. Most of them are professional footballers and all of them had played professional football in the past.

• June 21st 2010 @ 2:19pm
                Socboy said | June 21st 2010 @ 2:19pm | ! Report

And there you go again assuming comments were made towards you, when in actuality they were not.
                My comment was made in response to Andy roo not you at all Dasilva.

So how about you stop reacting before reading and follow the thread it is not I who have resorted to underhand tactics in this column at all, the name calling and assumptions are coming from you, Andy and Chris funny that

June 21st 2010 @ 2:28pm
                AndyRoo said | June 21st 2010 @ 2:28pm | ! Report

I will keep it simple then

Who are the part time players in the NZ starting 11?

I count 1….. Australia has one without a club at all in our starting 11.

• June 21st 2010 @ 2:47pm
                Socboy said | June 21st 2010 @ 2:47pm | ! Report

Like I said show me where I have said they were part timers Andy,

I have not even mentioned that but somehow you have tried to twist anything into an argument.
                Go away and come back when you have some solid facts because as of now you are just making up a whole load of rubbish!

• June 21st 2010 @ 3:11pm
                dasilva said | June 21st 2010 @ 3:11pm | ! Report

You never said that they were part timers and yet you criticise me for saying they weren’t part timers and then you criticize Andyroo for defending the comments about part-timers

If you weren’t upset about my remarks that they weren’t part timers

What was about my comments that cause you to take away the achievement of the New Zealand. What was my comments that caused you think I was petty?

Until you are going to address what caused you to start the accusation it was perfectly reasonable for Andyroo to assume that the issues was about the part-timer comment

• June 21st 2010 @ 1:08pm
          dasilva said | June 21st 2010 @ 1:08pm | ! Report

I’m not too sure how I’m trying to diminish New Zealand’s effort

Team of A-leaguers, MLS players and lower leagues in England drawing with a team with mostly Serie A players is a great achievement

Nevertheless they are not part-timers.

June 21st 2010 @ 3:27am
      Poth Ale said | June 21st 2010 @ 3:27am | ! Report

Amazing result. Reminds of the time when Ireland beat Italy 1-0 in the WC in 1994. Great result for another minnow nation at this World Cup in which the star teams have really failed to shine.

• June 21st 2010 @ 7:22am
      sheek said | June 21st 2010 @ 7:22am | ! Report

The magnificent performance of the All Whites is putting the Socceroos’ tepid effort to date under the spotlight.

We have the better players, the bigger names, but we’re struggling. It opens up a lot of questions I don’t want to answer right now…..

But great stuff, Kiwis….. !

• June 21st 2010 @ 8:54am
      jimbo said | June 21st 2010 @ 8:54am | ! Report

The Kiwis are made up of mostly A-League players with a lot of heart. Smeltz and Paston play in the A-League.

Hopefully with Pim gone we will pick our best players from now on and not those on the biggest pay packets sitting on the benches of some of the most famous clubs in the world,

• June 21st 2010 @ 9:19am
      Harry said | June 21st 2010 @ 9:19am | ! Report

Great stuff New Zealand.
      At least one NZ football team knows how to play above itself in a World Cup!
      (Sorry OJ and other kiwi’s, couldn’t resist a cheap shot).

• June 21st 2010 @ 10:01am
        DaMan3000 said | June 21st 2010 @ 10:01am | ! Report

I think that’s fair enough eh! 🙂 Are we gonna wear our black away strip v Paraguay?

• June 21st 2010 @ 10:36am
          Harry said | June 21st 2010 @ 10:36am | ! Report

Hows things in NZ? Nationwide support and world cup fever taking hold I hope. Good luck to them, a great story.

• June 21st 2010 @ 9:33am
      Socboy said | June 21st 2010 @ 9:33am | ! Report

Maybe Australia might want to come crawling back and play a team who know how to compete lol

Australasia doesn’t seem to bad now does it 🙂

• June 21st 2010 @ 11:52am
        AA said | June 21st 2010 @ 11:52am | ! Report

No, we still don’t want to play NZ.

, , , , , , ,