Palu keen to repay Waratahs

By AAP,

, , ,

Waratahs coach Michael Foley has hailed Wycliff Palu’s decision to extend his contract with NSW as a massive vote of confidence in the Super Rugby outfit’s current roster.

Palu will remain with NSW for at least another season after signing a new one-year deal.

“It’s a great endorsement for the guys that he plays with,” Foley said.

“They’re a good bunch of blokes and he wants to keep playing with them.

“He’s one of those rare forwards that has that x-factor, he can do things in a game that other people can’t.”

The 29-year-old Palu, capped 38 times by the Wallabies, feels another season in the NSW and Australian system will help him become the dominant force he was before being hampered by injuries in recent times.

“At the moment I’ve finally got back to where I am playing footy week in, week out, and if I was to leave, all that hard work would be undone,” Palu said.

“After another six months playing here, and another full pre-season I think I’ll definitely be back to where I want to be.”

The dynamic No.8, who attracted interest from Japanese clubs, said that playing overseas is an option he is keen to explore when his next contract expires at the end of 2013 season.

After a frustrating 23-6 loss to the Brumbies last weekend, Foley said his team is looking forward to returning home to Allianz Stadium.

“We can’t get away from the fact that we are very disappointed about the result from the weekend,” he said.

“We spoke today about significance of playing in front of our home crowd.”

In-form winger Tom Kingston remains a key injury concern for the Waratahs as they prepare for Friday night’s clash with the Bulls.

“He got a nasty quad cork, which at the moment is the thing stopping him from training, not his hamstring,” Foley said.

Hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, who suffered a heavy head-knock against the Brumbies, will also be assessed later in the week.

“He’s not too bad today although we sent him home so he could take a little bit longer to recuperate,” Foley said.

“We’re hopeful, but we won’t be making any hasty calls.”

© AAP 2018

• May 8th 2012 @ 2:53am
      Sailosi said | May 8th 2012 @ 2:53am | ! Report

This is the problem with the Tahs, they have to start finding and developing new talent. Cliffy has been a wonderful servant for NSW and a very good player but at the age of 30 he has been part of a generation of NSW underperforming and it’s time for some new blood.

Comment left via The Roar’s iPhone app. Download The Roar’s iPhone App in the App Store here.

• May 8th 2012 @ 6:42am
      kingplaymaker said | May 8th 2012 @ 6:42am | ! Report

Sailosi I wonder if Palu won’t last longer than many though. There’s something about the vast power he brings that doesn’t strike me as something that will age as quickly as others, rather like Petero Civoniceva. Somehow I wouldn’t be suprised at all to see Palu make it to the next RWC. His real problem is injury.

• May 8th 2012 @ 7:32am
      Sailosi said | May 8th 2012 @ 7:32am | ! Report

No KPM, they have to make a statement. Mumm, Halangahu, Carter, Palu, Ashley-Cooper all have to be shown the door. One problem with the backrow is speed and Palu has lost that. For mine the waratahs should be looking at somebody like Talelei Gray, a young Melbourne boy who has been wonderful for Biarritz, he’s big, fast and whacks in defence.

• May 8th 2012 @ 7:49am
      kingplaymaker said | May 8th 2012 @ 7:49am | ! Report

Sailosi I agree with you on all those other players who are either completely past it or were never more than average. But I’m slightly mystified by your view on Palu who when fit has looked to me a devastating ball runnner and tackler, since I think it was the 2010 or 2009 spring tour.

I wonder how much AAC is being paid in fact.

• May 8th 2012 @ 8:29am
      Sailosi said | May 8th 2012 @ 8:29am | ! Report

He’s just never grabbed me as a player, he makes crucial errors at important times, he just seems clumsy.

• May 8th 2012 @ 8:32am
      kingplaymaker said | May 8th 2012 @ 8:32am | ! Report

Ok-I thought the same thing until that spring tour when he seemed to me to finally gain consistency and make continuous impact at that level, although he has been injured pretty much all the time since. In any case if he stays fit a verdict will be possible sooner rather than later.

, , ,