Live scores
Live Commentary
Chiefs
vs
Waratahs : 14
| 16:00

Foley impressed by enthusiastic Beale

Bernard Foley has hailed the passion and positivity of his returning fellow playmaker Kurtley Beale and believes they can bring some unpredictability to the Wallabies.

Beale has recently returned from a stint with the Wasps club in England, where he suffered a hamstring injury.

He is expected to be fit for Australia’s first Bledisloe Cup and Rugby Championship match on August 19 and appears the leading contender for the No.12 jersey.

‘I think what’s really impressed me me since he’s back is his passion and enthusiasm to play in the Wallaby jersey,” five-eighth Foley said.

“He made it really clear why he came home, because he wanted to make the most out of his Wallaby jersey

“The time he went away I think that probably hit home to him how much he missed the Wallaby jersey.

“I think its really exciting to have him back in a really positive frame of mind.

“I’m really looking forward to working with him, so we can express ourselves and play a style that we’re really proud of and that has a lot of variation and we’re not predictable and that hopefully we can challenge sides defensively.”

Foley’s long-time rival for the Australian No.10 shirt, Quade Cooper, missed out on the extended train-on squad.

“Quade is a quality player and he’s done a lot for the Wallaby jersey, so it is a bit of a surprise for me,” Foley said.

Although he was the only specialist five-eighth named in the extended squad with utility Beale as his back-up, Foley laughed off the suggestion the Wallabies would be in trouble if he got injured

“There are people to fill my role if required, so I don’t think I’m definitely a shoo-in or essential to the side,” he said.

Cooper and himself were the only regular Australian-qualified five-eighths starting in Super Rugby, with two New Zealanders and a South African filling the other spots, but Foley felt it was a cyclical issue.

“It’s been disappointing seeing the tens at a number of the franchises not being Australian, but I think it really goes in ebbs and flows,” Foley said.

“A couple of years ago we were very blessed in that position.”

He said there was some younger talent emerging in Mack Mason at the Waratahs and Hamish Stewart at the Reds.

© AAP 2018

• August 4th 2017 @ 5:46am
      Ken Catchpole's Other. Leg said | August 4th 2017 @ 5:46am | ! Report

Here we go.
      Firstly I repeat, I have deep respect for Bernard and the courage and surprising running game he brings to every game at every level. Not to mention some game clinching kicks he has managed at times.
      Great respect for the bloke.
      But what is Cheiks thinking if Bernard twists an ankle? A baptism by fire for a part-time or apprentice 10?
      Who is our reserve 10?
      (This leaves aside the essential question of who has the best core 10 skills in the country, and has done for 6 years.)

Secondly, why is Bernard allowed to talk to the media? Especially about such unhelpful topics as another player’s ‘training form’? I remember when Nick Phipps would speak just so before a shocker.

Love ya Bernard. Very grateful for some fantastic games you have gifted us and I wish you well. But the logic of your selectors and mangers is confounding.

• August 4th 2017 @ 10:04am
        Wolman said | August 4th 2017 @ 10:04am | ! Report

the reserve ten is beale… didn’t you read the article?

August 4th 2017 @ 4:18pm
          Timbo (L) said | August 4th 2017 @ 4:18pm | ! Report

Beale will be an active reserve – If foley goes down, he will step into 10 and a bench player at fullback or 12 will fill the role.

• August 5th 2017 @ 9:38pm
        London Waratah said | August 5th 2017 @ 9:38pm | ! Report

BEALE!!

• August 4th 2017 @ 6:13am
      Ruckin' Oaf said | August 4th 2017 @ 6:13am | ! Report

Hope he’s right. But talking up the team BEFORE playing the AB’s has been a bit of a Wallaby speciality before today.

• August 4th 2017 @ 8:34am
        jameswm said | August 4th 2017 @ 8:34am | ! Report

Can you point out the quotes where Foley was talking up the team?

• August 4th 2017 @ 9:20am
          OZ Rugby Fan said | August 4th 2017 @ 9:20am | ! Report

Jameswm, you’ve been here long enough to know that just interviewing a Tah or Wallaby, no matter what they say, is the equivalent of talking a team up 🙂

• August 4th 2017 @ 9:58am
          Ruckin Oaf said | August 4th 2017 @ 9:58am | ! Report

“they can bring some unpredictability to the Wallabies”
          “his passion and enthusiasm to play in the Wallaby jersey”
          ” he wanted to make the most out of his Wallaby jersey”
          “how much he missed the Wallaby jersey. ”
          “we can express ourselves and play a style that we’re really proud “

• August 7th 2017 @ 11:04pm
            Shakes said | August 7th 2017 @ 11:04pm | ! Report

Still waiting for you to answer jameswm’s question.

• August 8th 2017 @ 10:27am
              Ruckin Oaf said | August 8th 2017 @ 10:27am | ! Report

Hey Shakes,

Well I have provided
              1. Quotes
              2. Quotes from Bernard Foley
              3. Quotes where Bernard Foley was talking up the team.

I think that pretty much deals with every element of Jameswm’s question.

• August 4th 2017 @ 10:05am
        Wolman said | August 4th 2017 @ 10:05am | ! Report

Beale played for Wasps

hang on your 2nd remark… just no! not cool! not okay!

• August 4th 2017 @ 6:27am
      Ed said | August 4th 2017 @ 6:27am | ! Report

Ken,
      Phipps spoke to the media yesterday too.

A quote from Nick sticks out but I hope they have done more than that in camp:
      “The last three weeks we’ve just been doing fitness, we haven’t done any team stuff so I can’t even give you a hint.”
      In another SMH article, the players will begin a week of greater emphasis on skill-based training on Sunday where the “relentless” fitness sessions will end for more rugby-specific training.

If true, they haven’t been working on their defence patterns? This especially so with the likelihood of the Foley/Beale 10-12 combo and the associated defensive tango. We have let in 24 tries in the past five tests against the ABs.
      Or practicing kick clearances out of the 22?

• August 4th 2017 @ 7:46am
        Drongo said | August 4th 2017 @ 7:46am | ! Report

It’s a good strategy though. We have a season of test matches not just the 1st Bled against the ABs. Cheika wants them super fit and they will be. It’s the base you need for success and let’s face it, we are at very long odds to win the first Bled even if they do skills work 16 hours a day for a month.

• August 4th 2017 @ 9:12am
          Ed said | August 4th 2017 @ 9:12am | ! Report

I am travelling to Sydney to see one team perform the basics well and expect the other side, mine, to lose by 20 points. We dropped balls and passes went awry early in the Scotland and Italy matches, that cannot be down to fitness.
          As the players will be fitter, when we lose the focus can be placed on tactics, selections, skills, defence etc.

If we had our first tests of the Rugby Championship either away in South Africa or Argentina, or matches against them here in alternate years would make it easier but we begin the series with home and away against NZ. This sets the tone for the rest of the RC for local supporters.

A figure from the first Bledisloe to note will be the crowd. Last year’s 65328 was the lowest Bledisloe crowd at Homebush by over 3000. Since the reconfiguration of the Olympic Stadium after the 2001 season, the average crowd for a Bledisloe there has been 76200. Three of the past four matches have been below 70,000.

• August 4th 2017 @ 9:30am
            OZ Rugby Fan said | August 4th 2017 @ 9:30am | ! Report

I too will be heading down to watch the first test. Having watched the car crash that is Aussie Super Rugby this year, I’m not expecting a lot from the Wallabies in this match, but I will be cheering along for my team anyway. I’m expecting to be part of a record low crowd though.

August 4th 2017 @ 9:31am
        Atawhai Drive said | August 4th 2017 @ 9:31am | ! Report

They haven’t just been doing fitness.

Last Friday morning I went to Newcastle’s No 2 Sportsground to watch the Wallabies train. This was not an “open” session _ they had one of those scheduled for the afternoon, all members of the public welcome.

But No 2 Sportsground is open-ended, so anyone can watch from a distance. Closer inspection revealed that a gate at the back of the stand was open, so I went in and with five other assorted tragics had a literally grandstand view of the “action”.

Inverted commas because it was by far the least dynamic training session by an international team that I’ve witnessed. There was a fair bit of fitness work and it was evident that some players were doing it tough. I got there just after 9am, so perhaps they had already been hard at work for an hour.

The emphasis switched to defence, with Nathan Grey calling the shots in his inimitable style. The full squad divided into groups, with five attackers lining up against five defenders, and the defenders required to move up in unison. They seemed to manage this quite well, but what surprised me was the slack passing of the attackers. Passes went too high, too low, went behind the receiver _ but even OK passes went to ground anyway.

The coaches of the humble teams I played for long ago always urged us to bring maximum intensity to our training sessions. Maybe the Wallabies do it differently. Or maybe they were just at an early and less intense stage of their preparation for the big games ahead. As an outsider, it’s impossible to know just what a team is trying to achieve during an individual session, and it’s easy to form a false impression.

The session was captured on film by a drone, presumably for later analysis. To me, the session lacked snap, with little evidence of real enthusiasm. As we all know, the Waratahs allegedly trained well this year but their training-paddock performance was not repeated in matches. We’ll hope the Wallabies save their best efforts for the Rugby Championship.

• August 4th 2017 @ 10:22am
          Ed said | August 4th 2017 @ 10:22am | ! Report

Thanks for the insight AD.
          I guess we will see what formation Grey has been working on in fifteen days. If our handling/passing is what you observed, the defence will be getting a solid workout.

• August 4th 2017 @ 8:19am
      EnoughisEnough said | August 4th 2017 @ 8:19am | ! Report

I’d like Foley’s next presser to be something along the lines of “look, I realise that I’m not the best 10 in Australia, and that my continued selection is solely due to me kicking the winning points for Cheiks 3 years ago in the SR final. I know I shouldn’t be taking the exits and the kicks for touch, because others are much better at it than me, but I’m a bit of a control freak, and I can’t control the game, so i’ve got to take some control somewhere. I know my continued selection is wrong, and I know its costing the Wallabies, but I don’t have the strength of character to do the right thing. So I’m sorry Wallabies fans, I really am. I hope you will find a way to forgive me for my selfishness.”
      “Meanwhile, Kurtley has been sending us some really funny pictures of his girlfriend and some other bloke, and Hoops has a new skateboard, and Cheiks has us running up hills, so we are preparing as usual. Look its worked for the tahs, so we plan to do the same for the Wallabies”.

• August 4th 2017 @ 8:36am
        jameswm said | August 4th 2017 @ 8:36am | ! Report

You would?

• August 4th 2017 @ 11:08am
        Dave said | August 4th 2017 @ 11:08am | ! Report

Comment of the year enough. So true which makes this circus all the more depressing

August 4th 2017 @ 11:17am
        eagleJack said | August 4th 2017 @ 11:17am | ! Report

Geez I’m really interested to know who this sensational, out of this world, 10 is that keeps getting overlooked. Watched most games this year and didn’t see him.

I guess he plays with those other magical players, that if they were included, the Wallabies would be unbeatable. We’d get so bored continually putting 50+ points on the ABs.

Meanwhile back in reality 3 of the 5 franchises have 10s who aren’t Australian. We really struggle in the position. And I don’t see it improving anytime soon. Which is terrible news.

• August 4th 2017 @ 3:42pm
          OZ Rugby Fan said | August 4th 2017 @ 3:42pm | ! Report

Well said sir! Gave me a chuckle actually!

August 5th 2017 @ 5:33pm
          Timbo (L) said | August 5th 2017 @ 5:33pm | ! Report

Eagle, I am with you on this one.

Lance, Cooper and Foley are our Viable Options.

I prefer Lance but he can’t stay unbroken.
          Cooper has the attacking vision but his defence needs a lot of work

Jack Debracszeni was shaping up to be a useful 10/15. He needs work on handling – perhaps some work with Mick Byrne would make him international quality.
          Alas he is off to the land of Asahi. More talent squandered.
          McIntyre has potential but he has gone too.

Mack Mason is our last white (headgear) hope. I hope he moves somewhere he can get a regular start.

There is a real lesson here, we need to grow our future not hide them behind our stars. 4 SR sides is going to make this problem worse. If the Rebs stay, he could go play for them

• August 5th 2017 @ 6:12pm
            Ruckin' Oaf said | August 5th 2017 @ 6:12pm | ! Report

“Cooper has the attacking vision but his defence needs a lot of work”

Yep – still better that Foley’s though

• August 5th 2017 @ 6:13pm
          Ruckin' Oaf said | August 5th 2017 @ 6:13pm | ! Report

Hey eagleJack,

If there was another 10 around would it make any difference ?

• Roar Pro

August 4th 2017 @ 8:26am
      swamprat said | August 4th 2017 @ 8:26am | ! Report

Beale has been outstanding here in his time at Wasps. The Lions had a great back 3 which was as good as the NZs and could have won. If the Aus can find another to compliment Beale and Foleau they may have a chance against a not so great kiwi side. They need some muscle up in the front 5 though to make it happen and that’s the connumdrum.

• August 4th 2017 @ 10:17am
        Wolman said | August 4th 2017 @ 10:17am | ! Report

don’t you realise most roarers don’t want to here logical arguments.

This doesn’t suit their anti-tah agenda even if said player was a former or future tah.

even if they’re recognised around the world as test class… doesn’t matter.

• August 4th 2017 @ 10:12pm
          Ken Catchpole's Other. Leg said | August 4th 2017 @ 10:12pm | ! Report

Wolman. I, for one, was at pains to clarify that I am not ‘anti-Tah’. Far from it.
          Despite living close to Moore Park and supporting the Tahs, and whilst admiring the many Qualities of Bernard Foley, I can still see the bleeding obvious.
          Bernard is not the best 10 in Australia.
          Happy to be proved wrong but it’s three years now and his core 10 skills keep pulling up short. Just can’t thread an attack through a quality defence like another 10 from another state.

Also happy for Kurtley to prove to me that he is a test 10. Been following him since he left school. Love his play absolutely. Similarly, I am yet to see his core 10 skills. More of a ball runner than ball player for mine.
          Happy to be proven wrong.

• August 5th 2017 @ 9:46pm
            London Waratah said | August 5th 2017 @ 9:46pm | ! Report

Who is a better 10 than Foley in Australia? Who could have cut England open at Twickers 2.5 yrs ago please tell…Or was that Beale-Foley interchange not quite up to scratch?

PS: Beale played all his school footy at 10 so I think we can relax on that front.

• August 8th 2017 @ 2:22pm
              Ruckin' Oaf said | August 8th 2017 @ 2:22pm | ! Report

“Who could have cut England open at Twickers 2.5 yrs ago please tell…”

I think that statement is telling enough as it is.

England 2.5 years ago. Says it all really.

• August 4th 2017 @ 10:49am
        Ruckin Oaf said | August 4th 2017 @ 10:49am | ! Report

Isn’t Beale playing at 12 though ?

How does that improve the back 3.

• August 4th 2017 @ 5:51pm
          adastra32 said | August 4th 2017 @ 5:51pm | ! Report

To repeat from elsewhere, last season Wasps already had two No 10s (Cipriani, Gopperth who went to 12) and chose to play Beale at 15 most of the time he was fit. And while we’re here, the new Aussie squad face Bill Meakes was conspicuous only in his anonymity when playing for Gloucester before moving home.

Take from that what you will.

August 5th 2017 @ 5:35pm
        Timbo (L) said | August 5th 2017 @ 5:35pm | ! Report

Swamprat,
        What position(s) has he been playing.
        How is his tackle defense? – Has it improved since he last played?

• August 4th 2017 @ 8:41am
      Waxhead said | August 4th 2017 @ 8:41am | ! Report

Foley just like Hooper are classic company yes men.
      Both only ever say everybody is just fabulous, the season is going great, we’ll win for sure next week.
      Blah blah blah …… they are soooo boring and predictable it’s hehehe – not worth commenting on 🙂

• Roar Pro

August 4th 2017 @ 8:46am
        swamprat said | August 4th 2017 @ 8:46am | ! Report

Well you got to remember who pays you before you rebel.

• August 4th 2017 @ 10:16am
        Wolman said | August 4th 2017 @ 10:16am | ! Report

so should he go on TV and air any dirty laundry ie call it a toxic environment? That would be great for team morale would it?

, , ,